Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are Over Achieving!

Silent Bob said:
Less tired yes, than Adam Hinshelwood who had been run ragged by proabbly the quickest player in the division in his first game back after an 11 month spell on the sidelines. This is Gary Hart we're talking about yes? The player who has run his bollocks off all game every game for the last seven years. I'm pretty sure he had more left in his tank than Hinsh. and wasn't on a booking.

Well, yes, what I have said is what I thought made most sense and what I thought McGhee was actually going to do.....

Why are you "pretty sure" Hinsh had more left in the tank than Harty, whose job for the entire first half was to constantly chase and move the Norwich back 4 rather than Hinsh, who did not play on Saturday like Harty? You are only pretty sure because you make arrogant assumptions about players wholly unsubstantiated by any real facts or knowledge about their respective fitness levels.

And for this so-called certainty that Hinsh was going to get sent off. Most people in the ground DIDN'T EVEN REALISE Hinsh's first booking was a foul, most saw it as a pedantic ref booking him for kicking the ball into the crowd. (This is how the Norwich daily paper recorded the booking too in their report this morning! Utter retrospective justification by a gutless ref, who, let's not forget subsequently booked two players within minutes for kicking the ball away, as if that wasn't motivated by the Hinsh first booking).

Your implied suggestion that Hinsh was looking certain to get sent off because he was, what? constantly fouling Huckerby in the lead-up to the second yellow? is nonsense, no one saw it coming because those fouls only exist in your head Silent Bob. It was more blatant inconsistency by the ref who was at other times allowing a Norwich player to whack Frutos in the face and a terrible tackle from behind on another of our players.

Hinsh was picked to do a tactical job and it would have been ridiculous to have thrown out the tactical system (when, at half-time?) that the team had trained and prepared for just because he picked up an innocuous booking for what looked to everybody like a technical offence of kicking the ball away.

If he'd have actually done as you suggest, another bunch of whingeing McGhee critics would have come on here and complained about his headless chicken/constant tinkering and not seeing a tactical plan through.

It's the same as ever for the McGhee whingers. He does something, he gets accused of being a tinkerman unable to settle on one system or set of players, he doesn't do something, he gets guys like Silent Bob coming on with their perfect 20-20 hindsight saying what should have been done.

You lot have so much bloody cake and eat it, it's a wonder you're not all 20 stone :nono:

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Why are you "pretty sure" Hinsh had more left in the tank than Harty, whose job for the entire first half was to constantly chase and move the Norwich back 4 rather than Hinsh, who did not play on Saturday like Harty? You are only pretty sure because you make arrogant assumptions about players wholly unsubstantiated by any real facts or knowledge about their respective fitness levels.
Gary Hart is probably one of the fittest players in the division, Hinsh has been out for 11 months. It doesn't take a genius. Also Gary Hart is the quicker of the two players, which helps with Huckerby as shown by Reid and Hart's performances against him att Withdean.

London Irish said:
And for this so-called certainty that Hinsh was going to get sent off. Most people in the ground DIDN'T EVEN REALISE Hinsh's first booking was a foul, most saw it as a pedantic ref booking him for kicking the ball into the crowd. (This is how the Norwich daily paper recorded the booking too in their report this morning! Utter retrospective justification by a gutless ref, who, let's not forget subsequently booked two players within minutes for kicking the ball away, as if that wasn't motivated by the Hinsh first booking).

Your implied suggestion that Hinsh was looking certain to get sent off because he was, what? constantly fouling Huckerby in the lead-up to the second yellow? is nonsense, no one saw in coming. It was more blatant inconsistency by the ref who was at other times allowing a Norwich player to whack Frutos in the face and a terrible tackle from behind on another of our players.
I was implying no such thing, the only one who has called it a certainty is you. :)
I'm not saying I KNEW he was going to get sent off, that he derserved to be sent off, or that the ref wasn't a dick, just that I THOUGHT leaving him on and taking Hart off wasn't the right move and was somewhat vindicated by the sending off. The second booking was for shirt pulling, a silly thing to send someone off for, but has an air of the certainty you keep going on about with a player like Huckerby because he's so damn quick and Hinsh lacking match fitness.

London Irish said:
Hinsh was picked to do a tactical job and it would have been ridiculous to have thrown out the tactical system that the team had trained and prepared for (when, at half-time?) just because he picked up an innocuous booking for what looked to everybody like a technical offence of kicking the ball away.
I didn't say we should radically change the system though did I? I said we should put Hart on the right to do a similar job on Huckerby, which he clearly can do and provide more of an option going forward at the same time.

Silent Bob said:
Gary Hart is probably one of the fittest players in the division, Hinsh has been out for 11 months. It doesn't take a genius. Also Gary Hart is the quicker of the two players, which helps with Huckerby as shown by Reid and Hart's performances against him att Withdean.

It doesn't also take a genius to realise that
1) Hinsh had been prepared for the job of man-marking Huckerby by the management beforehand, rather than somebody just shouting over to Harty telling him he has a new job suddenly in the middle of the game :rolleyes:
2) Hinsh has ACTUAL experience of man-marking players, ie. Idiakez
3) Hinsh is an ACTUAL defender so probably has a head start there in terms of giving him the job of stopping Huckerby
4) Hinsh had not played two games in 4 days, so was more rested, yet you would have subbed him at half-time :rolleyes:

Doesn't take a genius to figure any of these things out either, but you are still so arrogantly sure that Hart would have done the man-marking job and apparently helped us to score an equaliser. More perfect hindshite and dubious supposition we've come to expect as standard from the constant McGhee critics.

Silent Bob said:
but has an air of the certainty you keep going on about with a player like Huckerby because he's so damn quick and Hinsh lacking match fitness.

So you do admit that I correctly characterised your very dubious opinion on certainty. Cheers.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
LI

When will you ever learn the basic requirements of football, that is, to score more goals than your opponents. Rave reviews on how well we have played as per MM on SCR will not keep us up points secured will. We seem incapable of getting those, in fact we cant even get the draws we were getting earlier in the season.

So how can we be over achieving? Is it on the field on the financial front getting bums on seats how? Or is getting planning permission for Falmer, the major task for the past 6 years and the major financial drain, getting what DK and his board set as their aim, is this over achieving?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
It doesn't also take a genius to realise that
1) Hinsh had been prepared for the job of man-marking Huckerby by the management beforehand, rather than somebody just shouting over to Harty telling him he has a new job suddenly in the middle of the game :rolleyes: why not? thats what happens when a managewr wants to swap tactics - its called having a plan b
2) Hinsh has ACTUAL experience of man-marking players, ie. Idiakez and he pissed all over him t withdean
3) Hinsh is an ACTUAL defender so probably has a head start there in terms of giving him the job of stopping Huckerby - from midfield
4) Hinsh had not played two games in 4 days, so was more rested, yet you would have subbed him at half-time :rolleyes: they are pros, and we all saw how resting players worked so well over xmas.

Doesn't take a genius to figure any of these things out either, but you are still so arrogantly sure that Hart would have done the man-marking job and apparently helped us to score an equaliser. More perfect hindshite and dubious supposition we've come to expect as standard from the constant McGhee critics.

So you do admit that I correctly characterised your very dubious opinion on certainty. Cheers.
:lolol:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Great shame about this thread, started off really well with, imho, quite an accurate viewpoint of the match and our current situation.
Pity it couldn't have stayed on those lines instead of degenerating into the slagging match it's gone into. ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The thread is titled 'we are over achieving' I would say that based on results, not performances, we are NOT over achieving so I would be grateful if somebody could show me in which area we are, as this is a much used statement, by many including DK & MP in the STH renewal letter, that I cannot see the basis for.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I we were over achieving we'd be in the top half of the table.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
This is typical of NSC - one fan lambasts McGhee for not paying enough attention to Huckerby, now Silent Bob does so because he paid TOO much attention to Huckerby by keeping Hinsh on him. How on earth a manager is meant to get a fair hearing on here, I'll never know with these kind of a la carte digs, one to suit every menu.

Once again Silent Bob sums up the Monday morning quarterbacking of so many McGhee critics, dubious assertions piled on to a mountain of what ifs. If only he'd have done this, we'd have defintely scored blah blah blah.

We outplayed Norwich for much of the second half, had some chances and only conceded at the end when we were piling so many bodies forward.

That irony is no doubt lost on Silent Bob who believes we would have done better by piling more bodies forward earlier and giving Huckerby more space to exploit :rolleyes:

And McGhee is also meant to be able to see into the future too in knowing which of our players on yellow cards is going to get another f***ing disgraceful decision from the ref. Why oh why McGhee didn't you drag McShane off, we could have gone down to nine men :rolleyes:

Predictable and Patronising, well done Steve.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Steve....isn't football all about opinions?

Do people not have the same right as you to express their opinions without you patronising them?

For a left wing shop steward who writes in the media, your attitude to "free speech" is very disturbing.

It does reveal some signs of obvious insecurity.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:
The thread is titled 'we are over achieving' I would say that based on results, not performances, we are NOT over achieving so I would be grateful if somebody could show me in which area we are, as this is a much used statement, by many including DK & MP in the STH renewal letter, that I cannot see the basis for.

I think the point was that we are over-achieving to even be in this division when you look at our situation compared to every other team in this league, even the shit ones, and even if we go down we will have had 2 more seasons here than we should have. Not that we are over-achieving in this league. That was my interpretation of it anyway.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Dies Irae said:
Steve....isn't football all about opinions?

Do people not have the same right as you to express their opinions without you patronising them?

For a left wing shop steward who writes in the media, your attitude to "free speech" is very disturbing.

It does reveal some signs of obvious insecurity.

Maybe the attacks cover over his paper thin knowledge of the game?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Buck said:
Well that is the Great Ones Magic Touch, lay into everyone.

And you bite every time he does it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
imho the reason this board and indeed the crowd themselves are so divided has a lot to do with being unable to reconcile the problems of our situation and the ability within our squad. Our off field situation means we are definately over achieving and should realistically be mid-table in Lg1. Somehow MM has got in players of the quality of Henderson, McShane, Reid, Nicolas, Carole, Frutos and CKR in the time he has been here, whilst also having to sell our better players to keep us going. We are third from bottom and that is quite an achievment in itself.

But this seems to be despite MM's wayward tactics and team selection. So while we are over achieving all round, on the pitch we are under achieving. No one doubts that irratic tactics and team selction would hinder any side, so some are wondering where we would be if MM could decide on some tactics and pick his best team.

All in all I think MM's contribution is on the plus side. He has done a great job in terms of dealing with our off field situation and transfer dealings. I think ideally we need some coaches working with him who aren't just yes men. I may be wrong but it appear Brooker and White aren't really challeging MM to rectify problems, or making suggestions. Unfortunately I think MM likes it this way. This is all my opinion so I expect some flaming but at least its fairly constructive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here