Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What table manners were you taught

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Like lots of other people, we had to start our meal together, had to ask permission to leave the table, use a knife and fork (and put food on the back of the fork) and not leave anything on the plate.

We do pretty much the same with our kids - except the back of fork bit - although they don't have to eat anything they don't like. Very different from me: I loathed meat and still recollect the horror of being forced to eat pork or lamb until I was gagging.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I loathed meat and still recollect the horror of being forced to eat pork or lamb until I was gagging.

Yeh, the two stock phrases seemed to be:

"You dont get any sweet till all your dinner (main course) is eaten"

or

"You dont get down from the table till its all gone"

I remember once going for a curry in an excellent Indian restaurant in Leicester. One of our party had been brought up in village India and really impressed the guy who ran the place by not ordering rice and not using cutlery. He just shovelled his food into his mouth, using the chapati.

We were treated like kings ... just because one of us had PROPER TABLE MANNERS.

I don't think the reaction would be the same everywhere. No-one likes to see a yorkshire pudding used to spoon up roast spuds and brussel sprouts.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I remember once going for a curry in an excellent Indian restaurant in Leicester. One of our party had been brought up in village India and really impressed the guy who ran the place by not ordering rice and not using cutlery. He just shovelled his food into his mouth, using the chapati.

We were treated like kings ... just because one of us had PROPER TABLE MANNERS.

I don't think the reaction would be the same everywhere. No-one likes to see a yorkshire pudding used to spoon up roast spuds and brussel sprouts.

In many Bradford curry houses you have to ask for cutlery. Otherwise the expectation is you will eat using chapati.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In many Bradford curry houses you have to ask for cutlery. Otherwise the expectation is you will eat using chapati.

That's right. Although I should point out that I ate in a curry house pretty near to every day for three years and never once saw ANYONE ask for cutlery.

I also ate in a place in Dubai that had no cutlery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here