Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is the greatest debut album of all time ?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Strong arguments for the Stone Roses and Joy Division.
Depending on my mood I would include Madness One Step Beyond, Dire Straits Dire Straights, Hendrix Are you Experienced, and probably my strongest call Led Zeppelin.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
These are all great choices (although I'm less familiar with the Cowboy Junkies one than the others).

I was also going to put forward if you ignore mini albums and go for debut full length then Surfer Rosa may take the prize. Another band around the same time where you can do the same thing and ignore two early mini albums, is My Bloody Valentine with Isn't Anything.

but god, yeah Patti Smith's Horses. Opening with the line "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine" can't really be topped.

Three debut albums not mentioned yet but should be are The Smiths eponymous (forget about what Morrisey later became), Portishead eponymous and Tricky with Maxinquaye.
Horses is a top shout 👏🏼

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I was tempted by this but more in terms of it's historical context (the birth of the biggest and most influential band of all time). And whilst it's a pretty good album and has some very good songs on it, I wouldn't rank it that highly by their standards, maybe like their 7th or 8th best album?
Yes I tend to agree there are some better first albums but none other had such an impact

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
1726941303425.jpeg

1726941364705.jpeg

1726941421039.jpeg

1726941464691.jpeg

Not sure of the order but they wrap up the Champions League places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here