Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what do you LOVE and HATE about brighton & hove?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Love : Supporting a local cricket team that actually wins things :yahoo:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Apart from some of the afore-mentioned

LOVE
• The bits of Brighton that make it what it is - I never tire of going for a walk through the city.
• Its history
• The hidden gems - alleys, twittens and buildings all with their own histories, with secrets to keep and stories to tell
• The proximity to the South Downs AND the sea
• The starling show (sadly diminished but still spectacular)
• Its a better place to live than to visit - you don’t get all of Brighton in one weekend
• The independent shops

HATE
• The bits that make it look like so many other towns and cities
• The traffic in summer

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The list for love is too long.

But what I HATE

***** who park in residents bays out of hrs. They should be for residents only 24-7.

Piss poor wages

Pride (we are the most gay friendly city its not needed anymore)

Tarquin and all the posh ***** who are not true Brightonians taking over the city. Visit but dont stay. If I see another Starbucks or Costa or whatever open up I think I may burn it down.

Oct 25, 2003
LOVE
-the sea (i don't even use the beach that often, i just find the sea a calming influence, and when i'm somewhere without sea i just feel a bit odd)

-cricket in the summer

-the albion obviously (this will be higher up my list of LOVES once falmer comes around)

-good PUBS (i'm not convinced that brighton has that many good clubs, but i do think it has some cracking little BOOZERS)

-the WOMEN (i'm probably deluded, but they all just seem to be BETTER in brighton than elsewhere in the uk)

-the fact that for a city it's size it's done quite a lot (how many towns/cities our size have had films & tv programmes set in them? how many towns/cities our size attract tourists from all over the place? NOT MANY is the answer)

HATES
-the fact that nothing (falmer aside) get's built. I can think of: "king alfred towers"; "brighton indoor arena"; the towers at the marina and the i360 that have all been in the pipeline recently, and yet none of them are there. I understand the i360 is under construction however

-lack of decent stuff on hove seafront (i quite often walk into brighton along the seafront, and there's f*** all (apart from maroccos) on hove seafront

-london road

-general high prices & reletively low wages

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
HATE

Western Road
Churchill Square
North Road
London Road
Traffic
Litter
Kings Road
The renaming of the Palace Pier
Lack of decent sports facilities
Tatty Modern Buildings
Hove Town Hall
Odeon/Oceana
New England House
Anson House
The West Pier Hilton (or whatever it is called)
Madeira Drive Development
The Marina (Car park/Asda)
SaveHove

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
-lack of decent stuff on hove seafront (i quite often walk into brighton along the seafront, and there's f*** all (apart from maroccos) on hove seafront

I actually quite like the fact there's 'nothing' on Hove seafront.

Apart from some open spaces, and stunning architecture along the front and in the Regency squares which I think might be taken for granted by some. I can't think of too many seafronts in the UK with buildings of such grandeur.

Oh hang on, yes I can. In Brighton.

Oct 25, 2003
I actually quite like the fact there's 'nothing' on Hove seafront.

Apart from some open spaces, and stunning architecture along the front and in the Regency squares which I think might be taken for granted by some. I can't think of too many seafronts in the UK with buildings of such grandeur.

Oh hang on, yes I can. In Brighton.

you are right with the regency architecture, but i was thinking more around the king alfred and a bit further west

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Love:

That it is easy to find well cared for parks and greenery within strolling distance of most areas ie : St Annes well, queens Park.

Rediscovering how much I like Brighton when friends and family visit and you show them places that you pass every day without much thought but they are fascinated by

South Downs

Strolling in Summer at the beach

strolling through parks and laine/lanes in winter

Abundance of friendly pubs

and many of the things mentioned before

Dislike:

Traffic/parking
The image the council like to portray of Brighton compared to the reality
Multiple occupation housing
First Year Students
the amount we pay in council tax in relation to what the council actually do for us
The cost of EVERYTHING
lack of Sport facilities

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
A truly, truly unique town. Good and terrible, which are..

Good.

The Mid-Section, as I call it. The walkway between the Palace Pier and playground end.
Brighton accent. As mentioned earlier. Love the Cornish twang in it!
Bus company. The best in the land.
The size of the 'city'. Of course it is really a town!
My family are there.
Churchill Square.
Seagulls. Living in Derby, I miss the sounds of these birds- pure childhood!!!
Kemptown, Brighton's finest urban area.
The sea. Beats Skegness for seaside layout!
The liberal feel of the place.
The great location Brighton sits in. The Downs to the North, easy distance to Gatwick and London. French link to the East. Beautiful Shoreham to the West.
The apparent lack of ghettos that blight so many English conurbations, although, sadly, thanks to the social group in my Terrible section, this is changing.

Terrible

North Laine/Hanover. Oh how I dislike the way the town has gone. Compare the Brighton of today to 25 years ago. Back then it was wholly unfashionable and untouched by the Londoner. Now, it has been utterly gentrified and the North Laine especially is the 'annoying' middle-class' playground. Only accessible to the elite. Yuck.
The pretentious feel. Although this is a by-product of the above.
The property prices. As above..
This 'City' bollocks. Do you see where this is going!!?
Juice 107. Er North Laine FM!!
The constant closure of the towncentre in order to stage f***ing marathons/bikerides/ North Laine tea parties..

On the whole, Brighton and Hove is a great place. There is nowhere else like it in the UK. Like all towns, it has its good and bad points. I feel it tries a bit too hard sometimes.

Brighton is like an annoying teenager that thinks its an adult and knows everything. It is London's younger brother! It is my 'Town'.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have friends who lived in Brighton for ten maybe twelve years and then moved either back to their hometowns or to more sub-urban areas and all of them have said that while they enjoyed brighton when they were livin here and got caught up in the town thinking they could not live anywhere else they all say once they had settled in a new place they looked at Brighton as a bit of an extended holiday and never truly felt settled, they look back with fondness but feel they have moved on with their lives since leaving.

I have to be honest and admit that after 12 years of living in Brighton I sometimes think this way and think about moving on elsewhere. I wasn't born here so that contributes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The West Pier - the remains sticking out like a sore thumb, the fact that it got to that point, and the apathy about just either pulling it down and out of the sea or saving the bloody thing.

I like the remains of the West Pier. They look dashing at sunset and sunrise. An exquisite example of Victorian architecture and the sea would look naked without them.

Something must be done about traffic levels. The Old Steine would be much more pleasant if it were not surrounded by cars chuntering out fumes 24/7, particularly in the summer. Not forgetting to mention the usual gridlock on the seafront.

There are not enough pedestrianised zones with outdoor eating.

100% agree with this. And a big single digit to The Regency Society.

although, if it hadn't been for the activities of such organisations in the 1970s, even MORE of Brighton could easily have ended up like this........

00487.jpg
:US::US:

churchill_square_1960s.jpg
:eek:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Those pics really are hideous aren't they.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
North Laine/Hanover. Oh how I dislike the way the town has gone. Compare the Brighton of today to 25 years ago. Back then it was wholly unfashionable and untouched by the Londoner. Now, it has been utterly gentrified and the North Laine especially is the ‘annoying’ middle-class’ playground. Only accessible to the elite. Yuck.

Each to their own and all that, but can't say I agree. :shrug:

25 years ago, the North Laine area was an untouchable SHITHOLE, with one redeeming feature - the number of second-hand vinyl record shops. Having a ‘middle-class playground’ (with some excellent pubs, independent shops and lively bustle from pretty much all of society’s class structure) is surely a far better alternative to the monotonous layout of the High Street.

I'm sorry to say that the ‘gentrification’ (whatever that is supposed to mean) has passed me by, but luckily the quirkiness hasn’t. 'Accessible to the elite' - which 'elite'? Personally, I actually rather like it.

I mean, would you like Brighton to be like, say, Derby?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Love = Uncle sams

Hate = Skanky dog owners who let the dogs shit in the parks and do not pick it up,after said shit....the shit that is, not the dog.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

25 years ago, the North Laine area was an untouchable SHITHOLE, with one redeeming feature - the number of second-hand vinyl record shops. Having a ‘middle-class playground’ (with some excellent pubs, independent shops and lively bustle from pretty much all of society’s class structure) is surely a far better alternative to the monotonous layout of the High Street.

It wasn't that bad.

Thirty years ago, North Laine was a great place for the discerning punk to buy second-hand clobber. It also had a supermarket (now the Komedia) that happily sold booze to 16 and 17 year olds (as I found out to my delight). And, as you say, the record shops were great.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton

I'm sorry to say that the ‘gentrification’ (whatever that is supposed to mean) has passed me by, but luckily the quirkiness hasn’t. 'Accessible to the elite' - which 'elite'? Personally, I actually rather like it.

I mean, would you like Brighton to be like, say, Derby?

In some ways I'd love Brighton to be more like Derby. Up here they have a stronger identity and appear to know where they are, if that makes sense? Derby, like Brighton, has its down sides, but it is not at all arrogant and self-praising. I suppose Derby's industrial revolution has influenced it's evolution.

Brighton is currently struggling with itself, wanting to appease everybody. Your description of the North Laine back in the 80s is interesting. Have you ever lived outside of the town?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here