Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What in your opinion constitues an Albion Legend?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was just perusing the Henderson thread and note that some people refer to him as a "legend"

The only players I regard as "legends" for the club were : Peter Ward, Nobby Horton, Bobby Zamora and possibly Dean Wilkins.

These are palyers who one can identify as being Albion through and through or have made an outstanding contribution to the club on the playing side

I would be interested to know why some people regard a player who has played for the club less that 1 year as a legend.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep I agree

I think that legend could also be given to SIR Gary Hart and Kerry Mayo.

Two players who have given outstanding service.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wouldn't disagree with that

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A pretty good list there Desiree...

I would perhaps be a bit more liberal with the word legend, and add the likes of Eric Steele, Steve Foster, Jimmy Case, Sully, Garry Nelson, Sir Norman Gall, Lawro, Gary Stevens, Michael Robinson (and I guess quite a few others too)... all people I have very fond memories of when playing in the stripes.

Last edited:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Dies Irae said:
The only players I regard as "legends" for the club were : Peter Ward, Nobby Horton, Bobby Zamora and possibly Dean Wilkins.

Personally, I'd also say Steve Foster. But maybe that's just me.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Not having supported this club for that many years due to my recent arrival, I like to think the legends are the players whom when mentioned give the old blokes a hazy look in the eyes, like they are off on some other plane admiring passes, goals and flowing football which won games and leagues... Players who stayed seasons apon seasons, through ups and downs and who have turned around in later years and said, yes I like Brighton!! We reward them by calling them legends...

1 season a legend does not make...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Eris Steele ? Jimmy Case ?

I would restrict it to those whose main association with the Club, i.e. Jimmy Case - people think of Liverpool.

So Club stalwards like Sit Norman Gall tick the box for me. And indeed Dean Wilkins.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
53743235.foster001.JPG

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The definition of an Albion legend has to be someone like Gary Hart (as already mentioned).

Dropped many a time and always fights back to regain his place. Never whinges, just gets his head down in training and tries his best. Willing to play anywhere on the field for the cause. Battled back from a nasty injury and always gives 110%

Of course there are many more worthy of a mention, but to me he epitomises a true legend.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd say anyone who had anything to do with saving the club from disappearing entirely during the Dark Days of around 1994-1997. Fans United organisers, protesters, campaigners. Legends all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you are using that argument you have to include kuipers in that list ( which although I like the guy and he did perform wonders for us through the promotion years - forgotten very easily by some people who should know better) After all he was playing extremely well before he was seriously injured and never really regained his place.

Although I do agree harty. mayo and Fozzie should be added to my list

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Dies Irae said:
I was just perusing the Henderson thread and note that some people refer to him as a "legend"

These are palyers who one can identify as being Albion through and through or have made an outstanding contribution to the club on the playing side

I would be interested to know why some people regard a player who has played for the club less that 1 year as a legend.

Excellent list of names. Can I add Chris Catlin to that list, played for us, managed us and still lives in the area.

True legend.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
And what about Peter O'Sullivan.

Was here for years and another true legend.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gordon Smith would join that list for me. Everyone remembers the miss and few remember the deft header that gave us the lead on that memorable afternoon. One of the very few top notch players to play in the stripes.

Ian Mellor for his partnership with Wardie giving me the best ever days of watching the Albion, get there late and you'd generally missed the 1st Albion goal :clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The problem is with all of this and that is the nature of it, and that is you could end up having a list as long as your arm.

Alright then....say you had a hall of fame type thing and you could nominate 1 player to go in it, 1 manager and 1 owner, who would they be?

I would pick

Peter Ward
Alan Mullery
Mike Bamber

Because that was the time, the late 70's early 80's I most enjoyed watching the Albion consistantly week in week out and I dont think anything has come close to that time.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here