What determines nationality?

What determines nationality?

• Where you were born.

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Where your parents were born.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Where your grandparents were born.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Where you live/ have lived for several years.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Your race (?) / other.

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
shut it paddy

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Voroshilov said:
Nationality is a state of mind more than anything.

That is indeed true. I would more be in the "same nationallity as your parents" camp but there cant possibly be a hard and fast rule that applies to everyone.

There are many many circumstances where one rule cannot possibly (see Lord b's post for proof)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
dave the gaffer said:
shut it paddy

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

If I wasn't still recovering from a two day old hangover that involved ten hours of my life that went completely missing and a 35 mile journey I have absolutely no recollection of, I'd complain of racial stereotyping :p

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Skintagain 1983 said:
Traitor is a touch harsh...

It's the Glasgow Splitters that are the traitors... making their own way to away games and all...

Mr Smithmustscore is a pundit with BBC Scotland and successful agent for a lot of players up here.

We never did get round to crowning him Honorary President of BHAlbas though.

That title will now have to go to that other well known Scot, Adam McVirgo.

'mon the Scots. :angel: :angel: :drink:

Don't worry mate just joking. Must live in a nice bit of Scotland. :drink: Thanks for the info, oh good luck Scotland for the World Cup qualifying.

Yoda

English & European
Lord Bracknell said:
A real life poser ...

A former work colleague of mine was born in Hungary of Hungarian parents, who fled that country when the Russians invaded in 1956.

The family went to South Africa, where she grew up. She then married an Englishman, who brought her to Britain.

She subsequently divorced him.

Because she had fled Hungary in 1956, she was stripped of her Hungarian nationality. She was never offered South African nationality (and never wanted it). The South Africans accepted her as a Hungarian (because they didn't like the Russians). When she married the Englishman, she became entitled to a UK passport, but she lost that entitlement when she got divorced.

What nationality is she now? Not British, it would seem, But where should the UK authorities deport her to, since she has no entitlement to stay here?

Does it make any difference that, since her divorce, she has met an Englishman and they have had a child, but they haven't married? What nationality is she now? And what is the nationality of her child?

My head hurts after reading that. :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here