Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What is the record opening stand v Sussex?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Taking a wider cricketing perspective for a moment, is anybody watching to know whether Hollman's bowling well for his wickets? I gather he's a 20year old leggie who is actually from Middlesex, so if that's right it would be nice to see him do well if it wasn't against us.

Yes - he's bowled very well this afternoon, and delivered some extremely challenging deliveries.

It is the perfect situation, obviously though - he's also bowled the occasional shocker, but given the match situation means that any runs conceded are largely irrelevant, the odd boundary hasn't put any pressure on him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just got back from the game; some pretty sorry batting. FHP and Carson were undone by good deliveries, Brown was out-thought and Haines played a really tired shot but Garton, Ibrahim and Rawlins were irresponsible - I'll let Dan off as he's a kid but the other two were reckless - Rawlins' wild slog in the last over before tea was particularly shocking.

Hollman bowled well but he's no Warne and the wicket is still pretty good. There's no reason why they couldn't bat all day, just haven't got the mindset for it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just got back from the game; some pretty sorry batting. FHP and Carson were undone by good deliveries, Brown was out-thought and Haines played a really tired shot but Garton, Ibrahim and Rawlins were irresponsible - I'll let Dan off as he's a kid but the other two were reckless - Rawlins' wild slog in the last over before tea was particularly shocking.

Hollman bowled well but he's no Warne and the wicket is still pretty good. There's no reason why they couldn't bat all day, just haven't got the mindset for it.

Thanks. How did the Sussex fans and members react to yet another collapse/defeat and such an inexperienced team?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks. How did the Sussex fans and members react to yet another collapse/defeat and such an inexperienced team?

There were some angry shouts when Rawlins got out - someone near us yelled "disgraceful" and I think there was some booing.

It was possible to score runs on that pitch, Haines showed the way, it's a pity that no-one else had the concentration to help him

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I watched the first day and the phrase 'taking candy from a baby came to mind'. Trying hard not to be an old git (and lord knows we've had some poor teams in the past) but couldn't help reflecting on the likes of the Buss brothers, Graves, Suttle and all the other seasoned pros that were mainstays of the side. The 'seasoned pro' is an extinct species at Hove - in red ball cricket?

fisons

Feb 21, 2005

Not many Sussex supporters in to be honest. Nearly all
from The Middle.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not many Sussex supporters in to be honest. Nearly all
from The Middle.

They were all Sussex around us - some were tutting very loudly, the most British sign of displeasure

We should be talking about the real scandal yesterday - the Greig and Parks bars had both run out of Harvey's by mid-afternoon

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
They were all Sussex around us - some were tutting very loudly, the most British sign of displeasure

We should be talking about the real scandal yesterday - the Greig and Parks bars had both run out of Harvey's by mid-afternoon

Yeh, i'm sorry about that

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I missed this morning’s session, so this may have been brought up, but 22 year-old Tom Haines, halfway through the morning, became the leading run scorer in (all divisions of) the 2021 County Championship.

Great achievement, worth celebrating :clap2:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...ost_runs_career.html?id=13821;type=tournament

C3728588-2FF2-4E36-B0FA-F17586E9B4BD.jpeg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
See Millsy has been selected for the WC T20 preliminary squad, fair play to him as I thought he'd pretty much finished playing the game due to his back problem, if he manages to keep himself fit he would certainly make the team, does have a habit of bowling one pie per over but on the other hand can bowl at 93mph then without any action change bowl beautiful back of the hand 60mph wicket taking dabbers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's been an abject batting display from senior players who should know better.

How can Brown be stumped ...twice ... while trying to bat out a game.

What the hell was Rawlins thinking?

We have a load of kids batting and they shouldn't have to shoulder the blame but if Brown and Rawlins could have batted for an hour longer over both innings, we could well have saved this game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here