Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Brom release Joe Mattock

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Keith Andrews unlikely to be offered a contract too! Wouldn't mind that either. Also means we can save the transfer money for a striker or two and a keeper.

weve been after keith andrews since last year,we cant afford his 22 grand a week wages,end of

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Given that leftback is surely a target area for strengthening, and that Mattock did pretty well on loan down here, this must be a no brainer unless Gus has someone better up his sleeve somewhere.

Even if so, Mattock would be a far better option off the bench (especially if the 7 sub rule is revived) than Marcos "turning speed of an aircraft carrier" Painter.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Yes - but that was two championship clubs - so why not think a third who offers the most would work out ok. Hopefully he is thinking he will learn more under Gus and particularly Tanno.

True true. I think he knows the club are heading in the right direction and he knows the team well and the players, and on a free one that's even more of a bargain.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
That seems surprising, I really thought we would have wanted him. I mean, why would they release him if we wanted to sign him, they must have known of our interest and therefore hoped to get a couple of bob?

Presumably his contract is up if they've released him? They'd be unlikely to offer him a new one, and he'd be unlikely to sign it, if the plan was for him to leave and join us anyway.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Hes one of the targets so it will be interesting if he signs to see if the plans and targets fall into place or if we are chasing players who can go elsewhere for big bucks. Keep selling that dream Gus..

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Presumably his contract is up if they've released him? They'd be unlikely to offer him a new one, and he'd be unlikely to sign it, if the plan was for him to leave and join us anyway.

Strange one, in the argus a couple of months back mattock said that WBA had an option to give him another year, which they had taken. I thought it would mean us buying him for a fee :shrug:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

If they offer him a contract, but he moves to us, they are entitled to compensation as he is under the age of 24. Probably what he means, in that just by offering a contract they could have got a fee of us, but then on the flip side it could've backfired, with him signing the contract and picking up a wage whilst not being in the teams plans.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
WBA site says they have opted against taking up the extra year option so he is a free agent.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
His probably off on his hols to give his agent time to get a bidding war started. All down to who pays the most wedge, hopefully TB can dig deep and finance this esp as no fee involved

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

They had a one year option and could have kept him and sold him if they thought they would get a fee. We have probably already said we can't pay transfer fees :)
Last season WBA took up an option on Roman Bednar's contract and sold him to Blackpool and they have taken up an option for Simon Cox today with the probability that he will be sold during the summer.

Reyes has a year to run on his existing deal so either they will sell him or let him go on a free if he doesn't figure in the new manager's plans.

Scharner and Andrews contracts are up at the end of June with no options so the new guy will have to decide whether to keep them or get rid but both are on "proper" PL salaries (ie. too much for us :) )

They have also released Somon Tchoyi 6'+ central midfield playmaker - could be just the ticket for us although there were some questions a year or so ago if I remember about his committment. Certainly very skilful.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'd be very pleased to see him sign up ... and a bit surprised if he doesn't tbh. Seems to make sense all ways round. Good club, good manager, good prospects, and a starting berth is there for him. Job done!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I wonder why they release players when the manager is leaving. You would think that any incoming manager would want to look at what he's got first

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
They had a one year option and could have kept him and sold him if they thought they would get a fee. We have probably already said we can't pay transfer fees :)
Last season WBA took up an option on Roman Bednar's contract and sold him to Blackpool and they have taken up an option for Simon Cox today with the probability that he will be sold during the summer.

Reyes has a year to run on his existing deal so either they will sell him or let him go on a free if he doesn't figure in the new manager's plans.

Scharner and Andrews contracts are up at the end of June with no options so the new guy will have to decide whether to keep them or get rid but both are on "proper" PL salaries (ie. too much for us :) )

They have also released Somon Tchoyi 6'+ central midfield playmaker - could be just the ticket for us although there were some questions a year or so ago if I remember about his committment. Certainly very skilful.

Tchoyi?! cant believe they would release him, i swear he was killing it at the start of this season for them? Maybe it was last season. He would be a brilliant signing, very strong but skilfull player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here