Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What is a false number 9?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
What is it in Man City or Liverpool's case, given both Jota and Foden have played the false-9 this season?

As I have said repeatedly. You can do it successfully if you are Man City (and Liverpool or Barca), but we are NOT them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This also makes no sense as we had our top scorer (who is a striker) on the bench.

So it wasn't due to a lack of striker.

Try harder

He was on the bench, and stayed there. Great performance. Great result. We still haven’t won doing this. Not once, and we have tried about 6 times to do so. Under the genius Potter.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
VVD didn’t really get into the game either he’s good when he sits on a traditional no.9 and the fuss he made when March accidentally kicked him the big sissy.

This, of course, is the other advantage of the false nine system, giving possession to the opponents' central defenders, who are often the least effective users of the ball. Although you can also do it with conventional strikers, by getting them to sit on the full backs and forcing possession towards the centre backs. Sorry, centre halves.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
As I have said repeatedly. You can do it successfully if you are Man City (and Liverpool or Barca), but we are NOT them.

A 2-2 draw after being 2 down is a great success against Liverpool. Believe me I was there and it was great.

Do you think we have to win every game to be a success?

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
I think Graham Potter used the false 9 on Saturday to avoid playing to Liverpool's strength at the core of their defence. Both central defenders are well equipped for a physical battle and good on the ball but not so happy when forced to turn into the space they leave behind by defending so high. With any combination of our midfield players (excluding Lallana) likely to sprint past them onto a ball into space, they both spent a lot of the match facing their own goal. Trossard's goal was a perfect example of neither VVD nor Roberston being able to adjust when the forward then turns back inside the retreating defender and shoots.

We can be confident that a well-rested Neal Maupay will be back next weekend against Newcastle. They have no such defensive solidity and their idea of a high line is leaving the penalty area!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Really!? You might need to change your attitude. This is a forum with differing views. Some you may not agree with. So what?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A 2-2 draw after being 2 down is a great success against Liverpool. Believe me I was there and it was great.

Do you think we have to win every game to be a success?

No, but we have to win at least some of them.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
A false 9 is a number 10

I am old enough to thing big guy (9) and little guy (10 or 8) but both were real strikers. Not false ones, which is just a daft term.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Charming. Reported. Really intelligent insightful post.

inbetweeners-ooo.gif

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A false 9 is a number 10

I think the only reason it's not just called a 10, is because a 10 always implies a 9 is in front of them, a 10 being a forward that is behind another forward. Hence the 'false 9' is effectively a 10 without a player in front of them...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Charming. Reported. Really intelligent insightful post.

As charming as this guy?

Usual nonsense. We are down to two realistic striker options, and one of those is clearly not good enough yet. You do the math you clown [emoji1782]

Brilliant incisive, knowledgeable, sensible response as ever… you absolute clown [emoji1782]…

Don’t be silly. We were clearly talking about strikers. Clown.

Frank come back with zero logic or content shocker.

I thought I was on ignore you ****ing clown [emoji1782]

At least I make sense. Sorry if that bores you Frank. Actually you are a clown [emoji1782] so good ****ing riddance

Here they come... the ‘Chris is God, our club made a mistake sacking him’ brigade of morons... what a major surprise.

The problem, which we can all see, has been with us for season after season, window after window, you clown [emoji1782]

This is utter bollox. Hughton made the decision to change to 4-3-3. It is HIS mistake. Don’t try to rewrite history you cretin.

With all due respect Brick go and love a lamp. The person I responded to got what he/she deserved using the tiresome Bed Wetter phrase. I noticed you didn’t pick up on that you idiot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here