Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is the greatest purchase you've EVER made

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
You do know rechargeable batteries have been invented.
Oh yes, but I have always been very disappointed with them.
AA and AAA rechargeables are very expensive and have a habit of running out of charge with little notice, especially annoying with things like bike lights where traditional batteries start to go dim and then give you enough light to get home. Rechargeables are all or nothing, being nice and bright when you set out and then, bang, give up completely. Also annoying in remote controls.

I much prefer good quality Lithium single use batteries, hence the value of my battery tester. Oh and I've previously used my tester to find out that recharagble batteries wern't holding their charge !!

Last edited:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
AA and AAA rechargeables are very expensive and have a habit of running out of charge with little notice, especially annoying with things like bike lights where traditional batteries start to go dim and then give you enough light to get home. Rechargeables are all or nothing, being nice and bright when you set out and then, bang, give up completely. Also annoying in remote controls.

I much prefer good quality Lithium single use batteries, hence the value of my battery tester!
My experience too

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I much prefer good quality Lithium single use batteries, hence the value of my battery tester. Oh and I've previously used my tester to find out that recharagble batteries wern't holding their charge !!
I use the Amazon own brand AA rechargeable’s in my multi tester and they are impressive. It takes six batteries so was getting expensive to keep replacing. 8 AA’s for £11

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for getting back to me (y)
Think I shall go back to rounds on the stingray. It's costing me a bloody fortune in strings:ROFLMAO:

Another Bass player I know carried a full set of spare bass strings in their gig bag for over 50 years. When I asked whether they had ever actually used one, they proudly told me 'Yes, when the exhaust fell off the van and we had to tie it back up" :wink:

I don't remember you having a Stingray 40 years ago. Recent purchase or my memory going ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Value for money wise it would be my circa 1994 13ft Century Tip Tornado Lite,whilst I'm now convinced a good quality continental rod casts further than I can with the tornado I always take it with me and use it on flat sandy beaches targeting Ray,and Smoothound, it's as good today as the day I bought it.
Exciting stuff eh!
cat GIF

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Another Bass player I know carried a full set of spare bass strings in their gig bag for over 50 years. When I asked whether they had ever actually used one, they proudly told me 'Yes, when the exhaust fell off the van and we had to tie it back up" :wink:

I don't remember you having a Stingray 40 years ago. Recent purchase or my memory going ?
Haha, yeah, us bass players don't like spending money!:ROFLMAO:. I have had the same strings on my P bass for about 8 years now ( Flatwounds ) still got loads of life left in them:D

Nope nothing wrong with you memory(y). I was using a Westone Thunder bass back then.

The Stingray I have had for about a year now. Its a beautiful bass.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The thing that I have had the longest and use the most is my Letherman Micra Multi tool

I bought mine 24 years ago when visiting Florida and paid about 10 Dollars for it. Still use almost every day.

1717506675981.png

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The thing that I have had the longest and use the most is my Letherman Micra Multi tool

I bought mine 24 years ago when visiting Florida and paid about 10 Dollars for it. Still use almost every day.

View attachment 183451
Well, it does have a nail file on it, so I’m not surprised you use it most days.

#ducks#

😊

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
My first ever bass purchase was a black Thunder 1A from Impact Music in Preston Road, sometime around 1985. The bloke that ran the shop was called Pete. Nice bloke.
Me too! Thunder 1A, but in a cherry colour think it was called sunset red! Can't remember the name of the shop I got it from but pretty sure it was on Church Road near the traffic lights Church Rd / Sackville Rd. This would have been early 80's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here