Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wettest ever at Football

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Friday night evening game in December a few years back. Rochdale possibly?

Absolutely soaked through to the skin.

yep , remember that game well

fractured my wrist that afternoon , hurt so much that I couldn't put any clothes on ... but suprisingly could take some off

wore my Albion top under my schoolclothes that day and basically had a sling and a albion top whilst it rained and hailed

and we lost 4-3 with possibly one of the weirdest goal celebrations for Rochdales first I seem to remember..

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Bournemouth away, can't remember the year. I think we lost 3-2 or maybe even won? It was in the early 90's and man I was soaked to my skiddies.

This was my wettest ever at football too. It was 1993 and lost 4-2 at Bournemouth. We took the lead in the 1st minute but it went downhill like the weather after that!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Barnet away and Bournemouth away about 12 or so years ago
Barnet was when Emeka Ifajiagwa who we had on loan from charlton scored for us - I think he only played a couple more times and then got deported because he didn't have a work permit. It was an important goal though becasue I don't think we'd scored for several games before then.
Bornemouth was horrible as well - driving rain all match
Yesterday was well up there though along with a (dis)honourable mention for Rochdale at home at Withdean - the 4-3 game

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of the wettest must have been the Bournemouth away when Henderson slipped and gave the ball away for a goal. That was the start of his downfall on here. I think. At the end of the game he came up to the away fans and held his hand up in apology but all to no avail he was slaughtered by the experts of NSC.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
Oldham away 1984/5. Facing the Pennines on an uncovered terrace and 90 minute soaking into a gale. We lost 1-0 to a Mark Ward 35 yarder of course as usual.

Ooh, I remember that, much worse than yesterday - horizontal rain and sleet at
I believe the highest league ground in the country, nasty!

We went in the supporters club after the game and I remember the staff in there
microwaving clothes for us.

Upshot was, I missed the last train back from Manchester and was supposed to be
going on holiday by train to Turkey the next day, phoned my s.o.h. to tell her the
good news, she had to pack a bag for me and then met me at Victoria to catch
the boat train.

I remember relations being frosty until well after Paris :lolol:

I blame the travels of the young Miss Bracknell.

She flew all the way from Fiji for the Swindon play-off game. This week she flew all the way from Kenya for the Millwall game.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Has to be Man city at the Goldstone......I remember the fur around my parka stuck to my forehead and my trousers stuck to my legs......standing on the old East terrace with my mate and his dad (i was only 7 at the time) watching michael robinson hammering it home from a corner.....happy days !!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The thread is about the wettest, not the coldest - which that FA Cup 5th Round match would be a contender for. It was played on 15 February 1986.

The coldest i have ever been was Sheffield United away in the FA cup in about 1986 i think.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Oldham back in the 80's was dreadful - and that is one of the reasons I can't stand the place (along with the people, the ground, that plastic pitch, Andy Richie, the people, the food etc).

I was at the Man City game and I honestly can't recall it being wet.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Portsmouth away in the the late 80s. The match even went on a bit longer as we, stuck in the open stand behind the goal, kept keeping the ball. Funny but wet.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Evening game vs Walsall at the Goldstone in 1976/7; wind + torrential rain & sleet.
0-0 at half-time, Mullery then sent the players out 5 minutes early to show them what everyone else had been through for 45 minutes. 7-0 at full-time.

That's the wettest I've been too: I've been a North Stander for most of the Withdean games so have avoided the worst of the weather but I was on the Chicken Run for that Walsall game and was completely drenched.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The thread is about the wettest, not the coldest - which that FA Cup 5th Round match would be a contender for. It was played on 15 February 1986.

Now if its the coldest you're talking about, that would be Torquay away on New Year's day 96 or 97.
It was the first time I heard "Jump around if you hate Archer" which was more about surviving on the frozen terraces than expressing dislike for the world's biggest twunt.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
on a non Albion note, did anyone on here go to England v Croatia (2-3) that was a long walk up Wembley way, at least it had stopped before the end of the match.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Worst I can remember for a while was a mid week game against Tranmere at Withdean. We won 1-0 with a Gary Hart screamer (against the run of play).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here