Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the little things which annoy you about a sport?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Albion fans whining that the opposition corner kick is about an eighth of an inch outside the 'D' or whatever that corner thing is called. Like it fuckin' matters. :rolleyes:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Formula 1 drivers putting on clean sponsors hats at the start of a TV interview.

Yes, we know there's money involved, but couldn't you make it slightly less cynical?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Formula 1 drivers putting on clean sponsors hats at the start of a TV interview.

Yes, we know there's money involved, but couldn't you make it slightly less cynical?

That's a very good point. Same with skiing - the skier finishes, whips off their skiers and sticks them in front of the nearest camera to show off the manufacturer's name. Really bloody annoying.

Oh, and football shirts with more than one sponsor on them. Austrian club shirts look like sandwich boards.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Football would be IMMEASURABLY improved if they miked the referees up like they do in rugby. Yes, you'd have a few awkward moments at the start of the experiment that you'd probably have to cover your kids' ears for, but even the thickest of footballers would soon be embarrassed into behaving like adults if they knew their petulant "oh f*** off ref" and high pitched "that's a f***ing joke, the f***ing wanker" would be heard by 20,000 people.

Although one of the annoying things in Sky's Super League coverage is the amplified shouted counting of the ref at each tackle, combined with the constant "release". Maybe if they just turned it on when he was bollocking someone or asking for guidance from the official watching it on Tv.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Albion fans whining that the opposition corner kick is about an eighth of an inch outside the 'D' or whatever that corner thing is called. Like it fuckin' matters. :rolleyes:

Also, as long as the ball is overhanging the 'D' (don't know to call it either) it's allowed. So most of the time everyone's getting excited about something that isn't even breaking the rules of the game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sport snobs. Those who completely write off another sport for spurious or inaccurate reasons. A sizeable minority of both football and rugby union fans are dismissive of each other's sports. Similarly, quite a number of rugby league fans haven't got a good word to say about the union code.

I don't like it because it can't be any good for our national teams in the long run if these people's kids actually show a talent in a sport that has been unfairly rubbished by their parents.

Cheffy

Jan 12, 2010
Comentators (Collymore and Quinny for starters) that always refer to Liverpool all the time as "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". No other club get's the repeated FOOTBALL CLUB stuck on the end of each mention. "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". "Liverpool FOOTBALL CLUB". Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Commentators who bang on about a player being (or not being) "the last man" in the context of a professional foul. There is nothing whatsoever in the rules about being the last man. Such ignorance simply permeates the myth to less intelligent supporters who lap up Sky's every word, and who can consequently be seen whining on about the unfairness of the decision on internet messageboards, in spite of the fact that they are plainly wrong.

It also winds me up when one of them says "the whole of the ball has to cross the whole of the line". Just in case you thought the ball only had to cross part of the line :facepalm:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And when commentators say "Oh, now this is NOT what we want to see" when either (a) a streaker makes an appearance; or (b) a game descends into a massive fight. Yes, yes it IS what we want to see, so let's have it on the screen please.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also, as long as the ball is overhanging the 'D' (don't know to call it either) it's allowed. So most of the time everyone's getting excited about something that isn't even breaking the rules of the game.

The 'Quadrant' :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
2) People who shout things like "GET IN THE HOLE!" at golf.

Point of order. This is a thread for small things that annoy you. This is an example of a MASSIVE annoying thing.

These idiots, need to be forcibly ejected from the course and grounds, and sent on their way with a sand wedge round the back of the legs. The saddest thing of all, is that its not even solely AMERICANS anymore. Dreadful.

I went to the Ryder Cup at Oakland Hills a few years back (2006?) and whilst it was a fabulous experience, two things really annoyed me on the course:

1. "Get in the HOLE". Morons.

2. Crowds CHEERING a poor shot from the other team. Have some class people.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And when commentators say "Oh, now this is NOT what we want to see" when either (a) a streaker makes an appearance; or (b) a game descends into a massive fight. Yes, yes it IS what we want to see, so let's have it on the screen please.

Yes and No. I agree with the TV rule of not showing the pitch invaders, as it really would encourage others to follow suit.

But "We don't want to see this kind of thing" when there's a BRAWL? Wrong Clive, wrong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes and No. I agree with the TV rule of not showing the pitch invaders, as it really would encourage others to follow suit.

Good point. Even as I write, there are probably hen-houses full of chickens, hatching (hey hey!) dastardly plans to invade pitches next season, following the Blackburn invasion. Sort of like a Far Side cartoon.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And nothing livens up a terrible game more than a good old fashioned fight.

I've just thought of another footballing annoyance. When a player gets a slight (or even imaginary) glancing blow to the face, he then spends the next five minutes delicately touching his hand to his lip, inspecting it forlornly- and dare I say hopefully- for the SLIGHTEST trace of blood, as if this will somehow lend credence to his claim of being the victim of a horrendous assault. Even after a few minutes, when it should be perfectly obvious that it's not bleeding, they still touch and check it, just to make absolutely sure a sudden arterial rupture hasn't put them in a life threatening scenario.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
The old Scottish codger with the squeaky voice that announces the players on the first hole of the British Open golf. I would quite happily run him down with a cornbine harvester.

And then reverse back over him. It's totally uncalled for.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
When football pundits, Jamie Redknapp and Paul Merson in particular, bleat on about such and such a club or player knowing how to win FOOTBALL matches. Oh cheers, Jaime and Paul, I wasn't quite sure what sport I was watching. Thank you SO much for setting me right. Having said that, the idea of someone like Stoke knowing more about winning a rugby match than a football one does tickle me.

The old Scottish codger with the squeaky voice that announces the players on the first hole of the British Open golf. I would quite happily run him down with a cornbine harvester.

And then reverse back over him. It's totally uncalled for.

Ivor Robson. Love him.

On the tee, from Souh Korea, k J Choi.
For his tea, Dog.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here