Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] What’s the best way to heal the North/South divide?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
How do you decide who considers him/herself to be superior? In the bitter exchanges on NSC different factions did everything they could to seize the moral high ground and establish themselves as 'superior'. You seem to use that term in rather a narrow sense... and I trust you will refrain from suggesting I think myself superior for pointing it out.

No, of course I don't think so -silly point, but it is arrogant of you to assume that you have pointed something out, when it is purely your opinion. For the record, it is really quite clear when someone says that thousands of others are thick, because they do not share a poster's opinion. Would you not agree?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You talk utter garbage. I believe you previously posted on the B thread that you never waznted to join the EU in the first place so is it no surprise that you blame the EU for all the ills. No doubt it was the EU that brought about the demise of the coal industry and nothing to do with the Tories. It was the EU that caused all the bombings from the IRA, it was the EU that caused Mad Cow disease, it was the EU that England went out of the 1982, 1986, 1990, 1998 etc etc world cups etc etc etc etc.

To be fair, the 1990 World Cup was due to Germany....,.which is the same thing as the EU these days.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
One of the Vox Pops around just before the election was from a man who wanted out of the EU for the simple reason that regularly the European Council move en masse from Brussels to Strasbourg for meetings, he thought that was reason enough to leave the EU.

With such an incredible waste of money involved, that is certainly a case for leaving. What would we say if the UK parliament moved around the 4 capitals every week or whatever.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
With such an incredible waste of money involved, that is certainly a case for leaving. What would we say if the UK parliament moved around the 4 capitals every week or whatever.
Any estimates on the money wasted on Brexit planning? Eye watering amounts poured down the drain.

Never mind, it keeps the idiots happy

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
[/B]

No, of course I don't think so -silly point, but it is arrogant of you to assume that you have pointed something out, when it is purely your opinion. For the record, it is really quite clear when someone says that thousands of others are thick, because they do not share a poster's opinion. Would you not agree?

I ask again, what criteria do you apply when passing judgement on others and deciding they think they are superior in some way? Calling someone else thick is just stupid and rude. Calling someone an undemocratic loon is too. I have been called several unsavoury names and I'll bet you have too. Of course I could trawl through the list but it would bore us both. Do you judge on the sheer number of repetitions from one quarter? I say your definition of 'superiority' is both subjective and narrow and it's time to stop raking over it anyway. That is my opinion. Would you not agree?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I spoke to a Northerner just before polling day and he was genuinely under the impression that Corbyn was our PM. I asked him how on Earth he could be under that impression. He confusedly explained that things were really bad in the U.K. and he had heard loads of bad stuff about Corbyn. So he thought he’d vote Johnson in for a change.
I’ve heard some thick reasons for voting Tory but that had to top the lot.

Edit: correction, he didn’t think Corbyn was PM he thought he had some kind of joint power and was making decisions for the U.K. I guess he sort of thought he was voting to get rid of Corbyn and let Johnson go ahead on his own. Or something. He was a rather confused and confusing individual.

Newsnight had a very similar example of this the day after the election. The piece by Katie Razzall starts at 6 minutes in and the direct quote in question is at 7 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000c64d

The chap in question says "we've been going downhill so long under Labour". It was frustrating to see that the assertion went unchallenged. 27 of the last 40 years have been under a Tory government or Tory led coalition, including the last nine. It astonishes me that people can firm up opinions that have absolutely no basis in fact.

However, the fact is that many do and calling them thick doesn't help. We all want to feel that we're being listened to and large parts of the country don't. Labour genuinely seemed to believe its northern seats were unassailable and did little to reach out to them. The Conservatives spoke to the disaffected in this election and reaped the rewards. Actually meeting the expectations of those that have crossed the floor for the first time will be much harder.

Poojah has offered up the best suggestion I've seen here thus far. Incentivising R&D investment in poorer areas is a great way to reinvigorate them but five years will not be enough. That sort of thing probably requires at least a decade to kick on. Transport infrastructure investment is another way to regenerate overlooked areas.

Eees complicated...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Lots of left behind Northern towns that have been screwed by Tory cuts have voted for the party that told them they will now reserve the cuts.

Really hope there is a happy ending. The huge Brexit boost as promised by Jacob Rees Mogg should be here in 40-50 years

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Geez! You really do have trouble with reading, don't you - or at least with comprehension. Try reading my post again, and do try to read every word. Particularly concentrate on the bit where I stated, "Give the respective ministers a small office in LONDON (maximum staff of 12 - including office cleaners, no contractors), Install lots of tele-conferencing facilities........
Gawd almighty - some people really are thick! :facepalm:

I suggested, as examples, three ministries moving the bulk of their admin. out of London to three different locations. Leave 'em in London and the Midlands and the north west and Liverpool and Manchester (and did you completely forget, or just discount, the north east?) will be pissed off. Bloody hell, you'd have thought the intelligentsia and chattering classes from uber-liberal London and the home counties would have begun to understand it - at least after the referendum result and the last election. But perhaps they're just not as bright as they think they are.......

First of all, you didn't specify just the admin. The minister is the head of the dept so would need to have access to that office and the various heads of the various depts within the ministry. Or do you think the heads of those depts should all be based in your little 12 seater office?

Sounds to me you are talking about a similar thing to HMRC where they have large offices around the country filled with call centre staff.

Also, why do you single out office cleaners?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Any estimates on the money wasted on Brexit planning? Eye watering amounts poured down the drain.

Never mind, it keeps the idiots happy

About £500m its cost us since 2016. But people do like being lied to, c'est la vie...

Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I see the usual mentalists are on here spouting their usual nonsense because yet another election didn't go the way they wanted :lolol:

As usual, they think that anyone who didn’t vote their way has an IQ of less than 3 and walked to the polling station on their knuckles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely you're not that naive? He's a calculating 'bumbling' construct underneath which lies a ruthless, elitist, odious narcissist. As much as I despise the Tories, it would be unfair to single out Johnson, as many who make it to the top share similar characteristics, although they're exceptionally transparent and unpalatable in his particular case.

While I agree with all that, I do like someone who can give the impression of spontaneous wit and charm. :shrug:

I can remember a time (the 70s and 80s) when every tory I spoke to carried significant prejudices that would surface with the right provocation. That ranged from a rolling of the eyes at the mention of 'black people', a snort of derision at the mention of 'working class opinion', and a bit of a rant at the mention of homosexuals (with a declaration of pity and disgust quickly moving on to the threat to 'our children'). I hated the tossers.

Yet....in some respects the tories are as idologically lost as labour are lost now. And here is the rub; I just can't imagine Boris claiming he stands for god, the queen and the english race. Those in his party who do think like that are dying off now, just as those in labour who dream of public ownership of the means of production, and each man and woman receiving according to their needs while providing according to their means, are also dying off.

Which party will show the ability to be fleeter of foot and nimbler of mind in the next few months, I wonder? Interesting times.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As usual, they think that anyone who didn’t vote their way has an IQ of less than 3 and walked to the polling station on their knuckles.

More worried about the IQ of the some of new intake of Tory MP's TBH...

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I see the usual mentalists are on here spouting their usual nonsense because yet another election didn't go the way they wanted [emoji38]ol:
I'm glad you're happy with the way it went. I'd be very surprised if it works out well for you though.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My suggestion for a way to help create a less divided nation would be to relocate Parliament to the Midlands/North. Ideal opportunity as the current Parliament is in need of major and very expensive works.

Bet it would be a lot cheaper to build a brand new state of the art Parliament away from London.

Can’t think of a better way to make a convincing statement of intent and absolutely guarantee that badly needed resources and infrastructure are redeployed away from the stranglehold of London and the South East.

Any other ideas out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edinburgh?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't know about the best way but the actual way to heal the North/ South divide wil be mutual recognition that Brexit was a con. The economy and public services will be wrecked by then, but at least we'll all be able to agree we were lied to, then start rebuilding.

That'll be in 10 years time, if we still have a planet.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
I like principled people so I like Corbyn. A vote for Corbyn wouldn't be stupid but many think I'm stupid for wanting him in. It is also probably true to say that he was wrong to try and apply principles to politics, it made him unelectable.

He would have cost me a lot when he implemented the tax hikes; corporation tax and tax on dividends etc. But it is the right thing to do.

It would have hurt, but not really hurt. Not hurt like it does for many with no hope. It is those that need help and they won't be getting. It.

It upsets me a lot. Really depressing. Thatcher started the greed, selfishness and hate and it is here to stay unfortunately. It felt like this was the last chance for change and now it's gone.

This country is ****ed.

Echo your thoughts and sympathise. A principled man who wanted something better for those less fortunate in our society, to tackle climate change and less foreign wars was smeared relentlessly from nearly all sides of the media. I agree it is depressing that people saw Boris and thought "I want more of that".

I too would have paid more tax but when we are in a society where there are 300,000 on the streets, the NHS is struggling, and schools can't afford pens, I don't mind paying more!

All I would say is that Corbyn started a movement that isn't going away and will hopefully only get stronger with more a more politicised youth. With Brexit not an electoral factor anymore there is an opportunity for someone to further progressive ideas.

Subscribe and support new progressive media e.g Double Down News, The Tribune and Jacobin (US).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here