Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What famous world 'landmark' actually took your breath away?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That is to say you knew about it in advance, but despite all the hype it delivered in spades and if anything exceeded your expectations.

My top three:

Grand Canyon - as the septics would say, 'awesome'
Taj Mahal - went back three times (sunrise, mid-day, sunset)
The fjords in Norway - made up for how boring/quirky/weird the Norwegians were

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Canadian Niagara Falls, first of all walking behind it, secondly virtually going under it in the 'Maid of the Mist' and then having a very nice meal in the resturant that's right beside it.

The World Trade Centre was pretty amazing too.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
The Pyramids of Giza and the sphynx. I would not say that I was particularly interested before I went. But it turned out to be amazing.

Wailing Wall in Jerusalem and Church of the Holy Sepulchre. I am not a religious person but have to say that it was a surreal experience.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't think I am so well travelled as some of NSC - but I look forward to that feeling. The top of the Eiffel Tower was impressive - as was the Aguile du Midi next to Mont Blanc. As was the World Trade Centre pointed out by bhaexpress. But I don't think they took my breath away. I will have a think.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I should have mentioned walking across the Goldern Gate Bridge too. Sad thing was there was no bus for hours so I had to walk back and it was bloody cold !

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
For me it would have to be the World Trade Center, the Grand Canyon, the Wailing Wall and the Mona Lisa. Does the Mona Lisa count?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good topic:

For me the Eiffel Tower is always an awesome landmark.

The other building that blew me away was the Guggenheim Art Museum in Bilbao - stunning architecture.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Downloaded Penguin said:
For me it would have to be the World Trade Center, the Grand Canyon, the Wailing Wall and the Mona Lisa. Does the Mona Lisa count?

Why not ? Seems fair enough to me.
Of course we take history for granted but I know my step daughter was overwhelmed by the Tower of London and The Houses of Parliment. Mind you we were on a river boat and up until that trip she'd never been on a plane, a train, a ship, a double decker bus and yes, a river boat.

What really mesmerised her though was a graveyard in Arundel. There were graves there that were hundreds of years older than America. She was actually astonished.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Flying over the Grand Canyon at dawn in a helicopter is a wicked experience.

The Pyramids are impressively big.

The Parthenon is grand in a dishevelled way.

Yosemite is beautiful, as is the view from the top of Snowdon.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
The World trade center site blew my face because of the sheer size of it, the thought of those huge buildings coming down shocked me all over again. The Statue of Liberty is quite something too

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The summit of the Matterhorn for me.

Closely followed by Ephesus - I just couldn't believe how big it was.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I certainly wasn't suggesting it had to be abroad. I've never been to the Scottish Highlands, I'm guessing they would have a similar effect.

D

Deleted User X18H

My helicopter trip below the rim of the Grand Canyon two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Standing on the Great Wall of China on a crystal blue day and being able to look for hundreds of miles in all directions. It was truely awe inspiring and humbling at the same time. Not only did the view take your breath away, but the -15c temperatures did aswell! Got my BHAFC wooly hat in my hands, whipped it off quick for the photo.

Hope we're still allowed to post images.

Grizz

Last edited:

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Pompei, in the open air theatre looking over the top to Vesuvius looming large behind and wondering how so many people got caught out so quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here