Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Carpenter shouting and waving.........

Uncle Buck said:
The thing is in the game I watched yesterday, Carpenter was poor, not sure what one you watched.

I think when it comes to Carpenter, people are noticing that he is having a bad patch as he has been so consitent over the years, that now it is being pointed out that he is out of form.

Am sure he will get through it, but it is a worry at present.

Did you think he looked out of form against Derby?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No against Derby he looked ok but then against Derby his job was more straight forward. I think the creative burden falls mainly on his shoulders when we play at home because Oatway will always play the holding role.

London Irish said:
Wasn't that the point I was making? Fair point from you, though, I didn't mean to tag EVERYONE on NSC, but you must agree that an extraordinary number of people on here are having a go at him. It's almost like a delayed reaction from Tuesday, the trollish sharks taste blood and they can't stop gnawing.

My point was more that the people having a pop at Chippy at Withdean yesterday didn't necessarily have anything to do with this place.

I can see that there are plenty of people having digs at him (and Charlie, again) on here, but with exception of a couple, I tend to ignore a lot of that bleating as many of them have never even demonstrated that they have the slightest idea what they're talking about.

As Uncle Buck said, he is playing under par at the moment, and it's noticeable in a team that is going to have to be at the top of its game to survive in this division.

Richie Morris said:
No against Derby he looked ok but then against Derby his job was more straight forward. I think the creative burden falls mainly on his shoulders when we play at home because Oatway will always play the holding role.

I don't think that is Chippy's role in the team, but it is understandable if you judge him by those standards that you will be disappointed.

In the 4-5-1 we played yesterday, the creative midfield roles were performed by Knight and Carole. Chippy and Charlie's roles are to boss the centre of the pitch to deny the opposing midfield both time and the ball - which they did very well - and to link with our creative players, which they did reasonably well.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Did you think he looked out of form against Derby?

Against Derby everyone had clearly defined roles to contain the opposition.

In home games we have to go on the offensive a bit more and a central midfield pairing of Oatway and Carpenter are struggling with that at present.

Against Reading I thought they are over run by a far better pairing of Sidwell and Harper, they were quicker than our 2 and when they had the ball they always looked like they would do something. Yesterday, Chippy looked poor, but he has had so few bad games for us over the years that at this stage it is hard to criticise and he will get himself back into some form and will always work his socks off.

What does worry me is neither him or Oatway are all that fast and they are both approaching that veteran stage and so are getting slower and maybe stamina is going to become an issue. Eventually one if not both of them is going to need to be phased out, it is just currently that maybe sooner rather than later.

Uncle Buck said:
Against Reading I thought they are over run by a far better pairing of Sidwell and Harper

How do you explain Coppell's comments that he thought they matched his central pair?

Uncle Buck said:
In home games we have to go on the offensive a bit more

I agree, but the issue is whether it is primarily their role to do that, or Knight and Carole's.

Oct 25, 2003
London Irish said:
How do you explain Coppell's comments that he thought they matched his central pair?

just because coppell said they were good doesn't mean they were good does it?

reading overran us in midfield big time

Uncle Buck said:
Not seen any comments, but from what I saw that just looked quicker than our 2 and did more with the ball. But then there are not many better players than Sidwell in this league.

Coppell: "The two Brighton players tonight that really caught my eye were the two stalwarts, Chippie and Charlie in midfield. I think that I've got a good midfield combination at Reading, but the two of them matched them for 90 minutes."

I had thought Chippy had a below par game on Tuesday given that there were a few misplaced passes. But I've reconsidered my view on that, given what Coppell is saying - what he is referring to I think is that the job of central midfielder is many and varied, covering space, defending the back 4, linking to wide and advanced players, and that Chippy and Charlie did most of that well on Tuesday, albeit there was a few stray passes particularly from Chippy, which resulted in over-harsh and one-sided judgements from Brighton fans.

Uncle Buck - I know you are a Coppell admirer and will respect and give weight to his footballing judgements.

Last edited:

tommy boy said:
just because coppell said they were good doesn't mean they were good does it?

reading overran us in midfield big time

Whom am I meant to listen to more, you or Coppell?

Last edited:

tommy boy said:
i always thought virgo was good

coppell thought he was shit

i know more:)

Bravo! - point me to your 2003/4 NSC posting then :)

London Irish said:

I had thought Chippy had a below par game on Tuesday given that there were a few misplaced passes. But I've reconsidered my view on that, given what Coppell is saying

So you're too weak to keep faith in your own judgement due to one judas bastards opinion?

Oct 25, 2003
i can't be bothered to be honest as i'm picking my girlfriend up from gatwick and i'm leaving in about 10 mins

i also don't post ALL of my opinions on here so it might not even be there

anyway,

managers are never 100% correct(no-one is, not even you), what i was saying was that just because sc said oatway and carpenter had good games, it doesn't mean they did

Happy Seagull said:
So you're too weak to keep faith in your own judgement due to one judas bastards opinion?

Or another way of putting it is that I'm not idiotically stubborn enough to sit in my bunker when an acknowledged football expert and effective former servant of the Albion educates me on a complex subject.

Still, I think it makes a refreshing change for someone not having a pop at me for being dogmatic. :drink: :drink:

tommy boy said:
i can't be bothered to be honest as i'm picking my girlfriend up from gatwick and i'm leaving in about 10 mins

i also don't post ALL of my opinions on here so it might not even be there

Won't take my bets, can't find the posts you boast about, you're a constant disappointment to me, mate :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here