Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what do you LOVE and HATE about brighton & hove?

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
It wasn't that bad.

Thirty years ago, North Laine was a great place for the discerning punk to buy second-hand clobber. It also had a supermarket (now the Komedia) that happily sold booze to 16 and 17 year olds (as I found out to my delight). And, as you say, the record shops were great.

Completely agree, but don't forget the Mods!!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm sorry, but those of you complaining about the expense of EVERYTHING haven't got a clue. Eating out, clothes and entertainment are all available more cheaply than in most cities. Traffic congestion is rarely a problem either if you pick your route carefully.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm sorry, but those of you complaining about the expense of EVERYTHING haven't got a clue. Eating out, clothes and entertainment are all available more cheaply than in most cities. Traffic congestion is rarely a problem either if you pick your route carefully.

I will concede to that I suppose, there are cheaper options out there. However the things that really drain your money ie House prices, rental prices and fees, parking, council tax, drinking (okay, not essential but fun!) are pretty expensive in BN areas.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In some ways I'd love Brighton to be more like Derby. Up here they have a stronger identity and appear to know where they are, if that makes sense? Derby, like Brighton, has its down sides, but it is not at all arrogant and self-praising. I suppose Derby's industrial revolution has influenced it's evolution.

Brighton is currently struggling with itself, wanting to appease everybody. Your description of the North Laine back in the 80s is interesting. Have you ever lived outside of the town?

I haven't. I am happy to say I'm proud of coming from here, so will defend the aspects of the place I think are defensible. There are also parts of Brighton I can't stand and need ripping down and starting again.

I just recall the North Laine, with the possible exception of Kensington Gardens, as replete with white-washed windows, graffiti, lifelessness - in a bit of a vacuum, if you like. Sure there were some shops around, but I don't recall it as a meeting place or a place of vibrancy.

In a way, I don't have a problem with Brighton becoming a bit Londonised and a bit of a mongrel city. 20 years ago, Brighton - the North Laine particularly - needed 'something'. It was dying on its arse and not particularly interesting.

Nowadays, where you see arrogance, I see a certain amount of confidence. Where you see self-praising, I see a sense of quiet satisfaction - especially taking into consideration how it was. Right now, Brighton might not have the history of Derby, or the solidity and stability of its populace, but I suspect it might in 30 or 40 years time.

stan miguell

Oct 31, 2007
wot i love about brighton is that my fisrt sexuel conquests were there. i first did anal wiv a right dirty slapper in a flat next to tussauds on the seafront.

i also did my first 3sum wiv a tom in a flat near palmeara square. didn't intend to but me and my mate didn't have enuff for a jump on her seperetly so we doubld up. fortunatly i got the mouth end. wonder if she's still on the game. she wuld be late 60s or in her 70s now. enormus tits and a saggy arse wiv a fanny like a huge rubber glove. bernadet the name was. her that is and not the glove. ring any bells anyone?

happy days.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I hate the Crusties and Hippies with their stupid dreadlocks that make up the lanes. Scum the lot of them.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Love: Pompokos, music, food, pubs and shops open after 3am, colourful houses, mad beautiful losers, Albion

Hate: Lack of indie, endless pretentious idiots, no-one in their 20s appearing to have any soul or personality whatsoever

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
although, if it hadn't been for the activities of such organisations in the 1970s, even MORE of Brighton could easily have ended up like this........

00487.jpg
:US::US:

churchill_square_1960s.jpg
:eek:

I know where you're coming from but The Regency Society oppose everything on principle. Fair enough mistakes have been made in the past but that does not mean we/they should automatically dismiss everything from now on. Every major city in England has had some stunning new architecture which has improved their environment. We drag our heels and/or oppose everything. We are running the risk of a) being left behind and b) becoming a city no-one wants to do business with or invest in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ahhhh, childhood!!!

To be honest, those pictures actually look better than the taccy plastic mall unimaginative chain store 'shopping experience' monstrosity which is now Churchill Square.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We will soon be sitting in the finest looking building to be built in Brighton & Hove since the war.
I really believe that, not just because it is our new home.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Love.
The Albion, the seafront, the pubs.

Dislike.
A lot of the people, especially some I've never met who talk utter shite from their keyboard.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
wot i love about brighton is that my fisrt sexuel conquests were there. i first did anal wiv a right dirty slapper in a flat next to tussauds on the seafront.

i also did my first 3sum wiv a tom in a flat near palmeara square. didn't intend to but me and my mate didn't have enuff for a jump on her seperetly so we doubld up. fortunatly i got the mouth end. wonder if she's still on the game. she wuld be late 60s or in her 70s now. enormus tits and a saggy arse wiv a fanny like a huge rubber glove. bernadet the name was. her that is and not the glove. ring any bells anyone?

happy days.

Are you for real?

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Hate: Lack of indie, endless pretentious idiots, no-one in their 20s appearing to have any soul or personality whatsoever

Totally agreed for my main Brighton hate, though you missed out the words "from London" after "endless pretentious idiots."

Main loves - the seafront, the pubs, Resident and Rounder Records, and of course, the Albion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One other thing I like about Brighton which sets it apart from a lot of other cities is that it does not have huge dual carriage ways running through its centre and carving it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here