Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats a good BOOK to read at the moment?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Book an extra week off and read Shantaram - as recommended by the good and the great of NSC - 900 pages long and everysingle page a treat an absolutely mesmerising read

Captain Pugwash

Paul Kitson
Oct 27, 2003
brighton
I can lend you Jeremy Kyle's book if you want! Im reading Paul o'grady at the moment before moving onto Bobby Robson's.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Anything by Pat Barker but particularly the Regeneration trilogy. You also can't go wrong with Sebastian Faulks or Robert Edric. Am reading In Zodiac Light at the moment which is a novel about Ivor Gurney's time in an asylum after the end of WW1 so sort of satisfies the biography bit as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It won't surprise a few, to know I'm currently reading Bradley Wiggins autobiography.
And very good it is too.
He doesn't seem to be pulling any personal punches.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
What about the new Roy Grace detective novel "Dead Tommorrow" by Peter James set in and around the fair city of Brighton (as are the other four books in the series). Or "The Damned United", excellent book, yet to see the DVD.

Non fiction. For the squillionth time on threads of this nature may I commend the biography "My father and other working-class football heroes" by Gary Imlach. Damn fine book.

A superb book, iv'e only got 50 pages to go till the end.
Every one of his books have been great, I think relating to the roads, locations etc makes them better, you feel part of the story.

Sorry to hear that wife No4 from Thailand is skimming you, Norman:wink:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
ANYTHING by John Grisham. :thumbsup:

He released the Associate recently, that's a darn good read. I'm currently ploughing through the Firm, which is classic Grisham.

Anything by Michael Crichton is worth a shout aswell.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
ANYTHING by John Grisham. :thumbsup:

He released the Associate recently, that's a darn good read. I'm currently ploughing through the Firm, which is classic Grisham.

Anything by Michael Crichton is worth a shout aswell.

Not that I'm a Stephen King fan but in his book 'On Writing' Grisham and Crichton are the two authors he derides for peddling mainstream filth.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
"The Sea Wolf" - Jack London

I defy you to find a better novel of fiction that describes better the utter absurdity of the condition of the modern human animal

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
"Spycatcher" by Peter Wright, former M15 officer.

Bought it in Oxfam the other week for £1, and a fantastic read if you want to know what the UK, US &USSR secret services' really got up to in the Cold War.

I would certainly agree with that one, and the recent Defence of the Realm, a history of MI5. massive tome of a thousand pages but though only read a few chapters its superb

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Anything by Pat Barker but particularly the Regeneration trilogy. You also can't go wrong with Sebastian Faulks or Robert Edric. Am reading In Zodiac Light at the moment which is a novel about Ivor Gurney's time in an asylum after the end of WW1 so sort of satisfies the biography bit as well.

also the Great war trilogy by John Masters. Now god be thanked, heart of war and By the green of the spring.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer about the 1996 Mt. Everest disaster - has anyone ever read that book and not immediately wanted to jump on a plane to Nepal? The only book I have read more than twice.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
"Dispatches" by Michael Herr

Not just a tale of young American men at war, but a pastiche on the complete and utter absurdity of human existence itself. If you read one non-fiction book in your entire life, make it it "Dispatches"

Herr went on to help write the screenplays for both "Apocalypse Now" and "Full Metal Jacket"

Door Gunner: Git some! Git some! Git some, yeah, yeah, yeah! Anyone who runs, is a VC. Anyone who stands still, is a well-disciplined VC! You guys oughta do a story about me sometime!
Private Joker: Why should we do a story about you?
Door Gunner: 'Cuz I'm so fuckin' good! I done got me 157 dead gooks killed. Plus 50 water buffalo too! Them's all confirmed!
Private Joker: Any women or children?
Door Gunner: Sometimes!
Private Joker: How can you shoot women or children?
Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Ain't war hell?

The banality of human existence and death, and the wheel keeps turning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here