Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What table manners were you taught

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Every bloody rule there is, we had to abide by it, no wonder I couldn't wait to leave home. I was even told that I must hold the knife in a certain way, even though it hurt. However, now I am a mum, my kids know how to behave properly.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Seriously, who took the MOST sharp blows?... Please don't say it was my mum... :lol:

Cant remember exactly, but think it was pretty evenly distributed:bigwave:

PS Have you seen the U tube pictures of my other sister? If not pm me and I will send on the links.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We did elbows off the table for our two (who are now adults), and no speaking with your mouth full, and close your mouth when chewing. Also no-one starts until everyone is ready (unless under special permission). And you have to ask permission to leave the table.

Sounds like the 50's - but every house needs its rules.

Sounds about right, no making noise when chewing either! my mum would hate it if we had a friend round and they didnt have table manners i think she refused to have one of my brothers friends round as he didnt say please or thank you :lolol:

but i totally agree with it, manners cost nothing :blush: :angel:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Is it just me, or is there a pattern developing between people having table manners and their behaviour on NSC.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
When I was young, and with a big family seated round the table, my mum would have a wooden spoon alongside her to give a sharp blow to anyone with their elbows on the table.
I still dont do this today - job done. :thumbsup:

Is that why you sat on the opposite side of the table? :laugh:

Certain pubs, like the prince Albert, give you a wooden spoon (with a number on) when you order food.

We get our g'kids to eat up at the table, something I don't think they always do at home. They quite enjoy it, all eating together, and are getting the hang of using utensils rather than fingers!

When they aren't here, I'll eat mine on the settee, slob!.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
shovel it all in as quick as, then lick the plate. straight back in the cupboard, no need to wash it up!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
We did elbows off the table for our two (who are now adults), and no speaking with your mouth full, and close your mouth when chewing. Also no-one starts until everyone is ready (unless under special permission). And you have to ask permission to leave the table.

Exactly the same plus no slurping anbd always tip the soup bowl away from you..... foriegners find that very funny!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

Like, totally, ditto, man. Correct position of knife and fork (denoting a rest or finished) as well. No slurping your drinks, and don't bite your sister.

Parents could never teach me how to use a knife and fork the correct way as I'm left handed. It was a case of "it works for him so let him get on with it."

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I thought I had good table manners, until my wife started to make comments about my eating habits. Apparently I use my cutlery incorrectly, shouldn't drink leftover milk directly out of cereal bowl, and am the worst eater of soup the world has ever seen.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I thought I had good table manners, until my wife started to make comments about my eating habits. Apparently I use my cutlery incorrectly, shouldn't drink leftover milk directly out of cereal bowl, and am the worst eater of soup the world has ever seen.

Beat that bitch down, until she admits your habits are fine :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here