Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wettest ever at Football

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I would imagine officialy the wettest game that lasted the full 90 mins would be the away game at peterborough gawd knows what year when we drew 2-2,and there was a even 4 inches of snow on the pitch.

Did they bring their subs on?

:)

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Oldham away 1984/5. Facing the Pennines on an uncovered terrace and 90 minute soaking into a gale. We lost 1-0 to a Mark Ward 35 yarder of course as usual.

Im glad you said that game;i was present amd tried to transfer to the seated area which was unsuccessful.I actually spent part of the game in the toilets away from the elements.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
bournemouth @ the Goldstone . . .

came back very late to draw 3-3 . . . drowned on the east terrace

early 90's some time . . .

happy days

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
From memory we scored a equaliser with the aid of a 2 foot high mound of snow their keeper was using to improve his goalkicks ! serves ya right ya cheating wankpot:tosser:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Im glad you said that game;i was present amd tried to transfer to the seated area which was unsuccessful.I actually spent part of the game in the toilets away from the elements.

Thats the exact type of behaviour that gives this club a bad name:laugh:

At Withers, probably one where Kuipers was sent off in the last minute, they scored from the penalty and we won 3-2.
Harty had me on SCR, told the listeners about his guest from the USA, then didn't even ask what I thought of the game. ???

I recall the light picking up the sheets of heavy rain coming down on us in the South Stand, and wearing the Klan plastic bag (so I wasn't too bad off as it 'appened).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Northampton Town at home at the Goldstone, towards the end of the promotion winning 1987-88 season. Won 3-0 I think, which was the start of our late charge to the top two.

Always sticks in my mind because the roads were under water and a couple of Northampton fans died in a car crash at Pyecombe on their way home. I remember driving past their Reliant Robin (no joke) lying on it's roof by the old Kwik Fit place
:(

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I remember that Boxing day game against Bristol Rovers well, must have been late 80's. Was very excited but drove down for a 3pm kick-off in a force 10 gale and lashing rain thinking surely they'll cancel it. The crowd for a Boxing day game was appalling, something like 5500: the east terrace was empty, bar a couple of Trawlermen. Everyone from the west terrace moved into the north under cover and you had to stand right in the middle to stay relatively dry such was the downpour and wind. Couldn't believe they kicked off, it was farcical conditions to play football in and would never have been played today. Worst of all, we lost 1-0. A past back to Digweed or Keeley, innocent on any of day, stopped dead in a lake of windermere proportions just outside the penalty area and a Rover's player was presented with a gift to score the game's only game. Got home soaked to the skin walking across Hove Park. Still remember that day 20 years later, simply because of the weather so must have been very bad indeed. Certainly more than Rochdale and Swindon which I also bore witness to. So Bristol Rovers game gets my vote, though I understand Millwall y'day must have been very close, if not on a par. We're all used to getting wet at Withdean so it takes something special for Albion fans to create a fuss.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I remember that Boxing day game against Bristol Rovers well, must have been late 80's. Was very excited but drove down for a 3pm kick-off in a force 10 gale and lashing rain thinking surely they'll cancel it. The crowd for a Boxing day game was appalling, something like 5500: the east terrace was empty, bar a couple of Trawlermen. Everyone from the west terrace moved into the north under cover and you had to stand right in the middle to stay relatively dry such was the downpour and wind. Couldn't believe they kicked off, it was farcical conditions to play football in and would never have been played today. Worst of all, we lost 1-0. A past back to Digweed or Keeley, innocent on any of day, stopped dead in a lake of windermere proportions just outside the penalty area and a Rover's player was presented with a gift to score the game's only game. Got home soaked to the skin walking across Hove Park. Still remember that day 20 years later, simply because of the weather so must have been very bad indeed. Certainly more than Rochdale and Swindon which I also bore witness to. So Bristol Rovers game gets my vote, though I understand Millwall y'day must have been very close, if not on a par. We're all used to getting wet at Withdean so it takes something special for Albion fans to create a fuss.

Think it was Carl Saunders who scored for them.

I remember before the start we were all hoping it would be on, as it was a bank holiday (I thought it was New Year's Day actually, but maybe it was Boxing Day). Once Rovers scored, we had all the possession, but it became increasingly obvious we wouldn't get the ball in the net if we played all night, and we were begging the ref to abandon it.

Like the poster above says, I reckon if we'd scored, the ref would have called a halt, but he didn't want to piss Bristol Rovers off by denying them an away win.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh yes....Middlesboro at home in the micky mouse cup at the goldstone....we were gettimg drowned in the east terrace and at half time they moved us all to the North Stand...we lost 5 or 6 - 1 I seem to recall

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yesterday?
Swindon Play off Semi?
Portsmouth away ( 1-5)?
Bristol Rovers Goldstone was it new years day?
Bolton away FA Cup?
Man City Goldstone 4-1?

Yesterday would have been horrible if we hadnt won

Yesterday was one of the wettest I can remember, but I've been to a few games where I've got a right soaking. Cambridge away five / ten (?) years ago, sticks in the mind. We were on the open away terrace, and won. So we had a right old jubilant sing-song, despite getting drenched. "Sing when it's raining" became "win when it's raining"!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

That was my 2nd ever game, except I don't really remember it being that wet?

Was definitely Digweed in goal and I also remember the ref making him wear his shorts over the trackie bottoms he had changed into.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
that barnet away game - i have never been so wet in my entire life

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
THREE stand out. Probably because we lost.

Portsmouth away circa 88/89 PISSED down and there was no cover except under a floodlight - lost 3-0.

Home to Bristol Rovers boxing day lost 1-0 same season.

At Withers lost 4-3 to Rochdale. Think it was the first season back.

And 2 wins:

Middboro at home at goldstone won 1 - 0 Mark Barham scored.

Bournmouth away won 3-1 circa 93/94 my pockets were filling up with water.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
We played Luton sometime in the last couple of seasons at Withdean and Chris Eagles lobbed Kuipers from the halfway line when he'd come rushing out of his goal to make a clearance. I had three layers of clothing on and it went through all three :censored:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Does no one remember when we beat Bradford at Withdean in 2002/2003 won 3-2 or 4-3 that was wet

3-2 it was... phenomenal feeling as it was the first win after the 12 straight defeats, 7 days after that day at Selhurst.

I actually don't remember it being wet though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here