Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you reckon Plan B is?

Plan A is - there is no plan B.

Falmer is controversial. Any alternative will surely be even more controversial (if not to nimbies, to us and the club)

It WILL get the go-ahead because there is no Plan B. Despite it not being a brown-field site it will get the nod because the government looks favourably at sports developments.

Last edited:

dave the gaffer said:
Are you people seriously telling me that a football league club that employs somewhere near 100 people, has the support of many thousands has no plan B

yes,
because that completely justifies Plan A.

You can't provide a public enquiry with a whole set of alternatives.

The proposal to the Dep PM is that Falmer is the right place and the question of potential alternatives has been exhausitively examined and found wanting (which is how the City Council have agreed to the scheme).

If we had a Plan B we would have had to reveal it at the Public Enquiry, and then go through all the impact assessment stuff again, and in effect be back to where we were (planning-wise) in 1998

the whole reason for having to have a PE is to examine the need for Plan A (Falmer). That case is strengthened by the fact that NO-ONE (the Council, the FA, the League, the Club, other agencies that are affected) can identify a second suitable site that will satisfy all of them.

Then we have the democratic argument that the city voters have overwhelmingly supported the clubs proposal for Falmer (through the referendum, letters of support to the councillors, MPs and Prescott) and that the process of the public enquiry (assuming the final report is favourable)

Re: What do you recon Plan B is?

dave the gaffer said:
There must be a plan B.

If the Secretary of State says NO to the development at Falmer, which there is a 50/50 chance he will...

:lolol:

Come on Dave, you're getting into FG territory there. After all the hard work put in and the thorough case presented by our Falmer team, to say there is only a 50/50 chance of the SoS saying yes is insulting both to the intelligence of those leading the Falmer campaign and Prescott (although admittedly his intelligence is clearly limited.)

Also, if the club had mentioned a 'Plan B' at any point of the campaign it would have given the NIMBYs an acre of ammunition against us (although they'd have had a good crack at saying "the club knows there are other sites" as innefectively as possible, I'm sure.)

Yes, there really is no Plan B.

xx

Bozza said:
1. We have a far greater chance than 50/50 with Falmer.

2. I don't think there is any such '8 mile rule'.

Part of the league's requirement for our playing at Withdean is that we relocate within 8 miles from the centre of Brighton (or is it the Palace Pier, not sure). This was agreed as part of the return from Gillingnam

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Buy a nuclear warhead from some third rate ex-Soviet republic, aim it at all the world leaders and threaten the destruction of the whole world unless $1000,000,000 has been depositied in a Swiss bank account.

Hang on that's the wrong plan B. Sorry DK you'll have to think of another to take over the world. Me and my big mouth.

:nono:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Storer68 said:
Part of the league's requirement for our playing at Withdean is that we relocate within 8 miles from the centre of Brighton (or is it the Palace Pier, not sure). This was agreed as part of the return from Gillingnam

Indeed, but I believe this is all past tense, ie:

"Part of the league's requirement for our playing at Withdean was that we relocate within 8 miles from the centre of Brighton (or is it the Palace Pier, not sure). This was agreed as part of the return from Gillingnam "

I'm not sure it is relevant now - we did return to Brighton. (I think the reference point was The Royal Pavillion)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Storer68 said:

Although you are right in what you say, the '8 mile rule' has effectively been blown out of the water by the actions of the MK Dons. If the Albion had to move to, say, 12 miles away from the centre of Brighton there is now a precedent set of a much more distant move. The league would not be able to (reasonably) refuse it.

"Sighs"...

Waterhall is the wrong side of the by-pass which the Council has agreed with the Government to be northern limit of development of B&H. And when the South Downs National Park comes into being then there will be even less chance of getting development approved for it.

Added to which, improving the public transport links (ie the Railway) line to the necessary standard would be prohibitiveley expensive. You'd have to lay a brand new railway track to the site, as otherwise Patcham tunnel precludes a halt/station on the main-line

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Spiros said:
Although you are right in what you say, the '8 mile rule' has effectively been blown out of the water by the actions of the MK Dons. If the Albion had to move to, say, 12 miles away from the centre of Brighton there is now a precedent set of a much more distant move. The league would not be able to (reasonably) refuse it.

I was thinking that as well.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
I suspect that Dick Knight has a plan B...........If Falmer gets turned down he will resign !:eek: saying he has taken the Club as far as he can.

That will please all the DK out campaigners on here !!

I am fully confident that Plan B will not be required. If there was another site that was easier to get through the planning process then we would have chosen it in the first place.

I have yet to a single thing from the Nimby's that would have unsettled our case at the enquiry. Whilst you cannot be 100 per cent sure of an outcome, on the evidence presented to the enquiry us not getting Falmer would be the surprise verdict.

We have made our case excellently and where possible have bent over backwards to accommodate the concerns of our opponents. Prescott only has to look at the KC stadium in his own constituency to see the benefits this sort of project can bring to a community. He will give us the go-ahead.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
look

ust because I think there should be a plan B, does not mean that I dont think the sun shinesa out of dick knights arse, because I do.

I just think it is the height of folly to assume that they have not got a plan B

It is 50/50!!!! He may look at it and say, " Its on the South Downs Nimby bunny loving, sheep shagging, badger buggering territory and we need their votes as we are shit at the moment as caplin is getting slated every week in the argus for being too far up Tony's bum" and therefore say No. There again he may say we are all right Jack and they can build it!

I hope the latter, but lets not bury our head in the sand like some head in the sand burying thing and assume all is fine and dandy.

PS Who was you favourite Spice Girl? I recon Baby Spice

Spiros said:

Ahh.... but they don' take the decision . The decision to allow Wimbledon to move to MK was taken by the independent panel appointed by the FA. All the Lague have done is allow them to play at the Hockey Stadium - its exactly the same decision as we have to play at Withdean.

Statement from the Football League 03.04.03

Wimbledon given approval for tempoary stadium in Milton Keynes

The board of the Football League has given conditional approval to Wimbledon FC's application to move tempoarily to Milton Keynes Hockey Stadium whilst the club awaits the development of its permanent stadium at Denbigh.

The Board's approval is time limited and is conditional on the club moving to its new stadium, or securing other satisfactory long term arrangements, by June 2007.

Football League chairman, Sir Brian Mawhinney, said: "In taking this decision, it was the not the job of the League Board to rule on whether the club should or should not be allowed to Milton Keynes. That decision has already been made previoulsy by an Independent Commission appointed by the Football Association. Under this ruling the Board regarded Milton Keynes as the club's conurbation.

"The Board's task was to decide if the club's applciation to move to a tempoary stadium was consistent with teh policies it had previously implemented when assessing similar applications by otehr clubs in the past.

"Having considered Wimbledon's application in great detail, the Board felt it was able to grant permission subject to a number of conditions relating to the club securing its long term future in Milton Keynes, all of which the club has accepted."

Well as Perry has said when asked the direct question

Q Is there a Plan B
A - No

and what is the point of havinga plan B. if Plan A doesn't come off we can''t afford to go through the process again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
how do you know we cant afford to go through the process.

Dont be so fecking negative.

If we have gone into this without a backup, my name is Susan

"listen to the old man speak, of all he has lived through...I have crossed between the Poles, and for me there is no mystery"

Storer, you going to see gabriel???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pende is still valid, despite the airport expansion plans.

Waterhall, by my analysis is not a goer. See:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/BMLSS/Pende2.htm

The odds of Falmer going through have got to be be about 75%.

I think it will come a cropper.

The land ownership of Pende has changed and it is not such a good prospect as before.

However, the basic facts still remain, i.e.

1) it is a large site four times the size of the Arsenal plan, twice as big as the land Manchester United have available

2) the transport links could be easily made better than any football club location in Britain

3) it could probably work out cheaper than easier than Falmer

4) it has enough potential to compete with clubs like Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, not as a poor competitor to Southampton, Bolton, and Derby which Falmer does not attain to.

The serious buying in price is less than the money got from selling Bobby Zamaro.

If we could sell Danny Cullip and raise the readies to make Pende a feasible alternative, I would support such a move.

Even this would not be necessary. It could be done without the Albion laying out a single penny. The only thing necessary would the Albion to agree taking on the lease of the stadia (the plan involves a reserve/athletics ground as well) and get a developer to pay all the cost and lease the stadium to the Albion with the option to buy.

Even the builders and bankers on the Albion Board would not be out of pocket, as there would be enough work to keep them occupied.

Would the locals object? Probably not. The plan gives them lots of advantages over what is planned at the moment and they may actively support this better alternative.

Would the current landowners lose out.? No, probably not. They stand to be winners as well. At the moment they are making their money allowing dumping of building spoil with a tax exemption. The tax exemption also applies to football stadia as well as useless golf courses.

Would the conservationalists lose out. No, they would be winners as well. The plan involves a conservation area, necessary to filter of the drainage, like Brooklands Boating Lake in Worthing. That is what they did to this area, filter the water into the lake and reclaim the surrounding land.

Would Brighton & Hove Council lose out. Yes, that's why they want Falmer. They want the glory and the prestige under their control.

If they (Brighton Councillors) had not made such a pig's ear of it with the aid of the South Downs Conservation Board, Village Way South could have been landscaped into a fine community stadium area. Not as good as Pende, but good enough.

Last edited:

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
He may look at it and say, " Its on the South Downs Nimby bunny loving, sheep shagging, badger buggering territory and we need their votes as we are shit at the moment as caplin is getting slated every week in the argus for being too far up Tony's bum" and therefore say No.

Hey Susan,

How is refusing it gonna help Caplin get votes?? Surely it's the other way round.... I know I deffo won't be voting for that slimey turd if Prescott says no.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
yes it was the other way round( london Pride speaking)

Susan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here