Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Ham United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just watching the start of MOTD to see where we end up being shown (towards the end, as per normal?) and the opening titles don't have any of the fixtures on them - did they forget?!

Would guess 4th or 5th

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It's strange how we struggle against a team that plays a flat back 10:shrug:
Sometimes, I just want them to have a shot from 40 yards, just for the sake of having a shot. then other times, when reason overcomes the alcohol, I'm quite enthralled by our close, one touch tippy tappy stuff

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
How were our faithful in terms of noise? Looked great at the end

Great singing pre match in the bar area and loads around me during the match with a strong Albion songbook - Bissouma, Solly March, Dunk all got their songs, Sussex by the Sea got a shortened version, a bit of Graham Potter's blue and white army, Albiooooooon etc, and an invitation to the West Ham fans to shove their bubbles somewhere probably anatomically impossible given the thin wall structure of those bubbles. As the adapted athletics stadium layout seems to have been designed by someone with a pathological hatred of the idea of football fans enjoying themselves it was hard to tell how much the songs were taken up by others though. Certainly in fine voice where I was positioned though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How were our faithful in terms of noise? Looked great at the end

Great second half but well below par first half…..but it’s a properly shite away end to get anything going even when things are going well on the pitch. Really enjoyed the last 10 and post-match though, obviously :lolol:

Great to see Knocky as well and give him a song….until the WHU stewards moved him away.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Watched with a family of West Ham friends from the gods. Miles away, subbuteo like, lots of plastics getting up with 10 mins to go in either half, bit of passion but no singing, opening bubbles aside, but ahhhh the best thing in football, the last minute equaliser provides the beautiful ending.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I watched most of the second half, and thought we were definitely holding our own, but what a nerve from Maupay to try a bicycle kick in the 87th minute - everybody knows he’s rubbish!:albion2:

Interesting evening for me this evening - roller coaster!

• Mrs DiS sets off to the Saints match. I’m settling down for ours.
    She phones - I’ve crashed the car. I have to set off on the bus to rescue her.
    Car damaged but drivable, traffic light bent, Mrs DiS shaken but unhurt.
    Sitting in a cafe for a drink before driving back, goal down very quickly.
    Two substitutions for injury before half time. What is going on???
    Get home for most of second half. Brighton doing OK - heartening, despite the doommongers on here.
    85 minutes - another injury and down to 10 men. Oh well, that’s it then.
    Then Duffy to Lamptey to Maupay, who couldn’t hit a barn door……..
    Relatively happy now

:albion2:

This is an excellent stream of consciousness. Concern for wife bracketed by love for Albion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watched with a family of West Ham friends from the gods. Miles away, subbuteo like, lots of plastics getting up with 10 mins to go in either half, bit of passion but no singing, opening bubbles aside, but ahhhh the best thing in football, the last minute equaliser provides the beautiful ending.

Before our equaliser, on TV you could see huge swathes of empty seats on the lower tier of WH stands.

It’s not just an Amex phenomena!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just back, superb point

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What do you make of that? If ever a game showed our deficiencies this was it. A powder puff attack, a lack of height and muscle, plenty of possession with no result. Also , I have to say a dodgy keeper who is inconsistent.
But we came away with an away point! We sneaked that one. To be fair West Ham should have won. We were damn lucky with having their second goal disallowed on a technicality. The human eye would not have seen whatever the VAR saw. ( I still dislike VAR even though we benefited yesterday.
Very sorry for Sarmiento, a terrible thing to happen just minutes into his first start. We will be without Webster at the weekend maybe Lallana too .
For 80 minutes I was unhappy, I feel better now! :albion2:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It was a great shame for Sarmiento, who was looking sharp.

Imagine if we had spaffed 30 or 40 million on a new striker and he had done his hamstring 10 minutes into his first game?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Holy moly. As long as she's OK.....

Cars can be repaired, as can Brighton scoring stats. We are now 7th, we were well worth the point and Maupay's got his mojo back !

Sorry to hear about the missus and her accident. I don't know how much you know about cars, but I would get a pro to have a good look over it, just in case.

Glad Maupay made you evening.

This is an excellent stream of consciousness. Concern for wife bracketed by love for Albion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is ok - shaken up but no physical damage.
She phoned insurers last night, who echoed Mouldy Boots to say we should consider it undrivable. Courtesy car and bodywork collection should be sorted today. Body shop they use 5 minutes walk away.
She watched the end of the Saints match. We are United in our detestation of Brendan Rogers and our love for Graham Potter.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
10 men on the field, against 4th away (even if it is WH), I know goals have been thin on the ground but this is a very decent point

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Before our equaliser, on TV you could see huge swathes of empty seats on the lower tier of WH stands.

It’s not just an Amex phenomena!

West Ham is a JCL's paradise, not enough tourists in London right now

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
First Albion game I've watched for a long time.

Very pretty football generally, but severely lacking up front most of the time. Cracking equalizer though.
Frustrating to see we still have that habit of pushing forward, yet still ending up back at the keeper... :rolleyes:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Really enjoyed that whole experience - don't get to away games all that much - but that's a weirdly soulless and quiet stadium. Except for the song when the teams came out their fans don't really seem to sing ever. A bit of an "ooooooh" when they attacked occasionally but not much at all. The Amex is rocking by comparison. Good atmosphere outside the ground tonight but then dead inside it. Then splitting up the away fans on multiple levels with that big empty bit between them seems like a crafty move to suck the life out of the away support. Found myself between two groups of young men who spent as much time demonstrating their well practiced wrist action in the direction of the home support as they did watching the game which was funny on one level, just for their enthusiastic attempt to get a reaction, but as a stadium and vocal support the Hammers get a very low 2/10 from me.

I couldn't get a broadcast on my IPTV which didn't constantly buffer so I listened to the radio commentary.

Over the top of JC and WA you could hear the occasional IRONS shout which one person answered and was followed by a loud SEAGULLS!

Last edited:

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
To be honest the West Ham fans have been very honest in their comments and compliments about the result and performance. I would posted something have very different otherwise on here about them.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
First Albion game I've watched for a long time.

Very pretty football generally, but severely lacking up front most of the time. Cracking equalizer though.
Frustrating to see we still have that habit of pushing forward, yet still ending up back at the keeper... :rolleyes:
Textbook. But still incredible.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
To be honest the West Ham fans have been very honest in their comments and compliments about the result and performance. I would posted something have very different otherwise on here about them.

I've got a West Ham fan in my team at work who was also at the game, and he's been very complimentary this morning - loved our "easy on the eye" way of playing, especially 2nd half when we had a bit more urgency, and the way the team never stopped. It's interesting seeing people say Brighton were out-muscled (which we were at times), but then him saying the problem West Ham had is they relied on muscle to nick the ball and try and hit on the break and didn't seem to offer much else, but Brighton are too skilful and slick a side to bully for 90 minutes and hope that's enough to get a result. Most worryingly he's now sounding like a convert to the Church of Potter - he noticed the stuff you don't see on TV like how Potter gets his players' attention and applauds them and shouts something to them even when something goes wrong - he reckoned every time the ball went out of play Potter was congratulating a player or two even if it was their error and a West Ham throw or corner, how he is visibly directing the game at times, how he'll call to a player - like Lamptey when he wasn't getting much of a touch when he first came on - and give him encouragement and advice...very different from a lot of other managers with how much he communicates positivity and how the players respond.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here