Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was your experience of South bermondsey train station like after the game

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
We got on the 17.06 back to London Bridge and the train was mainly Millwall. A few shouts of come on then you poofters, do you want some, to which most us laughed and they didnt know what to do!

Some of our lot got kept back and one got hit on the head with a stone and another had a can of beer thrown at them. A few Millwall tried to come thorugh to the caged off section but the police soon moved them on!

As the Millwall lad standing next to me on the train (he was probably about 15 ) said to his mate, "if my Dad was here he would be so embarressed by the turn out of Millwall lads today". Just about sums up IMHO the non threatening atmosphere at the Den these days. Yes still one or two idiots about like all clubs but no worse than any other away game.

Also the pub we went in pre game is very much a Millwall pub, but it was fine, no problems.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We got on the 17.06 back to London Bridge and the train was mainly Millwall. A few shouts of come on then you poofters, do you want some, to which most us laughed and they didnt know what to do!

Some of our lot got kept back and one got hit on the head with a stone and another had a can of beer thrown at them. A few Millwall tried to come thorugh to the caged off section but the police soon moved them on!

As the Millwall lad standing next to me on the train (he was probably about 15 ) said to his mate, "if my Dad was here he would be so embarressed by the turn out of Millwall lads today". Just about sums up IMHO the non threatening atmosphere at the Den these days. Yes still one or two idiots about like all clubs but no worse than any other away game.

Also the pub we went in pre game is very much a Millwall pub, but it was fine, no problems.

imagine they have literally hundreds banned. Still pull prob the biggest firm in England on their day

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
imagine they have literally hundreds banned. Still pull prob the biggest firm in England on their day

Allegiance to Millwall gathered apace after a notorious documentary by Panorama in the mid-70s. Sufficient to say that they did have a history of 'local' hoodlums who followed the club and were not afraid of intimidating and terrorising fans of other teams. The Panorama peice swelled the ranks of hoolies to Millwall from all over South London and thus the notoriety was not a local Lewisham etc thing but one where it was gallant and macho to be associated with the club.

Millwall when called to order by equally hostile fans probably did not have as many numbers and the brave (or dumb ones) probably did get battered with the 'glory hunter' types not showing for major showdowns or running away when push came to stanley knife.. Both West Ham and Spurs outnumbered Milwall in those times and to quote a 'hoolie' phrase 'took liberties'. Strangley Chelsea did not seem to take sufficient numbers to the Den.

Today it is still a nasty, nasty place but pulling a big firm would in my mind be more like loads of neanderthals without any direct allegiance to the club looking for a scrap.

Just a view. I dare say if there was more riding on the match (such as the play-off) the intimadatory factor would increase ten fold)

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
It's a good real ale pub and the Millwall element there are as good as they get. They seem to enjoy taking the mick out of yuppies and tourists from Borough Market who arrive expecting food and that's as nasty as they get. I must admit I was a bit anxious when I realised a lot of Albion fans would be there. My brother is a semi-regular in the pub. Nearby are some other Millwall pubs that need to be avoided.
:afro:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Why did the Police only close the sliding gates after the Millwall fans had gone past and not when the fans were two feet from each other?

Was a lot of stuff and nonsense but I still wouldn't fancy taking a kid up there.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's a good real ale pub and the Millwall element there are as good as they get. They seem to enjoy taking the mick out of yuppies and tourists from Borough Market who arrive expecting food and that's as nasty as they get. I must admit I was a bit anxious when I realised a lot of Albion fans would be there. My brother is a semi-regular in the pub. Nearby are some other Millwall pubs that need to be avoided.
:afro:

...and very much a Brighton pub just down the road...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We were on the same train as Mr Blobby but quite near the back. It was quite an even mix and there were no comments either way that I heard. As we'd been walking up the steps to the platform, one Millwall supporter started a chant, but nobody joined in with him!
Certainly not as scary as other times I've been there and the first time I've stood on South Bermondsey station in colours. Didn't see any neanderthals there at all, to be honest.
Shame it seems like there were a few issues behind us, but the only worry I had was that there didn't seem to be any police on the trains themselves, so had any problems occured, it could have been messy.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
There was a slight problem on the way up, was anyone else on the 11.06 (think it was that) from brighton to london bridge, everyone was kept on train for 5-10 minutes as there was an incident and police went round asking where it was. Anyone on the train and see what it was? just out of interest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here