Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are no better than last season

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As if people here actually think TB might be considering sacking Potter is ****ing hilarious.

You understand he’s a numbers man? That’s literally how he makes his money. And unlike some rather dim fans the numbers he looks at is beyond the literal”point tally”.

Which numbers is he looking at then?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Here’s one of the reasons why we don’t have as many points as we’d like.

And this doesn’t include recent months and missed penalties. Shouldn’t need to be spelled out, but it ain’t all on the manager.

[tweet]1369687200862965764[/tweet]

That is heartbreaking. That should be 10 seasons worth of disappointment, not just one!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm more on board with that one because (a) it makes more sense, i.e. it defines what the players are doing and (b) its a positive approach that we love when it works. A 'low block' doesn't seem to describe anything (other than perhaps Trossard lieing behind the wall) and is a horrible negative thing when combined with long balls and lone isolated strikers.

But I get why you hate it and shall endeavour to use that less as well :)

A low block is a pretty clear description of a defensive set up, isn't it? To me it implies 2 banks of 4 (or even 5), sitting deep and restricting space. I'm not sure why a bit of terminology would rile anyone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Here’s one of the reasons why we don’t have as many points as we’d like.

And this doesn’t include recent months and missed penalties. Shouldn’t need to be spelled out, but it ain’t all on the manager.

[tweet]1369687200862965764[/tweet]

It does include missed penalties, but I don't blame you for not watching that far, its a painful watch!

One question I always have about xG - is it a stat that will track closely to real goals over time? Because if it is, then we can hope for 60+ goals next season.

Or is a team consistently falling underneath it one with excellent chance-creators and poor chance-finishers? The latter seems most likely. I suppose our 'moneyball' approach has led to us finding lots of chance-creators under market value, which puts the focus squarely on the strikers to finish them. I believe Maupay is having his tricky second season and will become a top striker, but he'll have to prove it before most will listen. W need to do that big splurge on a finisher.

Danny Ings. Its not impossible. Lets do it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A low block is a pretty clear description of a defensive set up, isn't it? To me it implies 2 banks of 4 (or even 5), sitting deep and restricting space. I'm not sure why a bit of terminology would rile anyone.

Its the word 'low' I suppose. Its been adopted as the opposite of high. We're all happy talking about players playing 'high up the pitch' but we've never spoken of players 'staying low down the pitch'. So its a bit weird.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
f*ck knows. There must have been something used in the old days, its hardly a new tactic 'backs to the wall defending' perhaps? Low Block has been adopted as a way to glorify the tactical aspect of this negative play.

I wouldn't say it's been glorified. In fact, generally, it's said in a slightly sneering way- damning with faint praise at best. Anyway, it's part of the nomenclature of tactics now so get used to it :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Low block? High block? :shrug:

I think our biggest issue is a mental block. And to think I was led to believe Potter came equipped with an ology in dealing with that sort of thing?

I think all 4 seasons have overall been very similar. With CH you knew weren't going to score many as he focused more on the defence, with GP the attacking intent is there but still the inability to hit a barn door continues to cost us.

Goals scored in each of our 4 seasons in the Prem :

2017/18 34
2018/19 35
2019/20 39
2020/21 33 (so far).

We are on a par with the squad we have, and I genuinely expect something similar again next season. Do people really expect much more?

Yes, given the accumulated spend on players of £20m, the signing of England internationals. Our squad is much better now than the Championship one of 2017-18 but it’s not delivering

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Yes. Stop assuming we are the finished article. We've improved in so many areas in the last year and there are still areas to work on. Some will need changes in personnel.

Just have to get out of the mindset of 'we didn't break down a highly defensive team yesterday, so we never will'

In all top-level sport you have to keep overcoming challenges - when something works others will counter it and you have to adapt - that ability to adapt is what determines if you will be a success at the top level.

If you think winning 10 games a season is me thinking Brighton is the finished article then perhaps my expectations are Lower than most.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There can’t be anybody who thinks we would be 3-0 up at Wolves at HT. That result and performance last night were shocking. I still think we have done enough to get away with it again this season but by goodness there needs to be improvement next year.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I agree with a lot of what you say, we aren’t learning from our mistakes and there is a consistent pattern of results and performances against certain levels of teams which leaves me scratching my head wondering why we aren’t changing anything.

You are right that a huge issue we have is injuries to both our wing backs. In a system where we don’t have a Grealish a Zaha or someone or that ilk who is going to go past players and make things happen missing two players who provide width and attacking purpose in the final third is a huge loss. Our other issue is having far too many one-paced players in a system that really does require players to have a change of pace.

I don’t believe we are worse than last season, we’ve competed with better teams far better and deserved more points than we have got. However we haven’t learnt any lessons from last season and improved in the areas that were clearly an issue.... in some ways this is worse than the claim you made because our flaws are there to see and not doing anything about them appears criminal.

We have a better keeper, look far better defensively(apart from the occasional issue) and our midfield isn’t completely over run which was still in the case on many occasions last season. But we haven’t improved as an attacking force at all, we miss the chances we do create and against teams who play behind the ball against us we lack clarity and creativity.

top post

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes, given the accumulated spend on players of £20m, the signing of England internationals. Our squad is much better now than the Championship one of 2017-18 but it’s not delivering

Yes, on paper it does look a stronger squad. But is it really? Nothing has really changed in 4 years other than chances created and missed but we are still on the bottom line of the snakes and ladders board, struggling to find a ladder.

Maybe I am somewhat pessimistic but I really don't expect us to be mid table and a bottom 6 finish is all I realistically hope for, and I'm not unhappy being the 15th,16th,17th best team in England. My own personal hope is that if we had a 10 year stint in the Prem, then maybe just once we could finish in the top half, otherwise our current position for the most part is what I was expecting (with my own prediction at the start of this season being 16th).

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
For the first season and a half of Hughton no one was saying "that Brighton team are terrible at the back". The side fairly much were Dunk and Duffy, throwing themselves at shots and winning headers so that the long diagonal could be pinged to a creative player and off we went.

So if your argument is merely that we're worse in the attacking third that does suggest a certain amount of going backwardsness.

We're a well run club, of that there is no doubt. We have better players this season. Potter has made a great call bringing in Sanchez, we've developed White well and Biss is like a different player. But none of that - none of it - is showing in the league table where it counts.

our potential to improve has vastly increased under potter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. And a manager with some passion as well ....

4th bottom now BHA. What a poor season ...... again.

I'm still with Potter, but should we finish in the bottom 4, how could anyone possibly say that we had a decent season? Especially after 4 seasons and 8 transfer windows.

Frighteningly, some would.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here