Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats a good BOOK to read at the moment?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I need to get myself a good book before next week. Anyone read any good ones recently?

Im not a big reader of books and Im looking more at Autobiographies rather than fiction.

I thaught about Bobby Robsons book as there was a bit about it in the sun just after he died and I quite liked it!

OR

If anyone has a copy of Build a bonfire that they dont mind lending me fo a week the that could be better!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have a week away soon and am going to read that Charlie Boorman book "By Any Means" and looking forward to it as a great TV program.

It would appear a "By Any Means 2" is being fimed as I type as well.......................

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Spycatcher" by Peter Wright, former M15 officer.

Bought it in Oxfam the other week for £1, and a fantastic read if you want to know what the UK, US &USSR secret services' really got up to in the Cold War.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
mein kampf

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Reading Stephen King's 'It'.. I'm 800 pages in, and it turns out there's a lot of underage sex and homophobic undertones in the book. Never saw that in the film!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
2/3rds way through the Alexander The Great Trilogy by Manfredi.

I really enjoy his books, so much so that it has enthused me to continue my OU degree courses last studied in 1998......looking to do a course in Ancient European Civilisations, Greece and Rome.

Have a go at Manfredi's books. They are quite violent as he describes battle scenes in graphic details.

Amazon.co.uk:

What about the new Roy Grace detective novel "Dead Tommorrow" by Peter James set in and around the fair city of Brighton (as are the other four books in the series). Or "The Damned United", excellent book, yet to see the DVD.

Non fiction. For the squillionth time on threads of this nature may I commend the biography "My father and other working-class football heroes" by Gary Imlach. Damn fine book.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Edited as I missed the "Autobiographies rather than fiction" bit in the first post :down:

Last edited:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson are cracking books. See how you like The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and go from there.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab

Gets better with every read.

Or Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge

"Lovely Stuff" not Partridge's words but the words of Shakin Stevens

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
If You like athletics, Race against Me by Duane Chambers is a good read.Stan Bowles
autobiography depending on your age is an entertaining book. Cloughie's autobiography
was good.

To be honest I Really enjoyed Gullhanger as well

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
If You like athletics, Race against Me by Duane Chambers is a good read.Stan Bowles
autobiography depending on your age is an entertaining book. Cloughie's autobiography
was good.

To be honest I Really enjoyed Gullhanger as well

Thats the other one I was thinking about but couldnt remember it when I posted this thread!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Best non fiction I have read recently are:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Dear Fatty by Dawn French
Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson (rather old, but only just got around to reading it)

Hope this helps

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm currently reading:
Wicked: The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West

On holiday I shall be reading:
Filth (by the same author of Trainspotting fame)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here