Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wetherspoons

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
The Mile Castle and the Union Rooms in Newcastle are both excellent, honourable mention to the one on Scarborough High Street where I still had change from a tenner after 8 pints a few years back.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was in Warwick before travelling down for the Fulham match in December. My only concern about being there was that lunch might prove quite expensive. I shouldn't have worried, Spoons came to the rescue. It was a pleasant venue too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That Wetherspoons in North Street is hard to fault IMHO (if you can find a table). The drinks are very reasonably priced, the service is good and the food is a bargain. Ditto the one at the Marina. If nothing else, they are leading the way in opening hours that lazier pubs in town turn their noses up at.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Absolutely terrible establishments. I went in one in Kingston once. Ugh, still makes me shudder.

Seriously though, they are a ****ing abomination. It's exactly what all pubs would be like if Hitler had won.

Jules

Jan 17, 2013
Weather spoons are the pub equivalent of a council estate. I like a drink but would.never be seen dead in those naff awful hell holes.

They attract all the alcoholic s and the worst possible crowd. Uugg.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I was impressed with "The Old Goal House" in Winchester.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Absolutely terrible establishments. I went in one in Kingston once. Ugh, still makes me shudder.

Seriously though, they are a ****ing abomination. It's exactly what all pubs would be like if Hitler had won.

Disagree, if you read through this thread you will find out some are good and some are bad, just like pubs really.
IMO a good place to eat and drink without getting ripped off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Don't be such a snotty w*nker. No offence.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham

Kingston was probably the worst i ever went in stunk of piss and puke,used to like a beer around Kingston but prefer Surbiton now as it has better pubs imho.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Weather spoons are the pub equivalent of a council estate. I like a drink but would.never be seen dead in those naff awful hell holes.

So you haven't got a clue what you are talking about as you " would never be seen dead in those naff awful hell holes" :facepalm:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

clearly never been to a German pub.

the best thing about Wetherspoons is they dont attract all the pretentious knobs, so you get to drink for more sensible prices.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

the best thing about Wetherspoons is they dont attract all the pretentious knobs, so you get to drink for more sensible prices.

For sure. Was in the North Street one earlier today. Pint of Stella, pint of Heineken, bottle of Koppaberg Apple and Blueberry or somesuch random fruit medley shit = £10.40. Would be the best part of £15 anywhere else.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd rather pay the extra and enjoy a nice atmosphere. I don't go into pubs much these days so when I do I like it to be top notch. When I was out in the lash every weekend in Brighton we would often have a couple of cheapies in one of the spoons before heading around Black Lion St area but now a night in Brighton usually takes place in The Farm or similar. Maybe The Windmill. Perhaps if I was out every night I might only be able to afford Spoons but my days of pouring cheap lagers down my Gregory and queuing ten deep at The Black Lion are , by and large, done.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

I go in the North St one sometimes for a tea & a bacon sarnie for £2 there are no drunks, however there are tourists taking photos of the lovely mirrors sometimes.
I also can spell and drink more champagne than you, so I form a better crowd than you & my opinion counts more than yours

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

I've been to many a German pub, as far as I'm aware Hitler didn't succeed there either, hence the good pubs.

The pricing in Spoons is nothing to do with the clientele, the clientele is EVERYTHING to do with the pricing.

I would add though that I don't have a family, if I did I might well got I Spoons for cheaper food and drink as feeding a family of 2 adults and two kids at a decent pub must be close to £80/90 these days?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Good things about Wetherspoons

1) They always have a choice of real ales
2) They helped lead the way with smoke-free areas in all of their establishments before the law changed

Bad Things

1) They have contributed to other pubs going bust - economies of scale etc.
2) The food is too bargain basement for me I'm afraid

You'll get decent beer in either of the Wetherspoons up here in Milton Keynes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here