Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Upper - the place to be?

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Yeah, I'm willing to bet I'm right. As I said, the view = top notch. The acoustics = pretty good I imagine. The price = very reasonable. It's certainly not a bad place to sit, and I'd rather be up there than behind the goal. But look at the webcam and see how high it is. Bear in mind just the lower tier is bigger than the South Stand at Withdean, and it can be a bit distant from the back of that. Then you've got the 1901 tier plonked on top. You will be too high to make it worthwhile shouting at an opposition player when he goes in knee-high on Elliott.

IMHO the WS lower tier is not higher than the South Stand at Withers though (don't forget the SS has steps up before the first row starts). The West Stand Upper will be far loftier obviously, but when you see it first-hand it's not as far away from the action as the artwork makes it look. with it's low slung roof and the emerging demographic (i.e. goodly number of Ruffians) that are booking it, I think the atmos is going to be tops.

Dandyman

In London village.
DELIGHTED by the responses so far.

Should be no problem getting our seats in the North Stand now.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Binoculars_25x100.jpg

I guess you'd need those if, like him, you're trying to watch the game from Portugal.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I didn't go for WSU for the sheer fact that there are 5 flights of stairs and exiting will obviously take some time.
I agree that the view is good ( albeit a little high ) but the pricing difference between Upper and Lower clearly indicates which are the ' prime seats ' in the clubs view.
I have gone for WSL, about 15 rows back, near half-way...in my book, thats as good as it gets.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't care what the clubs view is, I was made up when I saw the prices for the WSU block. I'd have made a beeline for there even if it was the most expensive.
I HATE being low down. Much prefer getting a proper perspective from a "TV" type viewpoint.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
IMHO the WS lower tier is not higher than the South Stand at Withers though (don't forget the SS has steps up before the first row starts). The West Stand Upper will be far loftier obviously, but when you see it first-hand it's not as far away from the action as the artwork makes it look. with it's low slung roof and the emerging demographic (i.e. goodly number of Ruffians) that are booking it, I think the atmos is going to be tops.

from what i could gather at the presentation, the west stand lower back row will be higher than the back of the south stand, despite the fact that it doesnt actually look like it

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
West lower for me I think IF decent seats still available (not pitch level!). If not, may resort to the East and try and curb my abuse of the officials.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The lower tier of the West Stand at the Amex is 29 rows deep, the South Stand at Withdean is 26 in the middle. But the South Stant at Withdean obviously has an extra elevation at the front as it doesn't start from ground level, which I estimate to be worth about another 6 rows. If you added those on then, in effect, you are probably about 32/33 rows from the pitch when sitting at the back of the South Stand. BUT, the seats at the Amex will be bigger and will have more room in between them. So I don't reckon there will be a lot in it.

It's bloody brilliant that we're comparing what is by far our biggest stand at the moment to just a single TIER in the new place though!

That's the sort of thing Hebberd was saying last night.

I think in comparing the new West and the present South stands, I'd say he hasn't taken into account the 'missing' 6? 8? 10? rows at the front of the present South stand. Having stood at the back of the West Lower, I find it hard to compare the height of that with the height of my current seat (Row S) in the South, even when he says they're roughly the same.

Who knows? Who cares? f*** it, I'm in the West Upper, and I'm happy.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I went for WSU 2 seats in the front row just in the cheap seats section. I went in the cheap section because these were the only front row seats and I am taking along CWWW Jnr (8) Should get great atmosphere and view. I also liked the idea of the windows, so before the game and HT should be light and airy. I hope the club can do a trade up scheme for the Jnr ticket as it would be nice to take non STH mates on occassions - I would think that the occasional fans will be in the east.

I thought the presentation was quite low key - I was expecting anthemic music , an orsan wells style voiceover and images of our former glories. Low key is probably more tasteful though.:lolol:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've had a shout (albeit in an empty ground) in the WSU. The sound really travels - really travels - when you're right under that roof.

Believe me, you want to be heard on the pitch from the WSU? No worries.

At the volume you were whinging on Saturday Al they'll be able to hear you alright....

PG

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is exactly my point about there being something for everyone in a stadium as magnificent as the Amex. Personally, I always like to be in the thick of the atmosphere and, while not low down, want to be close enough to the pitch to catch every detail. I can't imagine anything worse than watching every home game with a "tactical view" (in the words of Richard Hebberd), but you clearly LOVE it. On reflection, the fact there is no unanimous 'best seat in the house' is why they can get away with the +3s.

I know what you mean - being right up close to the action has a lot going for it as well, and I like seeing the play up close for a little bit when I wander down to go for a waz sometimes, just before the halftime whistle goes (on my way to the toilet obviously, as opposed to letting loose on the running track). But I just can't be doing with the perspective down there. I NEED to see whats going on properly. To appreciate the satisfying geometry of a Calde - Dicker - El-Abd triangle of play, or to spot the acres of space in front of Bennett and then glorify in its fulfilment as a sumptuous crossfield ball from Gorgeous Gordon arrows down the flank perfectly into his path.

You can only TRULEY appreciate that when witnessing from an elevated vantagepoint. In my opinion anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here