Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What table manners were you taught

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
When I was young, and with a big family seated round the table, my mum would have a wooden spoon alongside her to give a sharp blow to anyone with their elbows on the table.
I still dont do this today - job done. :thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We did elbows off the table for our two (who are now adults), and no speaking with your mouth full, and close your mouth when chewing. Also no-one starts until everyone is ready (unless under special permission). And you have to ask permission to leave the table.

Sounds like the 50's - but every house needs its rules.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Did anyone say prayers as well?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
We did elbows off the table for our two (who are now adults), and no speaking with your mouth full, and close your mouth when chewing. Also no-one starts until everyone is ready (unless under special permission). And you have to ask permission to leave the table.

We do that with our littlun

Just manners and they go a long way

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
We are teaching our two little ones (5 and 2) to remain at the table until we are all finished and to then ask to leave the table.

To say please and thank you when asking for food in bowles i.e greens and potatoes

Also taking their empty plates to the kitchen.

Good manners go a long way

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
None that I remember, other than my mother being dismayed that I apparently hold my knife and fork backwards.

To add to that we also eat in the kitchen cause the dining room was and still is full of computer and TV gear... :whitetrash:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Pretty much what I was brought up with. Oh, and thanking Mum for the dinner once we'd finished, and no moaning that we were being served cabbage or broccoli.

Shouldn't really say this, and I'm not necessarily one to talk, but my step-daughter, uncorrected by her mother, still eats 'American-style'. One elbow on the table, only using her fork to cut the food, push it round her plate and eat with, while leaning over her dinner to shovel food in. Even if we're having roast beef.

Might as well stick it in a trough and have done with it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Apart from all the above don't eat with your mouth open, surprising how many people do and the other thing was the correct way to hold and use a knife and fork. Not quite as simple as it seems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here