Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wetherspoons

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I usually go to Burgess Hill during the morning and pass there coming off of the bus and have had a breakfast a couple of times each time wife and I being the only people in there. It obviously must be busy at some times but not when I see it. I do know they cut back on the staff shifts due to the disappointing turnover. That came from a manager of another branch, who I knew when he was a barman for me, before he worked for Wetherspoons.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I have a mental image of you pitched up on the benches outside with a clicker counting footfall.

I live and work in Burgess Hill, often needing to pass during the day on route to the Station to travel to London, I've never seen it empty.

Spoons jealousy.
It is crap in there though with some real low life hanging around outside. They probably come from Haywards Heath and Hassocks/ Hurstpierpoint though.

I usually go to Burgess Hill during the morning and pass there coming off of the bus and have had a breakfast a couple of times each time wife and I being the only people in there. It obviously must be busy at some times but not when I see it. I do know they cut back on the staff shifts due to the disappointing turnover. That came from a manager of another branch, who I knew when he was a barman for me, before he worked for Wetherspoons.

Were you a Publican BG, you've not mentioned that before.

:wozza:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That was added in case somebody suggested it was on rumours site. As it happens I did the stocktaking at Tim Martins first pub, Martins in North London, so perhaps I should claim prompting him to get Wetherspoons started.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
The Metropolitan Bar on the Marylebone Rd. I'm not sure of the heritage of the building and I can't be arsed to look it up but it certainly is a little different to your average Weatherspoons. Had a very pleasant (and cheap) family brunch in there prior to doing the tourist thing at Madame Tussauds.

Headquarters of the Metropolitan Railway I believe

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's funny isn't it, how some Spoons are AWFUL and others are brilliant.

Will be interesting to see what the Heineken fallout..er...fallout is.

Where does this come from as Ernest said they haver stopped stocking Fosters due to a fall out and Heinekin and Fosters are brewed by different companies in competition with each other. So I would expect InterBrew would be plaeed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
There is a rather grand Wetherspoons near the Shard that was pretty decent.

Where? The only one I can think of round there is the Crosse Keys on Bishopsgate which has been mentioned by others.

Another shout for the Opera House in TW, great conversion of a fantastic old building as are the ones on Holloway Road and Chancery Lane.

They've bought the Cross in Crowborough, opens end of January. Can't imagine it'll much cop though.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Where does this come from as Ernest said they haver stopped stocking Fosters due to a fall out and Heinekin and Fosters are brewed by different companies in competition with each other. So I would expect InterBrew would be plaeed.

Heineken Ireland demanded they stop selling Heineken for up to €2 less than other local pubs (bearing in mind that they're still making a profit at this price and they're paying Heineken Ireland market rates). As a result they've pulled not just Heineken Ireland products from their Irish pub - all one of it - but Heineken UK from the UK estate.

It seems Heineken Ireland forgot that both them and Wetherspoons Ireland were branches of a multinational.

As goes Fosters, its contracted brewed by Heineken for Ireland so that's why its gone from the branch here. No idea about if its gone in the UK though?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Where? The only one I can think of round there is the Crosse Keys on Bishopsgate which has been mentioned by others.

Another shout for the Opera House in TW, great conversion of a fantastic old building as are the ones on Holloway Road and Chancery Lane.

They've bought the Cross in Crowborough, opens end of January. Can't imagine it'll much cop though.

It seems they've since closed down or changed hands. There was a cracker about five years ago. I will investigate further. My London friends will have a better recollection.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's funny isn't it, how some Spoons are AWFUL and others are brilliant.

Will be interesting to see what the Heineken fallout..er...fallout is.

people moving onto the nicer lagers?

imo, the bad 'spoonies are those on the town drag (such as in Brighton west st) or in/near stations, as many town drag and stations pubs are. but we've seen favourable remarks for some of those here. in fact we've seen generally favourable remarks.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
people moving onto the nicer lagers?

imo, the bad 'spoonies are those on the town drag (such as in Brighton west st) or in/near stations, as many town drag and stations pubs are. but we've seen favourable remarks for some of those here. in fact we've seen generally favourable remarks.

You do wonder if the trend for nicer lagers may be behind it - not just the craft stuff, but now the amount of Lagers labelling themselves 'premium' as opposed to Fosters and Carling.

As for Spoons - cheap booze, wide selection of local Ales, cheap grub - you have to be a snob to really be anti, the only argument against them apart from the scum who hang out in some of their pubs is the fact that they dominate the competition a bit too much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here