Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what a lovley country we live in

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
I had a pub in Canterbury a while back and had to ban all military personnel from the Highlanders regiment. Nasty fuckers when they'd had a drink. Alcohol, youth and scotland does'nt mix well!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Skate = civilian name for sailors who were based in Portsmouth (Pompey) Guzz = Plymouth (old callsign). No.2's = red badged uniform (smart working rig).

sorry skate basher is any matlow they where called this usually by shipborne marines (comes from the days of sailing ships (that could be away from their home port for more that 2 years at a time) due lonely sailors shagging skate (the genitals of skate look remarkably similar to a womens ) :facepalm:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Another non story IMO.

Hell, the WIDOW has accepted the apology. Move on for crying out loud.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i had a pub in canterbury a while back and had to ban all military personnel from the highlanders regiment. Nasty fuckers when they'd had a drink. Alcohol, youth and scotland does'nt mix well!

but they have been serving our country so they can do what they want!!!!!

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
sorry skate basher is any matlow they where called this usually by shipborne marines (comes from the days of sailing ships (that could be away from their home port for more that 2 years at a time) due lonely sailors shagging skate (the genitals of skate look remarkably similar to a womens ) :facepalm:
True, but it was mainly in Pompey that we were called Skates, never got referred to as a Skate in any other naval port. Shipbourne Marines (bootknecks) (mean green fighting machines) you gotta love em all :bigwave:

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
but they have been serving our country so they can do what they want!!!!!

i thought they just wanted to do what anybody else could do ie GO GET A CUP OF COFFEE
oh no i mentioned coffee thats another ten pages on how they asked for a cup of coffee:lol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have been in various establishments that have not allowed anyone in uniform in, both in the UK and here. The soldiers concerned have never complained so I have always just assumed that it is standard practice and that soldiers themselves know about it.

Why was this even reported, let alone a facebook witch hunt started over it? Seems like an embarrassing misunderstanding for which an apology has been issued and accepted. Non story. One could even say that it is a storm in a tea cup.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
i thought they just wanted to do what anybody else could do ie GO GET A CUP OF COFFEE
oh no i mentioned coffee thats another ten pages on how they asked for a cup of coffee:lol:

True - did they just ask for coffee or did they want a latte? was one of them after a flat white even though he didn't really know the difference? Does ordering a skinny frappucino in uniform constitute a disciplinary offence?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
KZNSeagull..We were in SA in 74 and we destroyed several bars in CapeTown for refusing to serve a black guy on our ship, and I mean destroyed..... ship was actually asked to leave the country in the end following him being photographed on a whites only beach with his arm draped around two blondes haha.....we had engine problems leaving and limped around to Simonstown and spent the rest of the week not allowed ashore.

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
if the pub had no idea it was due to a funeral, why didnt they say so as they were being kicked out.

surely that would have resolved everything.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seems rather unfair to hang the pub owner out to dry on this matter.

Amazed that the funeral did not come up in conversation at the time.

I probably would have forgotten about it after the funeral and certainly not run off to a red top with the story.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
KZNSeagull..We were in SA in 74 and we destroyed several bars in CapeTown for refusing to serve a black guy on our ship, and I mean destroyed..... ship was actually asked to leave the country in the end following him being photographed on a whites only beach with his arm draped around two blondes haha.....we had engine problems leaving and limped around to Simonstown and spent the rest of the week not allowed ashore.
Bloody locals, no sense of humour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here