Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what a lovley country we live in

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Can i point out the MOD policy is for Uniform staff not to enter Licensed establishments in uniform, infact im sure its in the licencing act

Armed Forces Dress Policy
Policy and Appearance
P.3809 Wearing of Uniform in Public
e. Occasions on which Uniform is Not to be Worn.
(2) Visits to licensed premises (including when not consuming alcohol).
can you point out to me exactly how MOD policy relates to the licensee banning uniformed solduiers ??are you trying to tell me the licensee bans uniformed soldiers out of concern for their wellbeing , in case they get put on a charge if caught inside his establishment ?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Can i point out the MOD policy is for Uniform staff not to enter Licensed establishments in uniform, infact im sure its in the licencing act

Armed Forces Dress Policy
Policy and Appearance
P.3809 Wearing of Uniform in Public
e. Occasions on which Uniform is Not to be Worn.
(2) Visits to licensed premises (including when not consuming alcohol).

You have the potential to be a Leading Regulator (L/REG).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can't stand the 'THEY SERVE OUR COUNTRY SO THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT' crowd.

Spot on. A LOT of people don't agree with the wars, they can't assume everyone goes along with it.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
can you point out to me exactly how MOD policy relates to the licensee banning uniformed solduiers ??are you trying to tell me the licensee bans uniformed soldiers out of concern for their wellbeing , in case they get put on a charge if caught inside his establishment ?

Its two different sides to the story:

1. The licencee has the right to ban entry of anyone into the establishment. Why ban people in uniform? Well that is either to prevent disorder, protect his premises etc...

2. by the letter of QRs they should not have entered the premises. Now we have all done this on Remembrance Day etc...and many turn a blind eye to it but rules are rules.

For the record i could not give two flying hoots if someone banned me from entering thier pub because i wore uniform and i know pretty much everyone i serve with would be in agreement for one reason...Who cares? there are far greater things to worry about. I dont like all these 'look at us, we are military and have been seen off' storys. It does no good for our rep, we should be humble and respectful and not run to the papers every time someone exercise their legal right.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
:fishing:

Not fishing.Maybe a little tounge in cheek. I did realise it was slang although I do wonder what it means.

In the States... some poor woman was so confused by us talking to each other in a bar, she actually asked us if we were French haha It can be like another language.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
its in coventry you prick, there are no bases there, and the FAMILY who weren't banned have accepted an apology, probably the last thing they want to be bothered with now, but the squaddies who were banned , most of whom werent family, havent accepted anything, and stop with this "misunderstanding" crap , the issue i and others are complaining about is the fact that uniformed soldiers were banned in the first place, funeral or no funeral.

Bushy, aren't you being offended and/or complaining on other people's behalf? I didn't think you were a fan of that?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
What was that bible verse they always sent out when arriving in harbour that went along the lines of 'go forth and multiply' haha

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Cant see why; most of the (ex) servicemen posting on here seem peaceful and reasonable enough.

One of the biggest fights ive ever seen was between rival navy people in the Texas Bar in Lisbon...left a big impression on me as I still remember the bars name.. ..an American junior officer started to slag off Royal familes...British were fairly indifferent, as were the Canadians...The Dutch went fecking apeshit, so obviously we joined in against the Americans as it was normal practice.... ive not seen a larger fight, even at a football match. The riot police arrived down the street in two lines and beat the crap out of us all...drunk military personel ..in or out of uniform can be a bit of a nightmare, and to deny that fact is a bit daft.
This whole story doesnt really come into that category, but If the bar has a policy like that, then who can deny them. Theres more than one pub/bar in Coventry.

Last edited:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
indeed it was Dave, being a sparker though, i very rarely went on the upper deck unless it was sunny and the buntins were short staffed or it was procedure Alpha.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
One of the biggest fights ive ever seen was between rival navy people in the Texas Bar in Lisbon...left a big impression on me as I still remember the bars name.. ..an American junior officer started to slag off Royal familes...British were fairly indifferent, as were the Canadians...The Dutch went fecking apeshit, so obviously we joined in against the Americans as it was normal practice.... ive not seen a larger fight, even at a football match. The riot police arrived down the street in two lines and beat the crap out of us all...drunk military personel ..in or out of uniform can be a bit of a nightmare, and to deny that fact is a bit daft.

Happy days Dave, had a good clear lower deck in Auckland, us and the kiwi's against the aussies and yanks. all dressed in no.8 and steaming bats (1979).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Never had a problem in Guzz either...Portsmouth was different though... was a few places that were pretty anti..
The only major incident I was involved in Guzz was an attack on 'Rooftops' club in Plymouth after one of our people was badly beaten in there, in uniform, by
local skins... we were dragged out of our beds, told to dress in fatigues, webbing belts and boots, and were transported by Navy vehicles to the venue, and destroyed the place...Portsmouth seemed to have plenty of places that were anti uniform, and there are often problems between the military and civiians in some of the garrison/navy towns. To deny it is a little bit silly. Added to that, we are involved in a war that a large portion of the country has trouble with, and will make statements as such to soldiers if identified....which, as we can see from the board today, a reaction is always going to be there, and usually aggressive...

And yes, there are no bases there, but there are bases in nearby towns....

Sorry Bushy, I realise that you want to be beatified by the British public for being in uniform, but a lot of the country wont agree with you.

I worked with a guy who was an engineering officer on Ark Royal. At the time of the American bicentenial ( or whatever it was) anniversary, they invited navy's from all over the world to visit and the ship docked and lots of them were given shore leave.... they headed straight for the nearest bar ( 200 odd seemly) and when they got in , there was a group of about 150 Argies in there off one of their ships....all was well for about an hour them one guy insisted on going on about the Malvinas and it all kicked off!! Seemly quite a few were placed on a charge and restricted to ship duties only!

He was full of stories like this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here