What determines nationality?

What determines nationality?

• Where you were born.

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Where your parents were born.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Where your grandparents were born.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Where you live/ have lived for several years.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Your race (?) / other.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
What do you consider the determining factor of a person's nationalit y (ies)? Say what you honestly think.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
It's SO NSC that more people have viewed my :poll poll, even though it started later! :lolol:

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Globally, there seems to be some support for the "where you were born" argument. Hence those with dual nationality who were simply born when their parents were abroad for some reason.

For the same reason, there must be a linkage with where your parents were born or are resident.

Personally, I think it has, (should have) nothing to do with race.

You left citizenship off the poll. There is an argument that you remain stateless until you earn the right to be a citizen of a nation.
That does take us into some rather contentious areas though.

Then again, there is the Thomas Paine quote.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
binky said:

Then again, there is the Thomas Paine quote.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion."

What does he know? He was a rook!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Bollocks to where you were born, what happens if you were born while you're parents are on holiday or working abroad?

You take your nationality from your parents.

Dandyman

In London village.
fatboy said:
Bollocks to where you were born, what happens if you were born while you're parents are on holiday or working abroad?

You're Botswanian and you know you are ! :D

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Dandyman said:
You're Botswanian and you know you are ! :D

Someone text me in the middle of the night asking if I had ever been to Botswana.

Anything to do with you?

Dandyman

In London village.
fatboy said:
Someone text me in the middle of the night asking if I had ever been to Botswana.

Anything to do with you?

Not guilty. I don't give out mobile numbers to strangers...

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Dandyman said:
Not guilty. I don't give out mobile numbers to strangers...

Sure you didn't text it "by mistake?"

Dandyman

In London village.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
fatboy said:

Babies born in flight on areoplanes (yes, rare I know) can take the nationality of the airspace they were in at the time of birth, or choose the parents nationality.

Grandparents can come into the equation too (since Virgs plays for Jockland I believe)

So I reckon its all of them ?

*stands to be corrected

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where you were born

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
fatboy said:

What about Emilio Marcos Palma? :lolol:

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
fatboy said:

Bollocks to them. They were South African when I was born (and have since naturalised) but I'm not South African.

A real life poser ...

A former work colleague of mine was born in Hungary of Hungarian parents, who fled that country when the Russians invaded in 1956.

The family went to South Africa, where she grew up. She then married an Englishman, who brought her to Britain.

She subsequently divorced him.

Because she had fled Hungary in 1956, she was stripped of her Hungarian nationality. She was never offered South African nationality (and never wanted it). The South Africans accepted her as a Hungarian (because they didn't like the Russians). When she married the Englishman, she became entitled to a UK passport, but she lost that entitlement when she got divorced.

What nationality is she now? Not British, it would seem, But where should the UK authorities deport her to, since she has no entitlement to stay here?

Does it make any difference that, since her divorce, she has met an Englishman and they have had a child, but they haven't married? What nationality is she now? And what is the nationality of her child?

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
The nationality of your father and the country in which you were born.
Me, Dutch father, born in Holland = 100% Cloggy.
My two sisters, Dutch father, born in England = duel nationality.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Mum English by the way, but that is not a factor. Unless looking for citizenship, work permit, passport etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here