Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What one thing would you change about football?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
every team starts at the extra prelimary in the fa cup it would be amazing imangine afc uckfield v manchester united with afc uckfield at home or gurnesey v chelsea or maybe add the scottish, Irish, Welsh, Northern Irish, Gurnsey, Jersey and Isle of Man league for added spice
Yeh, like that - but maybe doing it by replacing the League Cup, ceded, with each Scottish clunb being guaranteed a tie against English (or possibly Welsh ) opposition - over two legs in the early stages.

My personal wish? Get rid of away strips (except where absolutely necessary because of colour clashes)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Preferred creditor rule.

Nope.....

Just a constant monitoring of clubs financial status and transfer embargo / ban on buying players until clubs can demonstrate a financial good bill of health.

Oh the stupidity of introducing that in the first place.

Borrowing against future season ticket revenue.. another on.

Stupid contracts where clubs end up still paying a players wages once they have left.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Introduce a play off system into the Premier League to decide the Champions League places, under the first two places places.

How many qualify 4 ? (that's how much interest I pay....)

Give the third spot to the winners of the play off and the fourth to the FA Cup winners to revitalise that competition.

This would help control the perpetual success that qualification and the money from TV rights brings.

We don't give the winner of the hundred metres a 10 metre start the next, but we are quite happy to do it in football.

"but we finished 3rd" boo, hoo, hoo.

Yeah, but you finished second last year and went into a competition for "Champions".

God, I'd wish they would do this. It would really help to mix it up a bit up there.

This is the best one.

Followed by all games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Premier League = 3 Champions League, 3 relegated.
Championship = 3 promoted, 3 relegated.
League 1 = 3 promoted, 3 relegated.
League 2 = 3 promoted, 3 relegated.

Unrealistic / unfair?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A points based salary cap. Based on league you are in, performance on pitch, international Apps, team league position from previous season

That would ruin football. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham would all be able to pay more because of the clubs' history. Thus ensuring they will always get the better players because newcastle, villa, everton, sunderland etc. can't afford to match their wages. The better players then ensure they finish higher, thus meaning the following year they continue to have a higher wage cap than opponents, ensuring a status quo that is like has happened in Scotland and various leagues where Champions League qualification gives one/two clubs in the country a huge financial boost that gives them the unfair advantage over every other team. Top teams stay as top teams, bottom teams stay as bottom teams.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is the best one.

Followed by all games kicking off at 3pm on a Saturday.

Thank, it's about the 100th time I posted it on here !

.. before anyone suggests that it penalises success - it doesn't. It simply compensates for the disproportionate rewards the Champions League brings.

How many times have we heard - he'll be leaving them because they can't guarentee European football etc...

It's ruining the game. Qualification for a competition should be based purely on merit. Not how well you did in the year before.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Premier League = 3 Champions League, 3 relegated.
Championship = 3 promoted, 3 relegated.
League 1 = 3 promoted, 3 relegated.
League 2 = 3 promoted, 3 relegated.

Unrealistic / unfair?

Unfair possibly, unrealistic MASSIVELY.

Do you remember when the play offs were introduced ? Many people were against them, but you don't hear that now. In terms of the Premiership, they already have a play off anyway with the league element of the Champions League.

All I'm suggesting is move the league element DOWN to the respective national leagues.

The problem is money and the break off of the Premiership. The financial riches have been skewed to a degree where you are given a financial advantage over other teams in the championship if you get relegated.

( One the reasons ? it will help the national team - oh my f*cking sides are splitting )

Madness, utter, utter madness. Yeah - we will give a head start because you were shit last year.

At the other end of the scale, you get a head start in the champions league through budget merely through qualifying the year before.

Put that in the context of any other sport. It's not sport - it's ANTI SPORT.

So - you need to put measures in place to counter-act it. A play off in the Premier League would be a really good start.

The next nightmare scenario will be clubs negotiating their own TV rights. When that happens we can pick up the football and go home. It's over.

The game has gone.

Manchester United could generate more income in three matches than do over the entire current season. That's the reality. QPR may generate enough to paint the burger stall.

Perhaps I am looking back nostalgically to time when Villa could mean the league. But you know what, it wasn't actually that bad.

But imagine the media reaction to that ? It would be like Acrington Stanley winning the cup...

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Any player shielding the ball near the corner flag in the last few minutes can be legally kicked in the arse by an opponent.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Unfair possibly, unrealistic MASSIVELY.

Do you remember when the play offs were introduced ? Many people were against them, but you don't here that now. In terms of the Premiership, they already have a play off anyway with the league element of the Champions League.

All I'm suggesting is move the league element DOWN to the respective national leagues.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I didn't mean top 3 to go up. I like the play-offs, keep that the same. I just think it is daft that 4 get relegated from League 1 for absolutely no reason at all, and 3rd in League 2 is enough to get promotion automatically. I don't understand why only 2 clubs get relegated out of League 2 aswell, the vast majority of Conference clubs are professional now anyway, so even if it isn't recognised as League 3, there should be 3 promoted from it, the quality is there.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, I didn't mean top 3 to go up. I like the play-offs, keep that the same. I just think it is daft that 4 get relegated from League 1 for absolutely no reason at all, and 3rd in League 2 is enough to get promotion automatically. I don't understand why only 2 clubs get relegated out of League 2 aswell, the vast majority of Conference clubs are professional now anyway, so even if it isn't recognised as League 3, there should be 3 promoted from it, the quality is there.

Right, sorry - I did my usual Premier League play off rant !

I agree with you. Stupid attempt by the league to protect clubs existence, when they have lost control of the REAL problem.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
For me I would limit the amount of foreigners in a team. I know European laws now prevent this, but IMO this would be the only way to nurture our home grown talent which will ultimately benefit the national team. Would encourage lower league teams, including us, to nurture local talent. So what if a prem team bid millions for them, we just re invest in our youth.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I get annoyed when people use business analogies to defend the status quo.. i.e. the most successful clubs will prosper.

Well, I'm not sure many businesses would continue running with the losses Chelsea are making. So there has to be a middle ground.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"If he is not interfering with play, he should not be on the pitch" Cloughie. I would change the offside law.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
All weekend matches to kick off at 3pm Saturday afternoon.

FA cup semi-finals to be played at the same time, at venues other than Wembley

Agree with both of those!

The semis should be at a neutral venue at a suitable location for both clubs. Devalues the final by having the semis at Wembley.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I'd like to see 30 mins each half and run by a clock. Players and fans would then know exactly how much time is left.

It would do away with time wasting at a stroke, if the ball is dead, the clock stops. It works well in other sports and
ironically, you would get more play in a game than under the present rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here