Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's so attractive about Burnley?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
You for one must have at least visited the area Simster

Lived and travelled up from Leek to work there in the early 90's Burnley as a whole is rundown to say the least,yes they have a high proportion that follow The Clarets however travell a few miles out of Burnley and you in in some stunning countryside Pendle hill,Forest of Bowland well you know that yourself.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Easy to be the most handsome, articulate, stylish and intelligent bloke in the local area overnight.

Posted it before but Burley was the scene of a very bizarre away trip for me. I stayed in this big pub in the town centre which, oddly, has a lot of ties with us...the team have stayed there on many occasions and there's a fair few bits of Albion memorabilia in the billiards room.

Anyhow, I went for a little wander and ended up in this club where I was like a fecking munter magnet...I was literally fighting off these swamp donkey birds all night...and why my friends? Because all of them had clocked the southern accent and were DESPERATE to get out of the yard and run away with me to GOSBTS.

After a few beers I relented and had my first foursome with some of the less hefty lasses.

And we won.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Posted it before but Burley was the scene of a very bizarre away trip for me. I stayed in this big pub in the town centre which, oddly, has a lot of ties with us...the team have stayed there on many occasions and there's a fair few bits of Albion memorabilia in the billiards room.

Anyhow, I went for a little wander and ended up in this club where I was like a fecking munter magnet...I was literally fighting off these swamp donkey birds all night...and why my friends? Because all of them had clocked the southern accent and were DESPERATE to get out of the yard and run away with me to GOSBTS.

After a few beers I relented and had my first foursome with some of the less hefty lasses.

And we won.

Going back to the eighties, I am not entirely surprised.....some might say Wigan was similar.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Schoolboy-level answer really: "you mocked me, boo-hoo> you love Ashley, you love Ashley!, ner ner ner ner ner!". Bravo.

It's not to do with Barnes. I was simply suggesting that the tedious branding of Burnley as some sort of grim, hopeless northern shithole in comparison to glorious, beautiful, vibrant flawless Brighton by some posters was lazy and unfair.

Have you ever been to Burnley? I would suggest not. It is grim!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Playing for Burnley, you could live in the cities of Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester, which have far more to offer than Brighton or in the countryside in the lakes, Yorkshire dales or Peaks, all of which make Sussex rather dull.... Just saying....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Playing for Burnley, you could live in the cities of Leeds, Liverpool or Manchester, which have far more to offer than Brighton or in the countryside in the lakes, Yorkshire dales or Peaks, all of which make Sussex rather dull.... Just saying....

Agree with the cities comments however Sussex is outstanding in it's beautiful countryside. The white cliffs are far better than the Lancs countryside. The weather is considerably better too. You are also quoting a region or indeed two or three for comparison with our county.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I totally disagree that Sussex is 'out stand' , it's similar to much if SE England, and I'm not comparing the area with those up north, simply pointing out that there is fantastic countryside within easy distance of Burnley.

Jan 10, 2014
Hello Brighton, another coal eating pigeon fancier here. I am posting this from my outside lavatory but please don't be alarmed as I will wash my hands before I press the reply button.

I've mainly registered just to rubbish the laughable suggestions (from a few) that we Burnley FC pay big wages and that's why Ashley has joined us. I presume that there is someone on here who could tell me what Brighton's staff costs were for the last financial year? Ours were £15,369,000 and I'd be interested to see if Brighton are even within 5 million pounds of that.

The package of the deal for Ashley may on the whole be more in pounds sterling but we will not be paying him a great deal more (if any) than what he was getting at Brighton.

Any road, I'm not here to rub anyone's face in it nor am I trying to wind anyone up, but as I was registering to join this site I was presented with the following on the registration form......... 'Please complete the name of the player who wears the number 9 shirt for the Albion. Ashley ****** (This is only here to stop spammers registering)'

Now you've got to admit that was funny. What a crazy world we live in.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I totally disagree that Sussex is 'out stand' , it's similar to much if SE England, and I'm not comparing the area with those up north, simply pointing out that there is fantastic countryside within easy distance of Burnley.

This is getting stupid. There are beautiful parts of Sussex, Hampshire, surrey, kent, Yorkshire, Lancashire etc etc. no point in comparing. There's also less desirable parts of Blackburn, Burnley, Brighton, Portsmouth, gillingham etc etc.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hello Brighton, another coal eating pigeon fancier here. I am posting this from my outside lavatory but please don't be alarmed as I will wash my hands before I press the reply button.

I've mainly registered just to rubbish the laughable suggestions (from a few) that we Burnley FC pay big wages and that's why Ashley has joined us. I presume that there is someone on here who could tell me what Brighton's staff costs were for the last financial year? Ours were £15,369,000 and I'd be interested to see if Brighton are even within 5 million pounds of that.

The package of the deal for Ashley may on the whole be more in pounds sterling but we will not be paying him a great deal more (if any) than what he was getting at Brighton.

Any road, I'm not here to rub anyone's face in it nor am I trying to wind anyone up, but as I was registering to join this site I was presented with the following on the registration form......... 'Please complete the name of the player who wears the number 9 shirt for the Albion. Ashley ****** (This is only here to stop spammers registering)'

Cracking :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I appreciate that neither of us are QPR (or Portsmouth) but we offered him what I believe was a significant increase on his current contract and he turned that down for your offer, so I think there has to be a fairly decent rise in it.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
We have an office in Burnley and I travel up there every month. Yes it's run down in a lot of areas but it's really not that bad and they bloody LOVE there football. I actually credit them - in the office I know of one United fan and the rest are Burnley. I'm sure we've all worked in Brighton, London and other cities and towns and it's usually 60/70% fake prem fans and a sprinkling of other clubs.

he'll probably live in Manchester or one of the larger places nearby and he'll probably enjoy his time there!

Jan 10, 2014
What some folk have to realise WATFORD zero is that our manager has been chasing him for 6 months plus which may have counted for something.

As none of us are ever likely to actually know the amount of brass on offer in either offers, I think I can safely say that on the whole Burnley FC don't pay their players any more than what Brighton and Hove Albion do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Our wages were £14 million for the entire club not just players.

Jan 10, 2014
We have an office in Burnley and I travel up there every month. Yes it's run down in a lot of areas but it's really not that bad and they bloody LOVE there football. I actually credit them - in the office I know of one United fan and the rest are Burnley. I'm sure we've all worked in Brighton, London and other cities and towns and it's usually 60/70% fake prem fans and a sprinkling of other clubs.

he'll probably live in Manchester or one of the larger places nearby and he'll probably enjoy his time there!

He'll probably live in one of the lovely little villages close by or t'other side of Pendle Hill or the Ribble Valley.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ashley didn't live in Brighton so presumably isn't that keen on cities. The Ribble valley and Forest of Bowland are beautiful.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ashley didn't live in Brighton so presumably isn't that keen on cities. The Ribble valley and Forest of Bowland are beautiful.

Yep the Ribble Valley is nice when its not raining, Burnley, Blackpool, Preston,Blackburn....beautiful quaint northern towns. Ashley what have you done son?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
A three and a half year contract probably.

Apologies if already mentioned, but its got to be a big factor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here