Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats the greatest guitar solo ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
METALMICKY said:
Totally subjective and of course depends on what type of music you are in to. I also think you have to decide whether your assessment is based on whether you are acknowledging tecnical expertise, general feel or that the solo is landmark in terms of its moment in time.

I purposefully haven't included any of the great technical players like Malmsteen, Vai or Satriani as too many of their songs are instrumental. If you like play guitar you may love them but for many its just a bit self indulgent and flash for the sake of flash.

:clap: very well said

I'll add Oh Well - Peter Green, what a riff

and for sheel simpleness and effect Pete Thownsends one note solo in I can see for miles, you don't need to be a monster fret wanker to play a good effective solo

Little wing, Hendrix, awesome

most of Abraxas and Santana 3 are pretty brilliant, and some of Disraeli gears

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Little wing, Hendrix, awesome

Good call !!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If we're talking Hendrix then my vote goes to Red House.

"That's ok I've still got my guitar LOOK OUT NOW...."

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
two equals

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Awesome at the Earls Court about 10 years ago, when the big globe in the ceiling moved down during the Gilmour solo (you had to be there pop pickers !

Since Ive been loving You - Led Zep, the way Plant and Page are in unison with guitar and vocals is stunning chemistry.

and Kylies bum, sorry wrong Pop vote.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tsk, these are all cack-handed tone-deaf fumblings compared to Steely Dan and the KID. FACT.

(I toyed with the idea of calling myself Kid Charlemagne on here when I started posting back in about 1913, in tribute to that solo's sheer majesty.)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BobbySmith said:
Since Ive been loving You - Led Zep, the way Plant and Page are in unison with guitar and vocals is stunning chemistry.

good call!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
My favorite changes from day to day, but it is a tossup between, Comfortably Numb, Pink Floyd, or, Jeff Healeys version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
BRIGHTON Rock - Brian May

:clap:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Freebird just has to be one of the best. I would put Santana's Shes Not There a very close second.

If you want a guitarist for sheer innovation and technique it has to be Hendrix, just think how long ago he was doing that stuff.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am not a big fan of the group, but the intro (and outro) from Hotel California by The Eagles (sorry, I know) played on a 12-string Gibson SG is rather fine.

But if it's start-to-finish guitar work you want, how about Hank Marvin's plank-spanking in 'Apache' or 'Wonderful Land' by The Shadows...

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Tom Hark said:
'Freebird' by Lynyrd Skynyrd would be right up there with the best

End of contest.

Tom Hark has got it right.

Nothing else can beat it.

Go home now

Repugnant Toad said:
Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways
Brian May - These are the Days of our Lives
Various Van Halen
Whisky in the Jar (I assume that was Moore again)

Not a chance, it was Eric Bell who did the Whisky solo, Moore wasn't in the band until some 1and a half to 2 years later.
Factoid; Phil Lynott was in Skid Row briefly, with Gary Moore, before forming Thin Lizzy

Bluejuice re; Freebird said:
End of contest.

Tom Hark has got it right.

Nothing else can beat it.

Go home now

Freebird, as was already mentioned, does not actually have a guitar solo in it. Therefore it is disqualified, and no-one is to leave the building.

"solo" means alone, as in only one guitar playing.

Incidentally, having worked on the 'November Rain' GnR video, and although not really caring much about their music,- Slash did indeed do a marvellous solo on that song, and with every take of the vid he changed the solo . There wasn't one take where it wasn't interesting and quality, and the band played other stuff while cameras were setting up - so it was a pleasant surprise and made for a decent night!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Some of my favourites:

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Neil Young - Cortez The Killer
Pat Metheny's solo on Amelia/ Joni Mitchell's Shadows & Light
Richard Thomson - Shoot Out The Lights
Isley Brothers - Summer Breeze
Gong - Isle of Everywhere

The great David Gilmour/Pink Floyd Money&Comfortably Numb
The majestic Eric Clapton/Most anything
The swapping duos/Glen Tipton& K.K. Downing/Judas Priest
The mesmerizing/Eddie Van Halen/Eruption
The unforgetable/Brian May/Brighton Rock(which by the way sounds even better on Live Killers.
Me/thats right,I play a mean air guitar when I'm steamed out of me 'ead.

:lolol: :smokin: :drink: :drunk: :cheers:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Any of Hendrix. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here