Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is the greatest debut album of all time ?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'll adapt my answer to become a clunky "best debut album released in the formative years of my lifetime" because, really, that's what it's all about (and they're certainly not the best albums of all time). Played them to death at the time.

Therefore

- People by Hothouse Flowers (1988).
- Suede by Suede (1993)
- Is This It by The Strokes (2001)
- Up The Bracket by The Libertines (2002)

stand out, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's many more.

The best albums of all time were rarely debuts (Neil Young, Stevie, Sabbath, Prince et al).

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
In terms of creating a fresh sound, having a ‘banger after banger’ track listing, and standing the test of time, it is hard to look past the Stone Roses.

As a close contender though, and with a slight technicality request: Surfer Rosa by Pixies? Given that Wikipedia et al describe the preceding Come On Pilgrim as a ‘mini album’ and Surfer Rosa as ‘first full-length album’…

As another one that opened my eyes to ‘just where music could go’, the first Jesus & Mary Chain album is another landmark for me. And although it’s not particularly ground-breaking musically, the quality and technique of ‘one take recording’ in The Trinity Sessions by Cowboy Junkies is up there.

Rounding off my top half-dozen, I’d go for She Hangs Brightly by Mazzy Star and Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division.

Those are all personal choices from my ‘time’. I’m sure there are ‘classics’ that are more conventional and universal picks though. Patti Smith Horses for example… Lord this is hard! 🤣

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
As Uncle Spielberg has already mentioned my favourite all-time album, Rattus Norvegicus, I'll offer these two debuts:

OIP (1).jpeg

SOM.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are rather a lot of wonderful debuts....

Edit just saw @KZNSeagull beat me to it. And, @Peteinblack, the missus took me to see them a few years ago in Oxford. Emotional. They are still brilliant live. Shame one of the original guitarists is a dick and won't engage, but the ringer was excellent.

In the original 81/82 Chameleons live DVD you can clearly see my little brother in the audience. Sadly as was the way back then the mosh area was not a good place to be with absolute plums not knowing how to behave, and little bro had to shift. He was 19 then. 60 now. Crikey.

Last edited:

boik

I see Arctic Monkeys and Interpol have already had a well deserved mention.

After that I'd probably choose Silent Alarm by Bloc Party, which doesn't really have a duff track.

Going back, I was going to choose Tago Mago by Can, but technically it's their second album, so maybe Neu! instead.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This band went completely under my radar at the time. This is from their debut. RIP Mark and Marcus

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I will add this one too. In it's time this was just so different and hauntingly beautiful. Many fans don't like this album based upon what they went on to create but, to me, this will always be awesome. The first track:

Track two; Wax and Wane :thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The birth of darkwave. Hard to believe I saw them live 40 years ago.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene has to be in there as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here