Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you dislike most about Brighton?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I know it is a bit NIMBY, and tourism/retail seem to be our only industries, but it gets my goat when in the summer, Madeira Drive is closed a majority of weekends, and stag/hen do's turn the town centre into a total toilet. The traffic totally nauses it up also, and us locals have trouble getting about :nono: Where are all these people in the winter ???

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The smell of Western Road and the general grubbiness. And that I don't live there anymore.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Top 3 for me:

1. Property prices/rent
2. Parking
3. English tourists

Just out of curiosity and no offence intended, but who were you before changing your username to mustafa? I certainly don't remember a mustafa from 2003 :smile: If you're incognito these days, no problem.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Having lived in Worthing for most of my life I can't really find anything about Brighton to dislike.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Hilly, away from the seafront

Lack of competition for the local bus company (to be fair they run a decent service but we pay for it!)

I used to live and work in Brighton and Hove using the buses every week. The price of a bus journey in the city seems to have jumped a lot quicker than inflation since I moved away. I embarrassed my other half when I had £3 ready to pay for our trip into the city centre. I was left scrambling around in my pockets and her purse for enough for the journey.

It wasn't that long ago that you feared getting turfed off because you only had a Five pound note to pay the fare and the driver wouldn't accept it as he didn't have enough change.

The only thing I can think of the comes close to that speed of price increase is the cinema.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The sea. Not its presence but the fact that the visibility is so poor and it's rough too often. There are dozens of decent wrecks off the coast of sussex but it's either too rough to go out, the vis is shite or there's a plankton bloom or some such.
If it were as clear as the waters round the eastern med or Red Sea it would be perfect.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
@%1;
Indeed. They tend to be people who've never lived anywhere else. Brighton is cool, it's basically a decent town, one of the best in the area. But a lot of its residents seem to think it's some kind of bustling melting pot of a multi-cultural metropolis. It isn't. And parts of it are awful, although it's better than it used to be.

Oh definitely this and blokes who wear triilbys and women who wear leggings that are orange and black hooped and silly boots with no laces and.............
Basically people who spend 2 hours getting ready just to look different.....**** it Brighton is annoying really.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The systematic deterioration of a wonderful town by successive councils that have had their priorities wrong over many years.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I used to live and work in Brighton and Hove using the buses every week. The price of a bus journey in the city seems to have jumped a lot quicker than inflation since I moved away. I embarrassed my other half when I had £3 ready to pay for our trip into the city centre. I was left scrambling around in my pockets and her purse for enough for the journey.

It wasn't that long ago that you feared getting turfed off because you only had a Five pound note to pay the fare and the driver wouldn't accept it as he didn't have enough change.

The only thing I can think of the comes close to that speed of price increase is the cinema.

You can cycle the length and breadth of Brighton in no time, and while I appreciate that cycling isn't everyone's bag for a multitude of reasons, including mobility, I do look at people wasting their lives standing at bus stops as I wheel past and wonder why some of them don't consider a bicycle, rather than the costly, mind numbing, spirit crushing daily bus commute around town. It's amazing how much shopping you can fit in a small backpack to boot.
:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here