Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the little things which annoy you about a sport?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Time wasting. That irritates me more than anything. It includes, but is not limited to:

- Taking it to the corner flag in the last few minutes
- Delaying taking a goal kick
- After committing a foul; picking up the ball and walking off with it
- Slow walks off the pitch after being subbed

And in boxing: a boxer taking twenty minutes to get to the ring and then knocking his opponent out in twenty seconds.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I'm glad it's not just me driven to distraction by the innocuous!

Golfers spitting.

Players who only want to celebrate a goal by themselves - what's happened to the good old-fashioned mass bundle?

"Tactical" substitutions in additional time. Add on at least a minute per substitution.

The playing of some appalling Eurotrash song after every point in beach volleyball.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Constant high fives in volleyball.

I share your sentiment but in beach volleyball it seems more than acceptable in some circumstances

images

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
A couple of rugby pet hates.

Refs are strict enough to ensure the throws from the line out are straight yet they completely turn a blind eye when the put-in at the scrum is delivered askew to the hooker. Why?

A restart means the team who has just conceded points kicks the ball back to the the opposition who immediately have attacking possession again.

They tried it the other way around, but minnows got trapped in their own half, often turning over possession in much greater positions for the team that just scored. It was generally worse.

I HATE walls that get set 8-9 metres away and then they encroach another half metre or more before the free kick is taken. BOOK THEM ALL.

Then all the usual, timewasting, diving, royal rumble at corners etc.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Tennis - oh yes the middle class ladies. Is there a bigger collection of muppets anywhere at a sporting event other than Wimbledon?

Football - Waving imaginary cards..when will the fcuking refs start booking players? the FA have just caved in to the influx of Latin players, its like they can't help it, so we'll let everyone get away with it. Sheilding the ball out - no, that's obstruction actually!

Horse racing - do they think the whole bloody country is interested in this crap? Another sport that has its importance blown all out of proportion by the media.

Football - oh yes I forgot - Reading FC. Team, fans, place.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I must admit the old corner flag routine in the last few minutes of a game annoys me BUT when Brighton do this it doesn't bother me in the slightest, therefore I must discount it.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Away goals in European competitions - it's led to too many teams playing cagily at home in the first leg. Not conceding seems to be more important than actually trying to score a goal. GET RID!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Timeouts in ANY sport, that's what training is for.

The fact that horse racing is a "sport" purely based on gambling.

Tennis supporters

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Footballers (or fans) moaning about bookings when they know the rules, but the player did it anyway, but then they moan.... (shirt off goal celebrations, kicking the ball away etc)

It's not a hard booking to avoid is it?

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Rules changes that would be so easy to implement, but doesn't happen, especially around time wasting.

Eg. Don't stop the play for substitutions. Once the board is held up the guy coming off can't deliberately interfere with play or it's a free kick, and the on coming player can't enter the field until the player coming off has left the field. Result, he RUNS off the field rather than walks. Anyone waiting for the substitution before taking a free kick, throw in etc, is booked in line with the usual rules on "time wasting".

Simples.

GYM like this.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Football - the protection for goalkeepers at every opportunity from the ref, annoying. too many freekicks given in the area when a corner/free kick is lofted in when a goalkeeper comes flapping and misses it completely.

The other is players diving and going down after the softest of touches!! GET UP and play on!!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
When footballers have to line up and then shake hands with each other before the game. It's meaningless and pointless.

Just let the two captains shake hands with each other and the officials before the kick off, and then everyone else can do it after the match.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
In Darts, where the players come on with all the razzamatazz, loud music, banners waving, walking on with some young hotty in costume.

Then the hotties disappear and we're just left watching fat darts players for the next half hour.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Football : ball taken to corner,shielding the ball,as per previous poster,it's obstruction.Bloody goal celebrations;choreographed shite.Get back to the middle and get on with it.Man United surrounding the ref,and Fergusons watch and Crystal Palace.

Rugby Union : everything.A game devised for the fat kids who couldn't play football boosted to the ridiculous.

Baseball ; fat men in pyjamas playing rounders.And it has the World Series,and players whose actions have changed the world. Eh?

Cricket : Shane Warne,probably.

Tennis : desperate and dull.Rivals F1 in its inanity.

Darts ; It's a pub game for those who can't see their "parts" without the aid of a mirror.

Swimming ; oh,please!

Spoon

May 31, 2009
Tennis doubles players hiding what they are saying behind a tennis ball... get a grip.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Football would be IMMEASURABLY improved if they miked the referees up like they do in rugby. Yes, you'd have a few awkward moments at the start of the experiment that you'd probably have to cover your kids' ears for, but even the thickest of footballers would soon be embarrassed into behaving like adults if they knew their petulant "oh f*** off ref" and high pitched "that's a f***ing joke, the f***ing wanker" would be heard by 20,000 people.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
1) The fact that players have to go off the pitch then come back on when play has started again after the physio has been on to treat the player.
2) People who shout things like "GET IN THE HOLE!" at golf.
3) Umbrellas at golf. They restrict everyone else's view. I went to Wentworth once when it was raining and spent the whole day attempting to see around umbrellas.
4) Sports people who ignore autograph hunters.
5) John Mccririck.
6) Sportsman with pony tails. I spend my time getting annoyed with their pony tail rather then watching the sport.
7) People at horse racing who act like they know everything about the sport because they won one bet, yet what they are saying is clearly bollocks and they always speak at a volume which some people whould use to shout.
8) When sports pundits give a clearly biased view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here