Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the best thing the UK has ever given to the world?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Half French but a good point well made. I sometimes think that the ones who see the best of Britain/England are those who come from elsewhere such as Bill Bryson and the Archbishop of York.

....What about "Father Ted" or is that stretching the "UK" definition too far!

Afraid my friend he is completely French, the place being of his birth. His mother was indeed English, and father French, he though was French.

I become some demented monster when people express themselves as half Irish or French or Cream Cheese or whatever, you are from the place of your birth. You may have descendants/forefathers etc from other parts of the globe, they may affect your culture but you can not be half of anything only whole. It always reminds me of the Americans attempting to find a relative from Ireland or Britain so it makes them feel better.
Little rant over.:wave:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Afraid my friend he is completely French, the place being of his birth. His mother was indeed English, and father French, he though was French.

I become some demented monster when people express themselves as half Irish or French or Cream Cheese or whatever, you are from the place of your birth. You may have descendants/forefathers etc from other parts of the globe, they may affect your culture but you can not be half of anything only whole. It always reminds me of the Americans attempting to find a relative from Ireland or Britain so it makes them feel better.
Little rant over.:wave:

Nonsense. I used to know a guy who was born in Moscow because his parents were stationed there at the Embassy. Does that make him Russian? No, it makes him British, like his parents. WHERE you are born simply depends on where your mum happens to be when the 9 months is up, WHO you are depends on who you are born to.

But if your Dad was from Harrogate and your Mum was a Surrogate, you're really mixed up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
hahaha the uk's biggest legacy is australia. classic. and island full of insecure people with no real identity banging on about how great they are to their big brother on the other side of the world who forgot about them years ago.

its just overspill. Its just a giant crawley with hot weather.

Don Bradman and a couple of VC's do not get you on the top table with the proper countries mate.

You really are a prize dick.

Just you alone would be reason enough to suggest Australia has in such a short time surpassed England for intelligence alone.

No other nation on the planet has grown as much as we have from absolutely nothing in 200 years.

But don't let facts get in the way of your total ignorance :thumbsup:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You really are a prize dick.

Just you alone would be reason enough to suggest Australia has in such a short time surpassed England for intelligence alone.

No other nation on the planet has grown as much as we have from absolutely nothing in 200 years.

But don't let facts get in the way of your total ignorance :thumbsup:

What about the USA? They're only 200 and a bit years old.

For what it's worth, I do sort of agree with the Spanish. I've nothing against Australia, but from what I hear the country is still a bit obsessed with the UK when we're really not that bothered about you. Aside from cricket and rugby, obviously.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Anybody mentioned this ?

images

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What about the USA? They're only 200 and a bit years old.

For what it's worth, I do sort of agree with the Spanish. I've nothing against Australia, but from what I hear the country is still a bit obsessed with the UK when we're really not that bothered about you. Aside from cricket and rugby, obviously.

As a whole, the care factor about the UK is very minimal, especially if you take out anyone over 60.

In tv and media there's more attention to the USA and in financial terms China/Japan than anyone else.

Australia is embracing being part of the Asian market, Europe is a mere after thought.

But that's irrelevent as it was people from the UK who came to the continent and turned it into a highly successful nation whose people have made major contributions to the world.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
But that's irrelevent as it was people from the UK who came to the continent and turned it into a highly successful nation whose people have made major contributions to the world.

Prisoner Cell block H
Melbourne pea floater
Fostaaaaahhhhs

:lolol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd say the USA got further in it's first 200 years ( ok depending on when you think it started).

The Declaration of Independence was signed before Cook even set eyes upon what would be named Australia.

As soon as the Virginia colony was set up around 1600 that's the beggining of settlement.

So that's 180 years head start.

Added to that the conditions the UK settlers faced in America were far more favourable in terms of sustainability than those who landed on a dry, unhospitable rock called Oz.

It's truly remarkable what those people from the UK did achieve here in such a short time considering the conditions and distances they had to endure.

It must have seemed like another planet when they first set foot in the new world.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The Declaration of Independence was signed before Cook even set eyes upon what would be named Australia.

As soon as the Virginia colony was set up around 1600 that's the beggining of settlement.

So that's 180 years head start.

Added to that the conditions the UK settlers faced in America were far more favourable in terms of sustainability than those who landed on a dry, unhospitable rock called Oz.

It's truly remarkable what those people from the UK did achieve here in such a short time considering the conditions and distances they had to endure.

It must have seemed like another planet when they first set foot in the new world.
Your not factoring in the technology and resource difference. Also, politically Australia is behind the States. You still have our Queen as your head of state ffs

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Your not factoring in the technology and resource difference. Also, politically Australia is behind the States. You still have our Queen as your head of state ffs

And you're not factoring in how much closer America is to Europe.

Surely you jest about the political landscape?

Considering we use virtually the same political system as the UK i'd say were far more politically stable than the USA is.

Remember the vote rigigng in Florida that saw G W Bush get back into power?

Never happen here.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Then what the f*** are you doing on a football forum in the UK, 12,000 miles away from where you live ?

Good point

And I suppose there'll be little coverage of the Ashes in Australia as there's little interest in what happens in the UIK

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd say the USA got further in it's first 200 years ( ok depending on when you think it started).

Australia has a vastly superior standard of education than the USA for a start (not hard). They also are far better than us on that score. They are also rather good at most sports and when you consider how many of them there are that too is quite remarkable.

Oh, they're also mainly far more civilised than Americans and don't have the poverty that is so often found in the US (and to a degree, here).

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Good point

And I suppose there'll be little coverage of the Ashes in Australia as there's little interest in what happens in the UIK

I bet more English people could identify a picture of Shane Warne than Australians could identify a pic of Gordon Brown.

But that's irrelevent.

The original premice was a compliment to the many people from the UK who came here and made it a great country, a mighty achievement.

I really can't do much if a few dolts on here can't comprehend that and wish to turn it into some retarded us vs them fest.

I do find the whole oz vs england tiffs stupid considering how many of each nations young men died alongside each other in battle.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I bet more English people could identify a picture of Shane Warne than Australians could identify a pic of Gordon Brown.

But that's irrelevent.

The original premice was a compliment to the many people from the UK who came here and made it a great country, a mighty achievement.

I really can't do much if a few dolts on here can't comprehend that and wish to turn it into some retarded us vs them fest.

I do find the whole oz vs england tiffs stupid considering how many of each nations young men died alongside each other in battle.

Agreed, that sort of xenophobia has done Britain no favours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here