Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's so attractive about Burnley?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I must say I don't get this "northern dump" stuff that so often gets posted on here. Sure, Burnley itself is not a particularly attractive town, but it's fairly small, and as others have said, players only have to go there for the stadium and training ground. Let's be honest, if you go and play for Leeds or Bradford, you would probably choose to live in Ilkley or Harrogate, unless you're a youngster who enjoys nightlife, in which case you'd probably buy a city centre apartment in Leeds, or if playing for Burnley, Manchester. The Antikythera Mechanism has already posted about a farmhouse for sale. There are fine houses and beautiful countryside up north - take for example the Forest of Bowland, which Thunder Bolt mentions, which isn't far from Burnley. And if I can use a political parallel, Ribble Valley, which contains the Forest of Bowland, has a Tory majority of 15,000, while Richmond, William Hague's seat, within easy commuting distance of Leeds, has a majority of 23,000. Tories do not tend to win in rough areas, and that particularly applies in the north. I love our county, but it is easy to comment through Sussex-blinkered spectacles. Sussex does have its downsides - awful traffic for a start. A footballer, who isn't from this area, isn't going to have any such loyalties.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I must say I don't get this "northern dump" stuff that so often gets posted on here. Sure, Burnley itself is not a particularly attractive town, but it's fairly small, and as others have said, players only have to go there for the stadium and training ground. Let's be honest, if you go and play for Leeds or Bradford, you would probably choose to live in Ilkley or Harrogate, unless you're a youngster who enjoys nightlife, in which case you'd probably buy a city centre apartment in Leeds, or if playing for Burnley, Manchester. The Antikythera Mechanism has already posted about a farmhouse for sale. There are fine houses and beautiful countryside up north - take for example the Forest of Bowland, which Thunder Bolt mentions, which isn't far from Burnley. And if I can use a political parallel, Ribble Valley, which contains the Forest of Bowland, has a Tory majority of 15,000, while Richmond, William Hague's seat, within easy commuting distance of Leeds, has a majority of 23,000. Tories do not tend to win in rough areas, and that particularly applies in the north. I love our county, but it is easy to comment through Sussex-blinkered spectacles. Sussex does have its downsides - awful traffic for a start. A footballer, who isn't from this area, isn't going to have any such loyalties.

Agree with most of this. But I suspect the main factor is that Dyche ( who IS a good manager ) really wanted him. Secondly a decent contract on a bigger wage with, possibly, a signing-on fee. Perhaps he also remembers some of the cretinous, unfair abuse in the past.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Agree with most of this. But I suspect the main factor is that Dyche ( who IS a good manager ) really wanted him. Secondly a decent contract on a bigger wage with, possibly, a signing-on fee. Perhaps he also remembers some of the cretinous, unfair abuse in the past.

Indeed, all that as well.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Top manager? STRONGLY disagree. Your teams' tactics were piss poor when you visited this season. He's average!! He might get you up though, good luck to him.

Barnes is only going for the money, and for a fresh start. And Burnley are in a great position for promotion.

No, I think he is, or has the makings of, a top manager. If you judge a manager on one performance, then anything's possible. Judging Oscar on our game at home to Barnsley, he's the worst manager in our history.

But if we're doing that, I saw Burnley last weekend at Southampton and they could easily have won against a strong Saints team, and Dyche came across as a interesting and intelligent guy afterwards. In fact, many of us in the press room are hoping he might replace Allardyce. Burnley were going nowhere under Eddie Howe, so the fact that they're somehow in the hunt for promotion - which absolutely nobody predicted at the start of the season - means Dyche's influence must count for something. And Sam Vokes appears to be twice the player he was when on loan to us.

As for Burnley the town, maybe they get big gates because there's never been much else to do there. I stayed overnight once after covering an evening game at Turf Moor and had a stroll around the next morning, and my main thought was: 'Why does anyone still live here?' But I suppose at least it wasn't Swindon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As for Burnley the town, maybe they get big gates because there's never been much else to do there. I stayed overnight once after covering an evening game at Turf Moor and had a stroll around the next morning, and my main thought was: 'Why does anyone still live here?' But I suppose at least it wasn't Swindon.

That should go on their road signs. "Burnley welcomes careful drivers. At least it's not Swindon"

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We were new to the Championship. We were away at Burnley. We won 3-1. Most of the Southern folk were all but chased from the town by gay-fearing troglodytes. My opinion of the place isn't great.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We were new to the Championship. We were away at Burnley. We won 3-1. Most of the Southern folk were all but chased from the town by gay-fearing troglodytes. My opinion of the place isn't great.

My favourite thing is the close proximity of the home fans to the radio commentary box. When it's not going well for them, like when Poyet's team won there, all you can hear is angry northern voices shouting "Yer cheatin' fookin' *******S, yer fookin' CHEAT, referee!".

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Good money, playing for a good manager who really wanted him, playing for a team currently lying 2nd in the Championship and eager to get in the Premier League at the end of the season, getting to play up front alongside 1 of the best forwards in the division whose style of play could complement Barnes' approach very effectively.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Dont be stupid. I say again at the time of FFS joining you had successfully staved off relegation for something like the second or third year in a row. You then "consolidated" with Murrays 8 goals where we finished 10th and you guys 17th?

Then you had that golden run under Dougie (lets face it that run got you into the play offs) your form under Ollie was sh1te and you limped into the play offs on the last day beating Peterboro something like your third win since January. Then of course its only 3 games from there.

To suggest there was "more chance" is clutching at straws.

It was all about money when FFS moved.

This is all completely true.

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004

Are you 'Tory boy' from Harry Enfield sketches?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That was not a very pleasant feeling so soon after our victory.

Stumpy Tim

I have an old uni friend from Burnley. I remember visiting her once, and my car at the time (BMW Z3) cost more than her flat in the centre of Burnley. It really was a desperate town back then - 1998. Having said that, there are lots of nice places near Burnley and I absolutely can see the attraction especially if you like the countryside.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, I think he is, or has the makings of, a top manager. If you judge a manager on one performance, then anything's possible. Judging Oscar on our game at home to Barnsley, he's the worst manager in our history.

But if we're doing that, I saw Burnley last weekend at Southampton and they could easily have won against a strong Saints team, and Dyche came across as a interesting and intelligent guy afterwards. In fact, many of us in the press room are hoping he might replace Allardyce. Burnley were going nowhere under Eddie Howe, so the fact that they're somehow in the hunt for promotion - which absolutely nobody predicted at the start of the season - means Dyche's influence must count for something. And Sam Vokes appears to be twice the player he was when on loan to us.

Have to agree. On all the evidence so far Dyche is looking a VERY good manager. Did a great job at Watford too, before being sacked for not being Italian.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here