Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Carpenter shouting and waving.........

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Coppell: "The two Brighton players tonight that really caught my eye were the two stalwarts, Chippie and Charlie in midfield. I think that I've got a good midfield combination at Reading, but the two of them matched them for 90 minutes."

I had thought Chippy had a below par game on Tuesday given that there were a few misplaced passes. But I've reconsidered my view on that, given what Coppell is saying - what he is referring to I think is that the job of central midfielder is many and varied, covering space, defending the back 4, linking to wide and advanced players, and that Chippy and Charlie did most of that well on Tuesday, albeit there was a few stray passes particularly from Chippy, which resulted in over-harsh and one-sided judgements from Brighton fans.

Uncle Buck - I know you are a Coppell admirer and will respect and give weight to his footballing judgements.

My view from Tuesday is that we were out classed in the midfield. My long term worry is that the midfield pairing of Oatway and Carpenter is very predictable and neither really have the abilty to play that killer pass. However that sort of player is difficult to find, so we have to make do with what we have. However they need to be in some form, we cannot afford to carry players.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Jam The Man said:
I think he will absolutely prove to be money well spent. It's hard to be impartial as not normally would I have such a vested interest in any one player!!! Though in the past with all new players into the club I have given them 100% backing until in my opinion I think enough is enough... that said most of us were wrong about Guy Butters.

I think we all should realise that yesterday was only CKR's 33rd game EVER, and 20 of those have been coming off the bench. Having spoken to him & his Dad(!) I know he is made up to be here, and cannot wait to start delivering the goods. By his own admission he feels he has not had a really good game yet, which is quite humble considering many people on this forum feel he has done alright so far.

He really wants to do well for us, and is determined to do so... as John Byrne said yesterday, players need a good solid run in the team to get going.. 1 full game and 2x70 mins worth tell me to stick with him and the benefit will be obvious in good time.

Not that many footballers set the world alight in their first 3 games. Not that i'm comparing but when Lineker went to Spurs, it took him until his 7th game to score!

Keep the faith! Plus McGhee stated at the time of buying that he will be a player of potential for the future.

Absolutely spot on, Jam the Man. I feel that CKR is under too much pressure to perform early on. I have been very impressed with how much he has been involved and defenders clearly do not like playing against him. I think it was a shame he missed that chance at Derby as it would have given him a massive boost of confidence. Hopefully he will come good though.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
As for Chippy and Charlie yesterday, I thought they were both well off the pace. Charlie at least got stuck in, but his passing was awful, but Chippy was hardly there. Hammond has surely got to be in centre midfield.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
London Irish said:
Wasn't that the point I was making? Fair point from you, though, I didn't mean to tag EVERYONE on NSC, but you must agree that an extraordinary number of people on here are having a go at him. It's almost like a delayed reaction from Tuesday, the trollish sharks taste blood and they can't stop gnawing, regardless of the level of performance that is put in.

I think the point is that we are comparing Chippy's performances this season with previous seasons, when he has been excellent, and so his dip in form has been extremely noticeable. Like it or not, it is not working to have both him and Charlie in central midfield at the moment. Hammond is wasted on the wing, particularly when it comes to balls coming into the box, which is where he should be to challenge for them and give us a better chance of scoring a goal.

West Hoathly Seagull said:
Hammond is wasted on the wing

Funny way to describe our top scorer.

Has anyone thought that playing midfield might burden him too much with protecting the back 4 and not give him enough opportunity to break into the box. Under the very flexible 4-5-1 system we employed against Crewe, he had a lot of freedom to break forward.

Uncle Buck said:
My view from Tuesday is that we were out classed in the midfield.

My view is that we were outclased on the flanks, hence why McGhee was so determined to do something about it for Crewe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Icy Gull said:
For McGhee read Adams, Taylor or Coppell. Fans like that are part of the scenery at Withdean, most of them would have been in the West Stand at the Goldstone. Find it hard to believe that people abuse players and the management during the game, with a bit of luck they'll give up bothering to turn out to watch.

The obvious solution, as stated on here many times, is to move the dugouts to the other side of the pitch.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
junior said:
Trying to get a ticket is too much hassle:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would suggest that maybe your just too lazy.

I live in a different country,and often get back to Brighton at short notice.I ALWAYS manage to get a ticket without fail.

If you live in brighton all u have to do is get yourself to the club shop and hand over a few pounds,and if ur not in brighton then a quick phone call to the ticket office generaly secures a ticket.

You cant use that as an excuse for not going:angry:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Only just over 6,000 there, how can you say you cant get a ticket? Bollocks.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
brightonfan_86 said:
I don't think chippy had a bad game atall, even through he looked tired near the end.

what game were you watching kev .. his first touch was poor and he looked a yard off the pace !

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Jam The Man said:
I think he will absolutely prove to be money well spent. It's hard to be impartial as not normally would I have such a vested interest in any one player!!! Though in the past with all new players into the club I have given them 100% backing until in my opinion I think enough is enough... that said most of us were wrong about Guy Butters.

I think we all should realise that yesterday was only CKR's 33rd game EVER, and 20 of those have been coming off the bench. Having spoken to him & his Dad(!) I know he is made up to be here, and cannot wait to start delivering the goods. By his own admission he feels he has not had a really good game yet, which is quite humble considering many people on this forum feel he has done alright so far.

He really wants to do well for us, and is determined to do so... as John Byrne said yesterday, players need a good solid run in the team to get going.. 1 full game and 2x70 mins worth tell me to stick with him and the benefit will be obvious in good time.

Not that many footballers set the world alight in their first 3 games. Not that i'm comparing but when Lineker went to Spurs, it took him until his 7th game to score!

Keep the faith! Plus McGhee stated at the time of buying that he will be a player of potential for the future.

Spot on .. i think he gives us options up front and that certainly showed when he was taken off by the lack of those options !..Also not harping on but i do believe jake should be used from the off ..he looks lively and is another who chases the lost cause to gain something.. when he goes forward you can almost anticipating something happening .

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
London Irish said:
Here's hoping. I still find it incredible that people thought Chippy had a bad game yesterday. It seems once you get tagged as an NSC scapegoat, as Chippy did after Tuesday's game where he was a little below par, it doesn't matter if you play well or not, you are going to get a slagging. Pretty sad.

LI Even you can appreciate what good performances Chippy has put in in the past .. i for one have and think he still has a great deal to offer .. But, he has been below par for his last two games .. to me he looked tired and a yard off the pace , but to be fair i dont think he is getting much help from Oatway .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here