Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What are the little things which annoy you about a sport?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
We all know it can be the little things which drive us to distraction. So, what really does your head in when watching sport? Something that really shouldn't bother you but does big time.

For me, it's tennis players wiping themselves down with a towel after every point. Greg Rusedski was always the master of this but they all seem to be at it now. It annoys me so much I can barely watch tennis any more.

What really gets your goat?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
For me, it's tennis players wiping themselves down with a towel after every point. Greg Rusedski was always the master of this but they all seem to be at it now. It annoys me so much I can barely watch tennis any more.

I know what you mean but this is the fault of sports psycologists having as bigger role as the coach.

One of my pet hates - Footballers arguing with the referee - its so pointless because no desision, right or wrong, will get overturned. I cannot understand why football referees don't get the same respect from the players that Rugby referees get

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I know what you mean but this is the fault of sports psycologists having as bigger role as the coach.

Interesting point, I've read books by Golf psychologist Bob Rotella, who talks having a trigger action, something physical which you do to put the last shot out of your mind, and focus on the next. I guess it's a manifestation of that.

That, or they get very sweaty hands these days.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Interesting point, I've read books by Golf psychologist Bob Rotella, who talks having a trigger action, something physical which you do to put the last shot out of your mind, and focus on the next. I guess it's a manifestation of that.

That, or they get very sweaty hands these days.

That's exactly it, players a taught to do something that clears the mind of the last shot/point so its forgotton and they can concentrate on the next. Cricketers do it, golfers do it, the fact that tennis players have 25 seconds between points makes it more pronounced, cricketers for example have the time it takes for the bowler to start his run up so it less obvious for the watcher.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Snobs at cricket who dont have any fun. Pro40 and T20 expect mexican waves and all that shit.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
A couple of rugby pet hates.

Refs are strict enough to ensure the throws from the line out are straight yet they completely turn a blind eye when the put-in at the scrum is delivered askew to the hooker. Why?

A restart means the team who has just conceded points kicks the ball back to the the opposition who immediately have attacking possession again.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
similar things in football each drive me nuts....

when a sub comes on and does a catholic cross on his body.

when someone scores or the game finishes and the player looks to sky thanking god.

besides the sillyness of a bearded male archetype "above" - the thought that he had a part in ones goal, coming on, final score is completely nuts.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
STUPID goal celebrations irritate me.

1. Nolans "chicken tonight". Why he wants to make himself look like a prize NOBBER every time he tucks one away is quite beyond me.

2. The ones where they make intricate and completely indistinguishable little signs or signals with their fingers at the camera. How old are you ?

3. The "rocking baby" one. Fine, well done, you've fertilised someone and the result has plopped out recently. Now piss off back to your own half so we can carry on with the game, eh.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Any instance where a shot of a manager/coach is shown whilst a game is actually in progress.

Actually ITV have the best approach, they interview people pitchside whilst a game is going on behind them. Bastards.

1)The stealing of a few yards at throw ins, or in the case of free kicks a few inches when the ref turns his back to the taker towards the wall.
2) Feigning of injuries.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Actually my biggest is injuries on the football field please can't we go back to the good old drop ball situation and the referee deciding when to stop play rather than the stupid system we have today.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We all know it can be the little things which drive us to distraction. So, what really does your head in when watching sport? Something that really shouldn't bother you but does big time.

What really gets your goat?

This, but also the ridiculous habit of selecting 3 balls before a serve and discarding one for the ball boy/girl to collect. How arrogant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here