Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was the BEST gig you have been too

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Well we have had the First and the last, and with little football chat going on, how about the best gig / festival / concert you have been too?

I cant decide so have listed a few

The Pogues at Brixton Acadamy Christmas 2005 I think, just awesome.

Metallica at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993....memorable for the largest game of football I have ever witnessed, we turned up half cut at about 1pm, and saw this game of football going on, must have been 40 a side, a large guy with tats everywhere and hair down to his waist shouted out "England that way, Scotland that way" and off we went, so many bruises at the end it was unreal and I dont think there was a goal scored!!! and metaliica were superb too so topped off a great day.

And the best festival i have done is Reading in 1992, simply for Nivarna (it pissed down from the Thursday to the Sunday and was miserable until the Sunday night at about 9pm) and then Kurt Cabain was pushed onto Stage in a wheelchair, the lights were all out apart from a really dim one on the wheelchair and there was silence in the crowd and they:guitar: just ripped into "breed" just awesome and I think Nivarna themselves rated as one of if not there best performace EVER.:guitar:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Oasis at Wembley for me , great warm up - overall a beautiful day and finally got to see them live :) enjoyed it

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
REM at the Cardiff International Arena.

They were supposed to be playing the Millennium Stadium but some issue meant they couldn't, so instead of cancelling the date entirely they agreed to play the far smaller CIA, with tickets from the cancelled gig exchanged on a first come, first served basis, with everyone else just getting refunds.

I was lucky enough to get mine exchanged and got to watch one of the biggest bands in the world play something roughly akin to the Brighton Centre (at a guess). Michael Stipe said himself that they almost enjoyed it more than they would have at the original venue simply because they don't get to play such small places anymore, places where there's no big light and sound show (just one video screen as the backdrop) and where it has to be all about the music. In that regard as well they were absolutely superb, all the big stuff obviously got played (except Everybody Hurts, which apparently they don't do live anymore) as well as the usual range of then-current album stuff, and a segment they do quite often where they play the most obscure early album track they can come up with, just to keep the set a bit fresh.

Cracking night of music as it ought to be. :thumbsup:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Having been to about 500 now I dont have the memory to think of one. Possibly Wedding Present 1990 Reading (no other festival was like it), possibly Cardiacs on the night England beat Holland 4-1, possibly Spiritualised at the zap (1990?), Tuneyards last week?, oh I dunno.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Kasabian at the Dome a couple of years ago, they smashed it! I got off the train at Brighton and my mate called me and said Pete Doherty was singing outside Audio so I bolted down and watched that, then had a few beers and a bit of 'this and that' in the Speigal tent before hitting the Dome. Fantastic night! Saw Oasis 3 times including Wembley (got f***ing soaked that night and got on the wrong tube home) and each time was disappointed, wish I had caught them at their peak in the late 90's

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bob Marley and the Wailers.
Uprising Tour.
Brighton Centre, 1980.
Privileged to have seen the great man in the flesh, and his superb backing team, the I-Threes.
Finished the set with "Redemption Song".
Some of you would be familiar with the acoustic version on the Uprising album?
Bob started singing, and after each verse, an instrument would join in, until at the end of the song, a full-scale reggae beat and all that goes with it.
Unforgetable, beautiful, spiritual, wonderful.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
REM Old Trafford Cricket Ground about 9 years ago or Prodigy at Brighton Centre 10 years or so ago

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Radiohead - V Festival - 2006. Shit festival, shit lineup - Made bearable by the Radiohead greatest hits set. They even played Creep, that they were famous for not playing at that point. Seen them since and they haven't come close.

My Bloody Valentine ATP 2009 - Still the last 2 gigs that the band played. Knew they had a fearsome live reputation but by some distance the best band I have ever heard live. Ear bleeding at times.

Arctic Monkeys/ Maccabees - Komedia Brighton - 2005 - Just before the first single went to number 1, unbelievable atmosphere. An unheard of Maccabees were fairly good as well.

Sonic Youth - Roundhouse (Daydream Nation show) - 2007 - Amazing seeing your favourite album in it's entirety, especially from a band famed for not playing their oldies.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Having been to about 500 now I dont have the memory to think of one. Possibly Wedding Present 1990 Reading (no other festival was like it), possibly Cardiacs on the night England beat Holland 4-1, possibly Spiritualised at the zap (1990?), Tuneyards last week?, oh I dunno.

Amen to Tune-Yards - she has been so special both times I've seen her. Amazingly there were probably only about 70 odd people at her Freebutt show last year!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Raveonettes in 2005 at the Astoria. Everyone was hammered and throwing stuff at the band, getting on stage and pushing them. It was hilarious and they loved it. Really got into the vibe. It was all good natured I guess but if I was them I'd have been bricking it. Saw them at Islington a few weeks back too, pretty goo dthe. Other than that arcade fire, pixies and dogs gave been amazing every time I've seen them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Arctic Monkeys/ Maccabees - Komedia Brighton - 2005 - Just before the first single went to number 1, unbelievable atmosphere. An unheard of Maccabees were fairly good as well.

That gig was crazy. Just as the Monkeys blew up, venue FAR too small for them even at that point.

Amahwrang

I usually am
Feb 2, 2011
Glasgow
Still has to be the Clash 6th Jan 1980 at Canterbury Odeon. had tickets for the upper balcony but just before the Clash came on every one was just being let in downstairs, they just walked on stage picked up their guitars Joe said "allright" and then the next two hours is still the most memorable night of music, managed to get the set list which is stuck to the back of my London Calling Album now completely worn out! 31 years ago but remembering tracks like 1977 and Guns of Brixton still bring a shiver to my spine. Adam & Ants Hammersmith appollo 1981 was also brilliant as was P.I.L. Brighton Top Rank 1983/4

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Saw prodigy last year at mk bowl with pendulum supporting with chase and status, can't ask for much more really

Saw coldplay at wembly aswell with Jay-z supporting which was epic, also Muse are amazing live

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
pogues at Brighton centre were good

best Ever Depeche Mode at Wembley Arena, but i was big into them

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Would have to be Live 8 in Hyde Park due to the tremendous line up.

bon Jovi in Hyde park on Saturday was very close behind it though. An awesome 3 hours and Ray Davis in support was very good too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here