Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's so attractive about Burnley?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Does it make us look just a little bit wanky to start disparaging Burnley over this?

I'm sure it has it's social issues like any town, no doubt there are a few rows of boarded up terraced houses on sale for £50k per street (thought I'd get that in before someone else does.

But it's a proper old football town with a glorious history in the game. It punches above its weight, population wise. I've never been to the town, but I do know there is some quite stunning countryside all around that area, which, if I was a quiet, non-nightclubbing, family type like Ashley Barnes, I could quite easily imagine would be a great place to live & bring up kids. House prices are probably far lower than around here, and that combined with the increased salary he'll get will be a plus for him too.

I didn't want to see him go, but I'm not going to get all snobbish about his choice of destination simply because some people can't see why a decent football club like Burnley might have it's attractions.

This from the poster who is so quick to disrespect AFC Bournemouth, dismissing them as 'a noddy club.' Can you really have it both ways Edna, or are AFC easier to dismiss because they have a smaller fanbase, and don't boast Burnley's illustrious, if mostly historic, successes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What was Barnes on at Brighton? I could try and find out what our wage cap is but I think our current ceiling is 10k (and I am confident only a couple of players are on this).

As for the "where has the money gone" questions. Well - it seems that Coyle nearly bankrupted us the season we got into the Prem. It's only really coming out now just how in the mire we were. The Prem money has helped ease a lot of debt but we've been looking to work within our means, which isn't much when you look at our attendances. We are hopeful that we'll break even this season.

We do have a small squad, until Barnes signed we only had three strikers at the club (the third being Ryan Noble who doesn't look like he will last) so he'll definitely feature and I think one of the reasons we signed him was because he'll be able to fit into either the Ings role or the Vokes one.

He's a good, and whole-hearted player, who will do well for you. One thing he can definitely NOT do though, is play Ings' role. He's not very QUICK.

I'd be very surprised if your wage ceiling is £10k a week, to be honest.

No idea what Barnes was on here but I'm fairly sure you're probably going to end up paying him more than that.

Agreed. (Unsurprisingly as you were party to the same conversation as I was, with a mutual aquaintance with a proffessional interest in the finances of Northern football clubs...)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This from the poster who is so quick to disrespect AFC Bournemouth, dismissing them as 'a noddy club.' Can you really have it both ways Edna, or are AFC easier to dismiss because they have a smaller fanbase, and don't boast Burnley's illustrious, if mostly historic, successes.

You miss the point. My post was in response to the cheap and lazy stereotype that perpetuates on here in relation to certain northern areas. At no point have I ever said "why would any player want to join Bournemouth?" in the same way some are displaying incredulity that Barnes might actually quite fancy Burnley.

If I think Bournemouth are a noddy club (which obviously I do) it's nothing to do with the state of the town, it's just a personal footballing dislike. We all have them. Some posters on here, on the other hand, are giving it the old "why would ANYONE want to go there" thing about Burnley, which in turn will perpetuate the myth amongst any Burnley fans reading this that we're all typical, arrogant, stuck-up southern tossers.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You miss the point. My post was in response to the cheap and lazy stereotype that perpetuates on here in relation to certain northern areas. At no point have I ever said "why would any player want to join Bournemouth?" in the same way some are displaying incredulity that Barnes might actually quite fancy Burnley.

If I think Bournemouth are a noddy club (which obviously I do) it's nothing to do with the state of the town, it's just a personal footballing dislike. We all have them. Some posters on here, on the other hand, are giving it the old "why would ANYONE want to go there" thing about Burnley, which in turn will perpetuate the myth amongst any Burnley fans reading this that we're all typical, arrogant, stuck-up southern tossers.

Whereas Bournemouth fans (especially those who supported us at Fans United etc.) will just think we're wonderful. Hmmm....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We had a 15k salary cap when we were in the Premier League [
I'm pretty sure when we negotiated contracts with a few players in the summer we brought that down to 10k. Will need to check though.

Been speaking to a mate this morning ( who is an agent )...this is what he came up with.
1) A lot of fans overrestimate what players are earning in the Championship.
2) He suggested that Sunderland have probably offered Liam Bridcutt up to double his existing salary. He suggested that LB may be on £10-£12k per week ( max £15k ) and Sunderland have offered £25k ish.
3) He said he would be surprised if Burnley were able to pay Ashley Barnes much more ( if any ) than he is on at Brighton.
4) He said the added inducement may be that Dyche has suggested at more regular football. He knows of more than one club who are very keen on Ings and although Burnley are desperate not to sell, their hand may be forced.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Been speaking to a mate this morning ( who is an agent )...this is what he came up with.
1) A lot of fans overrestimate what players are earning in the Championship.
2) He suggested that Sunderland have probably offered Liam Bridcutt up to double his existing salary. He suggested that LB may be on £10-£12k per week ( max £15k ) and Sunderland have offered £25k ish.
3) He said he would be surprised if Burnley were able to pay Ashley Barnes much more ( if any ) than he is on at Brighton.
4) He said the added inducement may be that Dyche has suggested at more regular football. He knows of more than one club who are very keen on Ings and although Burnley are desperate not to sell, their hand may be forced.

With respect, the things I have been told, suggest that your agent mate is wrong on almost every count.

2. Its more than double.
3. Burnley's offer is massively more than Barnes was on at Brighton (not necessarily massively more than his latest offer).
4. Barnes has featured in 24 of our 26 matches this season. How do you play more regularly than just about every game?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Very quick to tear me off the other day Edna with regard to my feelings about Ashley's footballing ablility, now you have a pop at those who jokingly mock the northern outpost he is now employed in. You seem very, very keen to be on Ashley's team?:love::flounce:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Very quick to tear me off the other day Edna with regard to my feelings about Ashley's footballing ablility, now you have a pop at those who jokingly mock the northern outpost he is now employed in. You seem very, very keen to be on Ashley's team?:love::flounce:

Schoolboy-level answer really: "you mocked me, boo-hoo> you love Ashley, you love Ashley!, ner ner ner ner ner!". Bravo.

It's not to do with Barnes. I was simply suggesting that the tedious branding of Burnley as some sort of grim, hopeless northern shithole in comparison to glorious, beautiful, vibrant flawless Brighton by some posters was lazy and unfair.

WeScored3...

Banned
Nov 19, 2012
Wooden seats were enough to take Murray to crumbling 18th Century Shithurst Park. Turf Moor offers the same. Maybe our strikers are just attracted to wood and Bloom fugged up by putting luxury padded seats in at the Amex instead of going for Scots pine.

You can talk of wooden seats all day long...but Murray joined Palace because he wanted Prem football (and got it). Barnes has more chance of Prem football being at Burnley than Beaten & Humiliated Albion, therefore it's a no brainer. But then what do you Sea Girls know about the Premiership, having never played there in your entire history.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Schoolboy-level answer really: "you mocked me, boo-hoo> you love Ashley, you love Ashley!, ner ner ner ner ner!". Bravo.

It's not to do with Barnes. I was simply suggesting that the tedious branding of Burnley as some sort of grim, hopeless northern shithole in comparison to glorious, beautiful, vibrant flawless Brighton by some posters was lazy and unfair.

Jeez, I was only teasing you honey, must have hit a nerve.........

:wink::kiss::p

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Burnley might not be fashionable but it certainly isn't as gloomy as some suggest. Ok there is a faded industrial past but it has a fine football pedigree as do many clubs in that area. Burnley is a proper football club and Turf Moor has its attractions, with that great cricket ground next door and some decent countryside around. Plus they have a decent chance of getting back into the Prem.

I think Ashley will be appreciated by their fans because he is a very straightforward 'what you see is what you get' player, with loads of commitment and he will get stuck in. I hope he prospers there, but I do wonder if he will get enough opportunities - unless Ings moves on. Maybe Dyche will play Barnes in a deeper role behind Ings and Vokes, such as wide left like Gus did for a while.

L1882

Jan 9, 2014
Well we have the future king of England as a fan (he also does huge amounts of work in the town he describes as 'a remarkable town' :) )

But, and this is something I'm not sure any UK town can compete with, most of all we have this:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
So he will be first choice in front of Vokes and Ings ??? I think not somehow, it's all about money I'm afraid and Burnley are gambling big time to reach the promised land this season

Burnley are in the last year of parachute payments. Last year they made a loss of £8m, the sale of Charlie Austin cancelled that out. All things being equal they will make a similar loss this year or more, if they miss out on promotion this year then next season without the parachute payments they'll be screwed.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Resident Burnley fan here at work seems to think that BArnes and Vokes will be the strike pairing. Ings will be off this window if not in the summer. Liverpool are reportedly sniffing round.

Barnes also fits the Dyche mould. Hardworking, grafter, puts himself about etc.

There are some lovely places in the NW of England, Im sure BArnes will not live in Burnley centre, but even if he does its not that bad. Dont forget the village of Mellor is close by and we all know who lived/lives there...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You can talk of wooden seats all day long...but Murray joined Palace because he wanted Prem football (and got it). Barnes has more chance of Prem football being at Burnley than Beaten & Humiliated Albion, therefore it's a no brainer. But then what do you Sea Girls know about the Premiership, having never played there in your entire history.

Ok I will bite. Thats crap about joining for Prem football. At the time you just avoided relegation and in his first season Muzza scored 8 goals or whatever. You were very close to offloading him in a swap for Will Hoskins but he (Hoskins) got injured. Then Dougie played to FFS strengths and got you goals.

Plus at the time it was all about money (I dont blame FFS) but lets put to bed this "more chance of prem footy"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here