Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What is the record opening stand v Sussex?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Middlesex declare 676/5!

In their shoes, given that nobody gives a flying **** whether they finish 3rd, 4th or 5th in Division / Group / Set Three of this ignored and sidelined 2021 Championship, I think I'd have cast off all pretence of going for the win, and just batted on to the most ridiculous total possible.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Middlesex declare 676/5!

In their shoes, given that nobody gives a flying **** whether they finish 3rd, 4th or 5th in Division / Group / Set Three of this ignored and sidelined 2021 Championship, I think I'd have cast off all pretence of going for the win, and just batted on to the most ridiculous total possible.

HKFC you are far more informed than me on these matters, but coming back from the cemetery yesterday I was listening to TMS lunch break, and they said franchise cricket was partly about reducing the amount of First Class Counties, are Sussex actually in danger of becoming a Minor County?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There are only two senior pros being rested - Salt and Jordan (both of whom are off to other counties so may not be fully committed to Sussex (and Jordan has hardly played any red ball cricket - if any - for two years)

I do question the wisdom of only giving Wright, Bopara and Wiese white ball contracts though - their experience would have been useful in helping these kids, particularly Wright's . I said that at the time and I stand by it

You seem a knowledgeable chap on Sussex, so as a casual fan - can you explain what the end goal of Sussex is?

I fully understand they are miles off in the championship and that’s understandable - but I always thought the idea was to go all out for the T20 as it’s where the money is and the most realistic chance of winning anything and makes the most sense for a smaller county.

So why are they letting Salt/CJ go who where both happy to stay according to prior.

Is it not just developing home grown players and see what happens?

Do the club have decent white ball players lined up to come in?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmm, If anyone knows of the difficulties of getting a ground built it's TB.

He would have transformed himself from one of the most popular to most unpopular men in the county overnight.

**** Nobby sniffs the air *** hmm, what's that smell?

How come? It's basically what Hampshire did and now they've got a Test ground and a Hundred franchise. Future supporters may well look back at that as a huge missed opportunity - the problems of finding a site notwithstanding. (No, not the old Beeding Cement Works!)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
HKFC you are far more informed than me on these matters, but coming back from the cemetery yesterday I was listening to TMS lunch break, and they said franchise cricket was partly about reducing the amount of First Class Counties, are Sussex actually in danger of becoming a Minor County?

It isn't the stated aim (they couldn't really admit that) but it could well ultimately be the end result, a few years down the line. Maybe not actually a minor County in the current sense, but very much a lower class standard than the 9(?) Test hosting clubs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So why are they letting Salt/CJ go who where both happy to stay according to prior.

That's not quite what Prior said. He said that money wasn't the reason that they were leaving - he didn't elaborate any further.

But yes, the club is looking to bring along more home-grown players. They've completely transformed the grassroots game in the past few years, there's much closer integration between county and clubs and there's now a clear pathway for juniors.

I definitely think BACA has helped here - it's almost certainly the leading state school for cricket in the country, let alone Sussex. And with the many private schools - notably Bede's - helping out, there are some very promising cricketers coming through.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That's not quite what Prior said. He said that money wasn't the reason that they were leaving - he didn't elaborate any further.

But yes, the club is looking to bring along more home-grown players. They've completely transformed the grassroots game in the past few years, there's much closer integration between county and clubs and there's now a clear pathway for juniors.

I definitely think BACA has helped here - it's almost certainly the leading state school for cricket in the country, let alone Sussex. And with the many private schools - notably Bede's - helping out, there are some very promising cricketers coming through.

It does sound like it is for cricketing reasons, but then again that’s an easy out to hide the real reason of a pay rise.

I’m all for the home grown way of doing it and it sounds like Sussex have the set up to achieve it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It isn't the stated aim (they couldn't really admit that) but it could well ultimately be the end result, a few years down the line. Maybe not actually a minor County in the current sense, but very much a lower class standard than the 9(?) Test hosting clubs.

So a 9 (test) club CC with no relegation?

And Sussex in with the rest in Crickets Vauxhall Conference, but being allowed to play 40 overs comps and T20?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Something like that, I'd say, yes.

I think it will be like that but I think there will be relegation and promotion for one team every season - although I'd expect the 'minor' county to struggle

Any changes would have to get approval from 18 counties plus one vote for MCC and one vote for Minors. I can't see them agreeing to cast so many counties adrift

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
How come? It's basically what Hampshire did and now they've got a Test ground and a Hundred franchise. Future supporters may well look back at that as a huge missed opportunity - the problems of finding a site notwithstanding. (No, not the old Beeding Cement Works!)

I remember there was a plan at about the time Falmer was being proposed for the Albion for there to be a joint development, which I would have thought would have been ideal (presumably the cricket ground would have been built on the Village Way South land). However, there was quite an outcry from traditionalists at the time (I'm sure the reason it got dropped was financial, and difficulties in getting planning permission rather than that), and it didn't go any further. Mind you, I'm not surprised there would have been opposition - SCCC got enough protests from the deckchair brigade when they proposed a new pavilion at the Cromwell Road End. I don't suppose it was that popular with the old boys who sat on the benches in the north west corner when they built the new dressing rooms. Now of course, with the National Park, you would never get anything built on Village Way South.

Mind you, a joint cricket and football development would probably have been even harder to get permission for than the Amex was.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it will be like that but I think there will be relegation and promotion for one team every season - although I'd expect the 'minor' county to struggle

Perhaps, although as you suggest, the promoted team would go back down every season, and the relegated team would smash everybody in winning immediate promotion back up. (In essence, just like the Rugby Premiership / Championship over the last decade!)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Perhaps, although as you suggest, the promoted team would go back down every season, and the relegated team would smash everybody in winning immediate promotion back up. (In essence, just like the Rugby Premiership / Championship over the last decade!)

With perhaps the odd Exeter or Bristol upsetting the trend...

It's very upsetting that it is heading this way. Almost like a class based society. It's the reason why I reluctantly support the T20 set up as it is a cash cow. But this is the reason why Sussex are acting the way they are. I can't see how they could do it differently.

It seems to have sped up since cricket left terrestrial TV. There is a link. So we come back to The Hundred. I don't like it, but it's introducing the game to more audiences.

Remember Test matches on Auntie and the Sunday League on the box ? Of course you do. Oh, the days. And none of these worries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
103 - 0 close

This looks like what Ken Barrington called a bed and breakfast pitch,

I've got the day off tomorrow and am off to the CG. Let's hope Sussex carry on in this vein

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Think there’s a bit of wishful thinking here. Two days in the sun, psychologically being hammered - then having to bat for an hour or two - I don’t hold out much hope. Avoiding the follow on would be a major achievement. Scoring 200 would be an achievement.

Could be a young mans batting wicket yet, any sign of rain

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So what's the Sussex record opening stand aganst Middlesex? Orr and Haines have just reached 100.

Sussex's record opening partnership was against Middlesex - the massive 490 that Ted Bowley and John Langridge put on in 1933. It's the second highest partnership in the CC. If Haines and Orr beat that, they're going some

I interviewed John for The Cricketer once and he was typically modest about that partnership, said that it was a good batting track where everything came together. It sounds like this wicket is similar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here