Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What beer should be on tap at the Amex.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One reason why they could serve Harveys is that Harveys could do their beer 'bright' and deliver and serve it on a Saturday without the need to stand for 36 hours as in most real ales. This could of course happen with any brewer but Harveys is local and logistically it makes most sense.

I expect if you asked Mr. Jenner nicely he would brew a "Stadium Ale" specially - they did briefly do a 2% abv brew a few years back (Dinner Ale I think) so they could resurrect that recipe perhaps.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One reason why they could serve Harveys is that Harveys could do their beer 'bright' and deliver and serve it on a Saturday without the need to stand for 36 hours as in most real ales. This could of course happen with any brewer but Harveys is local and logistically it makes most sense.

Why does being local make it more logical to serve bright beer?

If the barrels go in 36 hours earlier, it doesn't really matter, does it?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Real Ale doesn't make people get aggressive,

if no ones said it already, what bollocks. excessive alcohol and inclination to agro or a streefull situation makes people aggressive. doesnt matter if its ale, lager, wine, sherry or vodka. The fact that most Real Ale drinkers are more civilised is the reason they dont get aggressive (maybe splitting a hair but an important one).

Carslberg isnt a bad lager, i'd like to see something a bit more classy like a budvar but then they'll ramp the price. Becks Vier is a good compormise. then some ales and wheatbeers.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
if no ones said it already, what bollocks. excessive alcohol and inclination to agro or a streefull situation makes people aggressive. doesnt matter if its ale, lager, wine, sherry or vodka. The fact that most Real Ale drinkers are more civilised is the reason they dont get aggressive (maybe splitting a hair but an important one).

Carslberg isnt a bad lager, i'd like to see something a bit more classy like a budvar but then they'll ramp the price. Becks Vier is a good compormise. then some ales and wheatbeers.

I suspect you are generally correct, but there are differences. I used to know a girl who could drink loads of most things and be fine, but one glass of red wine and she would be very aggressive - not exactly pissed, but uncontrolable, every time, and she knew it would happen so learnt to avoid.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Would be suprised if there wasn't at least one ale available on tap in the stadium if the club are serious about trying to get people to drink there. Will probably be the dishwater that is Greene King IPA though!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Controversially I don't dislike it in itself. I know Greene King have an awful track record of what they do to pubs but as a pint, I would still drink it. But when in the east of the country there is always Adnams to drink and I believe they supply Ipswich (again in the hospitality areas).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why does being local make it more logical to serve bright beer?

If the barrels go in 36 hours earlier, it doesn't really matter, does it?

I am sure that you as an expert would appreciate that to set up natural beer some 36 hours before use needs ideal conditions and to not be disturbed etc. Bright beer is cleared in the brewery and can come off the back of a lorry chucked about and then served so there is no problem if somebody kicks the cask or falls over it or whatever. This doesnt make very much difference to the taste or quality of the beer just a process of clearing the beer quicker rather than in the old days of adding finings or other additives to clear it. As Harveys is a few miles away from the ground they could get an idea of expected attendance on a Saturday morning and deliver the required amount accordingly thus avoiding hopefully running out or overstocking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Controversially I don't dislike it in itself. I know Greene King have an awful track record of what they do to pubs but as a pint, I would still drink it. But when in the east of the country there is always Adnams to drink and I believe they supply Ipswich (again in the hospitality areas).

Many years ago catering at Ipswich football ground was run by a company from Newcastle Under Lyme called Stadia Catering and at the time my stocktaking company had the contract to do the stocktaking for Satdia and they used Tolly Cobbold Ales as Mr Cobbold was a director of Ipswich Town. I am sure that they have now moved on as that was during the days when Terry Butcher and Eric Gates played for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here