Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are no better than last season

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whilst I'm frustrated with the predictability of so many of our games, I remain absolutely delighted with the direction of travel under Potter.

It feels as though we are so close to being an absolutely cracking Premier League side. In fact we are an absolutely cracking Premier League side, capable of going toe-to-toe with pretty much every other side in the league, including teams that absolutely steamrollered us in our first couple of seasons in the top flight.

Where we're falling short, obviously, is in the final third where we can xG with the best of them but repeatedly fail to convert that to all-important goals. I'm happy to believe and trust that will come.

At this precise moment in time we could also be:-

"Team Of The '80's" II

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Much of the angst on this thread comes from the fact that its generally considered one win will see us safe. Also that the best chance of that win, with our remaining fixtures, was Sheffield Utd. The irony is that with our record against the bottom teams this was the least likely fixture to yield that win. Bring On City, West Ham and Wolves!

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
One is the terrible finishing - you could easily argue that we have worked out how to break down the low block, we have made lots of chances and we are not putting them away - hopefully that will be resolved with a better striker and better shooting from midfield, including someone who can score from direct free-kicks. Then there is scoring from corners - getting better at that. And there is being more clinical on counter attacks - I remember the first PL game at the Amex against Man City, our block had held out for 65 minutes, then we finally had our first sustained spell of possession in their half - but then lost it and 10 seconds later City had scored. United are good at that as well. We need to work on that.

Which is down to Potter.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Absolutely! First chance we get. No time to hang about as we will only have one match to voice our opinion.

Couldn’t read your last word before idiot because it’s stared out. But obviously your not name callin as that’s you losing the argument already. Which makes your opinion unimportant.

Using the odd bit of profanity doesn't lose an argument, talking absolute horse pooh about making banners does!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Much of the angst on this thread comes from the fact that its generally considered one win will see us safe. Also that the best chance of that win, with our remaining fixtures, was Sheffield Utd. The irony is that with our record against the bottom teams this was the least likely fixture to yield that win. Bring On City, West Ham and Wolves!

The squad and manager are very fortunate to be playing The Leeds next.

Up against a manager who is even more belligerent that GPott, playing a system that works for the Albion..

Thankfully Elsa will NEVER say to his players:-

'Just give them the ball'.
'Let them make the mistake in front of their goal'.
'For the rest of the game get back behind the ball'.
'1-0, job done - candy from a baby'.

Other managers will value points over principles.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
And there in with that post I think you just about validated my point about " Expectations "

My expectation is to at least stay the same. We have to win 2 games in the last 5 to do that. Why is that to much to expect.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I was very close to throwing things last night but am trying to be calmer this morning. There has been progress under Potter in our performances against teams in the top 6 and this significant. However we really struggle in games when the weight of expectation is on us. Managers of teams in the bottom half know that if they can go in at half time with a position to hold then as long as they keep shape and concentration they are very likely to hold it and that if we do get a chance then there is an increasingly very high probability we will fluff our lines as the half goes on. A problem is that a number of our players look as if hey fear that this is true.
A highly effective and highly priced striker would make a difference but they are difficult to find and the league is littered with expensive failures and that won’t compensate for slow and predictable approach play. Many of the problems may well be psychological which is a surprise given Potter’s academic background. Maybe having crowds back in will help as home fans will apply a different type of pressure and motivation. Overall though I hate watching these games and take no pleasure at all from attractive interplay when I have no expectation of any end product. Last night I decided that the best time to refill my glass in the kitchen was when we had a corner as there was no possibility that I would miss anything.

your last sentence made me chuckle.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The best that can be said about yesterday's result is - oh boy.

The team had an opportunity to slam the threat of relegation shut - instead they kicked the door wide open inviting Fulham to take advantage.

Potter still has not worked out how to stiffen the backbone of this team and if it continues into next season (assuming survival) - things could get very rough.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think we'll finish no better than 15th and around the 35-40 point mark this season AGAIN. And, guess what? That's exactly what'll happen next season too, It'll be like groundhog season. And that's because of our budget, our strikers and, yes, our coach, blindly sticking to the same plan game after game and occasionally making baffling substitutions or no substitutions at all. (The plan, when it works, is beautiful, and not so when it doesn't. It's football's answer to the little girl with the curl).

It's a combination of all those things which is exactly why I did NOT use the word "Potter". Of course [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] did, because he has to.

Of course for the wider football world, finishing around 15th and 35-40 points is all that a club like Brighton should ever aspire to. And it generally IS all that we can aspire to, sure the odd season can be better but the odd season will be worst and you go down. But you already seem to be putting our floor as 15th and 35-40 points, which is a good thing, right? And for many there is a progression visible to aspire to reaching a greater ceiling

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yup, its clear. Its not easy either, our low block has comfortably kept Chelsea out at Stamford Bridge and Liverpool out at Anfield, and kept Man City and Man Utd at bay for large periods at the Etihad and Old Trafford.

But like I say, he's solved a lot of other issues this season and thus why assume he's permanently failed on this one?

Because up to this point he has permanently failed to overcome it, that’s not too say he can’t and won’t find a solution, but as if yet he sends to be bereft of an affective plan b.
I’d also argue that we’ve never really implemented a low block (shudder) which is precisely what Palace and Burnley do, they willingly surrender possession of the ball whilst keeping 2 lines of defence, usually a midfield 5 and defensive 4, as close to their 18 yard box as possible thus suffocating the oppositions ability play through them, they always have the numerical advantage hence they snuff us out with ease.
We didn’t deploy said game plan at Anfield or The Etihad, we always try to maintain possession, it’s just that they’re players are technically better so they can generally maintain possession themselves.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Very honest of you. How are you with that other ridiculous phrase high press?

I'm more on board with that one because (a) it makes more sense, i.e. it defines what the players are doing and (b) its a positive approach that we love when it works. A 'low block' doesn't seem to describe anything (other than perhaps Trossard lieing behind the wall) and is a horrible negative thing when combined with long balls and lone isolated strikers.

But I get why you hate it and shall endeavour to use that less as well :)

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I know it may be hard to believe but I have heard rumblings, only rumours I might add, that our Tone is not happy with our progress. That doesnt mean he is looking to replace Potter but a disastrous end to the season may make Blooms finger get a bit twitchy. I would imagine if there has been interest in Potter, its not beyond the realms of possibility that Bloom has his eye on the Swansea manager if they fail to get promotion. Bloom is always one step ahead of our thinking.

Just a feeling.

Is the Swansea manager really any better than GP? That would be a reset and back to square one.

If Tony does have someone in mind I’d expect better, left field or not.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As if people here actually think TB might be considering sacking Potter is ****ing hilarious.

You understand he’s a numbers man? That’s literally how he makes his money. And unlike some rather dim fans the numbers he looks at is beyond the literal”point tally”.

Potter is not perfect, he’s still learning. But anyone can see if you’ve watched every match this season he has been let down by players missing absolute sitters.

[emoji106]

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Because up to this point he has permanently failed to overcome it, that’s not too say he can’t and won’t find a solution, but as if yet he sends to be bereft of an affective plan b.
I’d also argue that we’ve never really implemented a low block (shudder) which is precisely what Palace and Burnley do, they willingly surrender possession of the ball whilst keeping 2 lines of defence, usually a midfield 5 and defensive 4, as close to their 18 yard box as possible thus suffocating the oppositions ability play through them, they always have the numerical advantage hence they snuff us out with ease.
We didn’t deploy said game plan at Anfield or The Etihad, we always try to maintain possession, it’s just that they’re players are technically better so they can generally maintain possession themselves.

Agree on the low block (shudder) part - so lets call it an effective defensive shape - and yes teams that set out to deliberately surrender possession and leave isolated strikers to be supported by speedy wingers on a counter attack are the true architects of the low block (shudder).

Its that latter part that I think GP has been working on more - avoiding us being short-numbered on the counter and conceding goals which was a real achilles heel. I think we've done well at that, but we're perhaps more committed to retreating against the likes of Chelsea and less so against a Sheffield - their goal was disappointing.

As to overcoming the low block - I would argue that the variety of chances we create suggest he has overcome it in part, but our players refuse to score. New striking option needed, we know that. Plus better at corners (certainly getting there), more clinical on counter attack ourselves (definitely need to work on that), a player who can score a direct free kick from outside the box (come on Tross, you can do that) and a powerful midfield goal-scoring presence a la Soucek (Moder has this written all over him).

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My expectation is to at least stay the same. We have to win 2 games in the last 5 to do that. Why is that to much to expect.

If you read my chain of posts on this thread. I make reference to the season as a whole. I don't claim that everything I say is correct
It's just my personal opinion.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
If you read my chain of posts on this thread. I make reference to the season as a whole. I don't claim that everything I say is correct
It's just my personal opinion.
Im happy with the way we play. I think everyone is but wins seem to be an under rated thing on here.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Which is down to Potter.

Yes. Stop assuming we are the finished article. We've improved in so many areas in the last year and there are still areas to work on. Some will need changes in personnel.

Just have to get out of the mindset of 'we didn't break down a highly defensive team yesterday, so we never will'

In all top-level sport you have to keep overcoming challenges - when something works others will counter it and you have to adapt - that ability to adapt is what determines if you will be a success at the top level.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Here’s one of the reasons why we don’t have as many points as we’d like.

And this doesn’t include recent months and missed penalties. Shouldn’t need to be spelled out, but it ain’t all on the manager.

[tweet]1369687200862965764[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here