Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] What’s the best way to heal the North/South divide?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Blimey this has turned into another Brexit thread, which wasn’t really my intention!

Sounds like a good percentage of people on the thread actually prefer a North/South divide as they’re all so thick oop there?

There’s plenty of evidence that suggests that dissatisfaction with their lot was a major influence in the Brexit referendum.

The fact that Brexit was never the solution doesn’t negate what ended up, at least partially, as a protest vote.

Unfortunately, this event coincided with possibly the worst Labour leader in living memory (I can go back as far as Harold Mcmillan to compare), so many across the country were faced with a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Far more people in the South voted for Boris than in the North. Does that make them thick too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Are you being facetious? BJ went to rub Labours noses in it. Not to thank anyone. Honestly, I don’t know where to begin - how gullible can you be? He’s a proven serial liar. Why are so many taken in by his ‘personality’

Proof?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Fascinating comment. Given that Corbyn told us that only the rich will pay for his spending bonanza, then you must be loaded, not that that bothers me in the slightest, by the way. Or is it the case that you are perhaps not so rich, but realise that despite Corbyn's promise that only the rich will pay, you have picked up, as did the electorate, that we will all pay for eye-watering freebies.

It would have cost me. I don't think I'm loaded but have more money than I need currently. Certainly loaded compared to those about to suffer even more. But much less that the vile super rich that peddle selfish politics to the gullible fools that will suffer.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Some really snobby sanctimonious lefties showing their faces on this thread. No wonder Labour lost so out of touch and elitist.Looking up to the likes of Thornberry and McDonnell as saviours.
How boringly predictable. Let's all be selfish ***** then shall we? Would that feel better?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It would have cost me. I don't think I'm loaded but have more money than I need currently. Certainly loaded compared to those about to suffer even more. But much less that the vile super rich that peddle selfish politics to the gullible fools that will suffer.

Oh well. Just keep it up, as I really have no interest in Labour ever getting in, and with this sort of arrogance, that is going to be the case. Don't people ever learn -don't the voting figures make you at last think that most folk are perhaps not gullible and capable of reflection and consequently voting for change. Your average punter lives in this world with both feet on the ground, and when they are not being listened to by those who consider themselves to be superior, as you clearly do, then they vote as you have just seen.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I know it was akin to Liverpool winning the league and doing a lap of honour at Goodison Park...

Boris is a classless winner...!

Yep, more than a little bit Foret de Compiegne wasn’t it?

Classless as you say. As if any more evidence was needed yet still some couldn’t see it for what it was. Probably still in awe of his ‘charisma’ too...:down:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Oh well. Just keep it up, as I really have no interest in Labour ever getting in, and with this sort of arrogance, that is going to be the case. Don't people ever learn -don't the voting figures make you at last think that most folk are perhaps not gullible and capable of reflection and consequently voting for change. Your average punter lives in this world with both feet on the ground, and when they are not being listened to by those who consider themselves to be superior, as you clearly do, then they vote as you have just seen.
I honestly think the majority of people are thick.

As does Boris Johnson's Dad (subject to DNA test).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, really. Should have been done years ago. And perhaps you didn't read, or didn't understand, the bit about them having an office in London for them to flit in and out of? Or is it the idea of being able to contact offices 'oop north' instantly from London that confuses you?

Well of course you do. This thread has become a remainers love-in and mutual condolence society - all those thick, stupid people ruining your lives/the country/your weekend. Just a shame all those intellectually superior remainers weren't clever enough to put forward a case that would convince the rest of the country, eh?

:facepalm:

Can you explain how you flit out of an office in Birmingham to the houses of Parliament, maybe to vote, then flit back again!!! Possibly two or three times a day.

Build in the midlands and the north west will be pissed off. Build in Manchester and Liverpool will be pissed off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Frankly it’s 10 years of Tory austerity that has got **** all (or very little to do with it. The rot had set in long before that - more like 40 years in fact. So, it is logic. It's just logic that you don't like.

You talk utter garbage. I believe you previously posted on the B thread that you never wanted to join the EU in the first place so is it no surprise that you blame the EU for all the ills. No doubt it was the EU that brought about the demise of the coal industry and nothing to do with the Tories. It was the EU that caused all the bombings from the IRA, it was the EU that caused Mad Cow disease, it was the EU that England went out of the 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998 etc etc world cups etc etc etc etc.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Can you explain how you flit out of an office in Birmingham to the houses of Parliament, maybe to vote, then flit back again!!! Possibly two or three times a day..

Geez! You really do have trouble with reading, don't you - or at least with comprehension. Try reading my post again, and do try to read every word. Particularly concentrate on the bit where I stated, "Give the respective ministers a small office in LONDON (maximum staff of 12 - including office cleaners, no contractors), Install lots of tele-conferencing facilities........
Gawd almighty - some people really are thick! :facepalm:

Build in the midlands and the north west will be pissed off. Build in Manchester and Liverpool will be pissed off.
I suggested, as examples, three ministries moving the bulk of their admin. out of London to three different locations. Leave 'em in London and the Midlands and the north west and Liverpool and Manchester (and did you completely forget, or just discount, the north east?) will be pissed off. Bloody hell, you'd have thought the intelligentsia and chattering classes from uber-liberal London and the home counties would have begun to understand it - at least after the referendum result and the last election. But perhaps they're just not as bright as they think they are.......

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I honestly think the majority of people are thick.

As does Boris Johnson's Dad (subject to DNA test).

A minority of folk is academic and not all are, but that doesn't mean that they are thick. Most folk are graduates of the university of life, and have their feet on the ground. And to think last week someone actually challenged me when I said of all those on NSC who consider themselves to be superior, the most are lefties. IF that is what you believe then fine, just don't moan again when Labour lose another election.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I spoke to a Northerner just before polling day and he was genuinely under the impression that Corbyn was our PM. I asked him how on Earth he could be under that impression. He confusedly explained that things were really bad in the U.K. and he had heard loads of bad stuff about Corbyn. So he thought he’d vote Johnson in for a change.
I’ve heard some thick reasons for voting Tory but that had to top the lot.

Edit: correction, he didn’t think Corbyn was PM he thought he had some kind of joint power and was making decisions for the U.K. I guess he sort of thought he was voting to get rid of Corbyn and let Johnson go ahead on his own. Or something. He was a rather confused and confusing individual.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
A minority of folk is academic and not all are, but that doesn't mean that they are thick. Most folk are graduates of the university of life, and have their feet on the ground. And to think last week someone actually challenged me when I said of all those on NSC who consider themselves to be superior, the most are lefties. IF that is what you believe then fine, just don't moan again when Labour lose another election.
Oh they'll lose again for sure. Unless they go back to Tory light and regain the selfish vote.

So be it. If folk are stupid enough to vote for a proven habitual liar then so be it.

This country is screwed. I'll be absolutely fine so don't you worry.

Would move to Scotland if it wasn't for the football (and the fact that you need to be Scottish to do business there).

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I spoke to a Northerner just before polling day and he was genuinely under the impression that Corbyn was our PM. I asked him how on Earth he could be under that impression. He confusedly explained that things were really bad in the U.K. and he had heard loads of bad stuff about Corbyn. So he thought he’d vote Johnson in for a change.

Edit: correction, he didn’t think Corbyn was PM he thought he had some kind of joint power and was making decisions for the U.K. I guess he sort of thought he was voting to get rid of Corbyn and let Johnson go ahead on his own. Or something. He was a rather confused individual.
Probably read it in the Express or heard it on the BBC

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

How do you decide who considers him/herself to be superior? In the bitter exchanges on NSC different factions did everything they could to seize the moral high ground and establish themselves as 'superior'. You seem to use that term in rather a narrow sense... and I trust you will refrain from suggesting I think myself superior for pointing it out.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

What does this sort of comment really mean? You chatted with someone who clearly knew little of politics, assuming this isn't a throw-away line like your comment about Diane Abbott. I chatted with someone from the South, who only had good things to say about Boris.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What does this sort of comment really mean? You chatted with someone who clearly knew little of politics, assuming this isn't a throw-away line like your comment about Diane Abbott. I chatted with someone from the South, who only had good things to say about Boris.

I’m not sure what you’re asking.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Can you explain how you flit out of an office in Birmingham to the houses of Parliament, maybe to vote, then flit back again!!! Possibly two or three times a day.

One of the Vox Pops around just before the election was from a man who wanted out of the EU for the simple reason that regularly the European Council move en masse from Brussels to Strasbourg for meetings, he thought that was reason enough to leave the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here