What determines nationality?

What determines nationality?

• Where you were born.

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Where your parents were born.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Where your grandparents were born.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Where you live/ have lived for several years.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Your race (?) / other.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lord Bracknell said:
A real life poser ...

A former work colleague of mine was born in Hungary of Hungarian parents, who fled that country when the Russians invaded in 1956.

The family went to South Africa, where she grew up. She then married an Englishman, who brought her to Britain.

She subsequently divorced him.

Because she had fled Hungary in 1956, she was stripped of her Hungarian nationality. She was never offered South African nationality (and never wanted it). The South Africans accepted her as a Hungarian (because they didn't like the Russians). When she married the Englishman, she became entitled to a UK passport, but she lost that entitlement when she got divorced.

What nationality is she now? Not British, it would seem, But where should the UK authorities deport her to, since she has no entitlement to stay here?

Does it make any difference that, since her divorce, she has met an Englishman and they have had a child, but they haven't married? What nationality is she now? And what is the nationality of her child?

So you can "earn" a British passport but something can happen and you dis-earn it? Bizarre.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If you are with the British forces and have a child in say, Cyprus or Germany, you are still British because the area is deemed 'British territory'.
Cliff Richard (Harry Webb) was born in India.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
You should be proud to take the nationality of your parents.

People that migrate to work or for a better lifestyle, or whatever, (in some cases) should be allowed to apply for citizenship of that country, in which case you would be a (British) citizen, but you should still be of the nationality of your parents.

Dandyman

In London village.
Depends on how confusing you want to make it...

My (paternal) grandmother was born in Krakow in southern Poland, which at the time was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. At the end of WW1 Krakow became part of independent Poland. My grandmother's family meanwhile emigrated to South Africa aroudn 1920, which is where she spend the rest of her life and died in the 1950's.

She was also married to someone who was born in the east end of London to Lithuanian Askenazi parents who then also emigrated to South Africa. He spend most of his life in SA but died in Lewes in the late 1980's

I could go on....

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Nationality is what is says in your passport. The rest is up to you, your attitude and influences in your life. I am an island.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I was born in Paris....but that doesn't make me French. Just happens that my parents where on a 2 year posting at the time !!

I could have been born in any one of the countries my parents were posted to (depending of course when the postings during my dads career would have been) France, Laos, Iran, India, Bangladesh,Indonesia, I'm still British !!!!:clap2:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
fatboy said:
You should be proud to take the nationality of your parents.

Although I have slightly different feelings now, I wouldn't have been proud to be South African in 1981. There could well be kids born to exiled Zimbabweans right now who are thinking much the same.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is a guy who works here who is a Rhodesian....call him a Zimbabwean and you are likely to have a knife stuck in your back.

In fact most Zimbawean's I have met believe that Smith was the best thing that happened to them and the Brits abandoned them.

Dandyman

In London village.
dave the gaffer said:
There is a guy who works here who is a Rhodesian....call him a Zimbabwean and you are likely to have a knife stuck in your back.

In fact most Zimbawean's I have met believe that Smith was the best thing that happened to them and the Brits abandoned them.

My mother was born in Zimbabwe (then Southern Rhodesia) and she thinks Smith is a c**t.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there you go then...goes to prove there are many ingredients to put in a cake mix

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Shropshire Seagull said:
Babies born in flight on areoplanes (yes, rare I know) can take the nationality of the airspace they were in at the time of birth, or choose the parents nationality.

Grandparents can come into the equation too (since Virgs plays for Jockland I believe)

So I reckon its all of them ?

*stands to be corrected

That happened to a guy I went to school with. Born mid flight between England and America. He went with English nationality but when it suited him he always claimed to be an American even though he didn't have an American passport.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
dave the gaffer said:

I know a person born and raised in Rhodesia, to British parents she has lived over here though since the 70's I think (before the place got indepence from Britain). She considers herself 100% British, also due to the fact the area she was brought up in was under British control, I also know a middle aged African lady who considers herself British, as she was brought up in territory still under British control, and moved here before her native area got independance, so know what u mean mate.

Last edited:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Born in Brighton... Lived in Lewes for 20 years and moved to Scotland to hunt down Gordon Smith after the 1983 cup final disaster. :angry:

Stayed up here ever since 22 years.

No longer support England (Peter Ward on the bench... England not qualify... You know the rest...) :nono: :angry: Come on the Scots!! :bounce: :clap2: :flameboun

Married a Scot.. follow Hearts, Celtic (There's only one Adam McVirgo) and Alloa Athletic.. ??? :wave: :banana:

But the other BHAlbas (well most .. including the Glasgow Splitters!!) still insist on following that Englandshire nonsense.

Am I a Scot yet? What do you think Jambo Seagull? :drink: :drunk: :shrug:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Skintagain 1983 said:
Born in Brighton... Lived in Lewes for 20 years and moved to Scotland to hunt down Gordon Smith after the 1983 cup final disaster. :angry:

Stayed up here ever since 22 years.

No longer support England (Peter Ward on the bench... England not qualify... You know the rest...) :nono: :angry: Come on the Scots!! :bounce: :clap2: :flameboun

Married a Scot.. follow Hearts, Celtic (There's only one Adam McVirgo) and Alloa Athletic.. ??? :wave: :banana:

But the other BHAlbas (well most .. including the Glasgow Splitters!!) still insist on following that Englandshire nonsense.

Am I a Scot yet? What do you think Jambo Seagull? :drink: :drunk: :shrug:

You traitor. :jester: Anyway any luck in catching Gordon Smith, or are u still searching?:lolol:

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The printed words in space three on my passport

"Éireannach/IRISH"

That and "Baile Átha Cliath/DUBLIN" in space six, but thats not quite as important...

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Strike said:
Your traitor. :jester: Anyway any luck in catching Gordon Smith, or are u still searching?:lolol:

Traitor is a touch harsh...

It's the Glasgow Splitters that are the traitors... making their own way to away games and all...

Mr Smithmustscore is a pundit with BBC Scotland and successful agent for a lot of players up here.

We never did get round to crowning him Honorary President of BHAlbas though.

That title will now have to go to that other well known Scot, Adam McVirgo.

'mon the Scots. :angel: :angel: :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here