Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is the greatest purchase you've EVER made

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
My first motorbike, I had wanted one so badly for years. Bought a Yamaha XS250 just before my 17th birthday. Killed me paying that off, I was taking home £110 a month and paying £45 a month to buy the bike.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Mine are simply a couple of books.

In 1991 at school I read My Family and other Animals by Gerald Durrell. Great memories of sitting by the window in class with the sun streaming in.....
It kind of went forgotten about for 20yrs as I went through life, but I bought a copy about 10 years ago when I got back into reading - and have read it at least half a dozen times. Its rough round the edges, the pages are going yellow, but its just a simply glorious, perfect summer read. No monetary value at all - but it puts me in a good mood every time I pick it up. I also have the full Corfu Trilogy to get through now too.

The other book (a history of baseball, produced for an exhibition by the Smithsonian) is purely about value though. Recently found it on eBay and paid about £5 for it. When I got it in the post I found it had been signed by Ozzie Smith - a Hall of Fame inductee that actually played for my favourite MLB team in the '70s. Researched other books signed by him and they go for around £400. bargain!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I recently bought 3 different attractive “crystal” champagne flutes from a charity shop at £3 each..
As 2of them had those little gold labels on I googled them.
One retailed at £30, which was nice. Another (which is much heavier than the others) retailed at £300, which was a bit of a shock.
I have since donated additional monies to said charity shop, and enjoy using the glasses whenever appropriate.
Probably not my greatest purchase (that’ll be my first house which cost me £6170 - 3 beds, part central heating in 1974), but a nice one nevertheless.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably my unlikeliest purchase was a couple of tickets for Led Zeppelin at the O2. Would normally assume that any email in my junk folder with a title beginning 'You have been selected ...' would go straight in the recycle bin as a scam. But I did dimly recall applying for the ballot, same as just about everybody else in the Western world. And following a midweek match at Withdean, possibly with drink having been taken, I was powerless to avoid following the dodgy link in the email. Which against all odds turned out to be a genuine link :clap:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A bit of a weird one, in that I didn't buy it but I did possess it.......

A Virgin One off-set current bank account.

It was the most brilliant, flexible financial tool ever invented in my opinion.
We got the account in about 1999 and it was linked to the equity in our house.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Screenshot_20240531_190224_Gallery.jpg

My favourite toy.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Battery tester. £5 from Maplins years ago.

The number of batteries I've saved by identifying the dud one in a batch of 4 is amazing. Also allows me to check new ones have plenty of charge before fitting. Amazing piece of kit...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
A pizza from a Pizzeria in Ship St (sadly no longer there).

By far THE most expensive pizza I've ever bought if I add up the tens of thousands it's cost me over the years.

Still, no complaints. 2 kids, 2 grandkids and over 28 years of marriage and still going strong, since that first date.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City

In 1991 at school I read My Family and other Animals by Gerald Durrell. Great memories of sitting by the window in class with the sun streaming in.....
It kind of went forgotten about for 20yrs as I went through life, but I bought a copy about 10 years ago when I got back into reading - and have read it at least half a dozen times. Its rough round the edges, the pages are going yellow, but its just a simply glorious, perfect summer read. No monetary value at all - but it puts me in a good mood every time I pick it up. I also have the full Corfu Trilogy to get through now too.

The other book (a history of baseball, produced for an exhibition by the Smithsonian) is purely about value though. Recently found it on eBay and paid about £5 for it. When I got it in the post I found it had been signed by Ozzie Smith - a Hall of Fame inductee that actually played for my favourite MLB team in the '70s. Researched other books signed by him and they go for around £400. bargain!
The Durrells in Corfu was a great watch…

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

My sister bought me a Penguin paperback edition of My Family And Other Animals sometime in the 1960's prompting me to collect all Gerald Durrell's books that had then been published including the wonderful Bafut Beagles and a couple of subsequent hardbacks I had for Christmas. The little collection of 11 books were the only books from my peak teen reading years to make it through life to our current home in 2013. But my battered little much loved paperback that triggered it all was not to survive. Mrs Earle decided as it was my favourite book, it should be replaced by a new edition for my birthday and had already thrown away my treasured copy by the time I received my gift. I've never opened the new one. It stares balefully at me from it's place in alphabetical order amongst the other older Durrell's, still wondering if it will ever fulfil it's purpose.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My Bush Arena Hi-fi with Bush branded Wharfedale speakers. Saw me through my peak vinyl years from 1973 to my first CD player in the 90's. Never let me down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here