Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is the greatest debut album of all time ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Some great albums on here but as expected most have just posted their own favourite (nothing wrong with that) but just to go back to the original question in the thread title word for word I’ll throw this in

View attachment 189194
Just some bloke banging on some shiny pipes, normal day at work for me when I’m bored :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kill ‘Em All was a game changer of a debut. I still remember the WTF feeling I had when I first heard Hit the Lights, a friend had stuck it on the end of a mix-tape he’d made for me.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
At the same time? Fair play obviously I underestimated him, extreme multitasking :smile:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
The Beatles Please Please Me
I was tempted by this but more in terms of it's historical context (the birth of the biggest and most influential band of all time). And whilst it's a pretty good album and has some very good songs on it, I wouldn't rank it that highly by their standards, maybe like their 7th or 8th best album?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I was tempted by this but more in terms of it's historical context (the birth of the biggest and most influential band of all time). And whilst it's a pretty good album and has some very good songs on it, I wouldn't rank it that highly by their standards, maybe like their 7th or 8th best album?
Could be. Still a fabulous thing though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was tempted by this but more in terms of its historical context (the birth of the biggest and most influential band of all time). And whilst it's a pretty good album and has some very good songs on it, I wouldn't rank it that highly by their standards, maybe like their 7th or 8th best album?
Kraftwerk?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
In terms of creating a fresh sound, having a ‘banger after banger’ track listing, and standing the test of time, it is hard to look past the Stone Roses.

As a close contender though, and with a slight technicality request: Surfer Rosa by Pixies? Given that Wikipedia et al describe the preceding Come On Pilgrim as a ‘mini album’ and Surfer Rosa as ‘first full-length album’…

As another one that opened my eyes to ‘just where music could go’, the first Jesus & Mary Chain album is another landmark for me. And although it’s not particularly ground-breaking musically, the quality and technique of ‘one take recording’ in The Trinity Sessions by Cowboy Junkies is up there.

Rounding off my top half-dozen, I’d go for She Hangs Brightly by Mazzy Star and Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division.

Those are all personal choices from my ‘time’. I’m sure there are ‘classics’ that are more conventional and universal picks though. Patti Smith Horses for example… Lord this is hard! 🤣
These are all great choices (although I'm less familiar with the Cowboy Junkies one than the others).

I was also going to put forward if you ignore mini albums and go for debut full length then Surfer Rosa may take the prize. Another band around the same time where you can do the same thing and ignore two early mini albums, is My Bloody Valentine with Isn't Anything.

but god, yeah Patti Smith's Horses. Opening with the line "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine" can't really be topped.

Three debut albums not mentioned yet but should be are The Smiths eponymous (forget about what Morrisey later became), Portishead eponymous and Tricky with Maxinquaye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here